Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:56:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#11]
delorted...
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:04:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#12]
deleted
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy crap! You guys could give an old man a brain cramp!

PS hope you all had a merry Christmas,  looks like a possible much better new year

PS again  I'm still worried about the guy (forget name) who was jammed up at Plano Rd and 635 loop
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Now the story is growing volunteers from the roots!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greyguy] [#15]
Edited out...
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#16]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:04:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#17]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#18]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#19]
delorted
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kermit:
Stimpson leaned forward and looked at DCB over the top of his glasses.  
View Quote

OK hang on...I never said I wear glasses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#21]
deleted
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#22]
deleted
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#23]
Thanks guys.

Fan fiction at it's finest!

In truth . . . made me wish this wasn't the last quarter of the year - that I had time to contribute with anything other than admiration and appreciation!

Hat's off to you!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:04:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#24]
delorted
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Loving this keep going.

I would have shot you ten times and hit you in the head with a rock.

Thats making a statement.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#26]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PFunkk] [#27]
Kermit,

You're my hero.

That story is awesome, a little bit of Gehriverse, meets the thread.

Good writing, and great job; please keep going.

Edit: And Stimpson, I've peed on that mailbox a hundred times. I can't fault another man for making the same judgement as to a good place relieve himself.
You and Kermit feel free to come over later. We have plenty of bullets, Ramen noodles, and action movies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Still patiently waiting for the complete book to be released.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#29]

--------Kermit!!!!!!!!  StimpsonJ!!!!!!!!!!  BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT!!!!!!
Absolutely unglued here.  By the time I get to "shoot you ten times and hit with rock"---
Oh FFF on the floor.  Smashed.  And lovely pic lovely girl cranking rounds!!!

Piddler, GreenG, greyguy, Former11b, Trapshooter, yes this is awesome!!!!

Warhawk understood and yes you have been extremely patient--imagine
that as much as you wish a speedier process, I am the same by some
hideous multiple--I am not a natural writer--there is no 'flow'--this is
chisel work, tweezer work, on a floor the size of a stadium, and soon
when this is done, I enter another stadium.  And it is empty. 

This was just a glance in, more later, update promptly, BOOK IS FINISHED,
that does not mean no tinkering in available time, will post on process someday
for the forensically inclined.

Kermit/StimpsonJ many jewels in your posts--please take note--as there are
only "one" of you for all tasks, so would it be here, for instance, I see on the
quickest pass/read about oh an hour or two, minimum of subjects/prompts/
worthy subjects and etceteras--and those hours do not exist at this time.

And now all can see a gear in one of many wheels, now almost three years
ago--THESE ARE THE FOOTNOTES TO THIS STORY, AND YOU ARE WRITING
MANY AND SOMEDAY EVEN....ALL.

And StimpsonJ and Kermit and all yes it would be helpful to see the same
horizon at some point--and the long view of coins and artifact books acquires
meaning, does it not.  Still a work in progress obv., but for those with residual
concerns, please consider that this story is now 150,000 words.  Frame of reference:
Stephen King Salem's Lot, Firestarter, The Shining, and The Dead Zone are all
about 150-160 thousand words.

Additional point: as hopefully evident in the recent updates, this story has a
"design"--in that the entire body is a series of set-ups/prompts/clues for
a series of "reveals" which begin now, and will be titled as "epilogues"
and or "resolutions"--this kind of story is very uncommon.  The "Grand
Complication" watch analogy serves well.  This kind of story can actually
only be done ONE TIME by an author, and very commonly only ONE TIME
in a genre, in this case: sci-fi/post apocalyptic.  The reason being that
anticipating or expecting or assuming the 'reveals' would deny their value.
For instance, I know of one other story, in all of film and fiction, that does
what I am doing here.  If I told you the title?  The value of this story would
be very severely diminished.  NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

Ok, have some time tonight, update....well let's see, but soon.

DCB

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#30]
delorted
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#31]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:20:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#32]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#33]
If DCB has a wife to go home to and if she was anything like mine, she would be telling him I hope you fucking die and the response would be ok honey I love you.  I'm going to bed now. Well I hope you die and then five minutes later wake you up to see if your ok and when you say yes, then go back to I hope you fucking die.

She does that three or four more times and then decides your hungry and brings you left over sausage and eggs cold. Then really gets butt hurt when you pass on the food.

Married for 37 years and remember that like yesterday.  
Oh wait that could have been yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:09:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#34]
---Kermit Kermit Kermit!!!!!  This is FFFFFing brilliant "If that string breaks my head will fall off" AHHHHH!!!
fighting Gabriel last piece of apple pie AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!  I think I just separated a rib laughing oh shit.

GENERAL NOTE: Kermit you know somebody who made a living writing like that--gonzo journalism.

--StimpsonJ/trap/all keep this going.  PFunk if you see this time is getting short, publication soon.

Oh shit that is good stuff Kermit.

--Trapshooter would be very nice if I could use some kind of crutch/chemical/device to speed this process,
but I fear the only ones that work are illegal.  But in my early paleolithic I might have broken some
floor tiles...maybe thrown a toilet through a door...I don't know...can't remember too well...let's see....
I have never broken the laws of this country....in this country...um...knowingly...Ok maybe not knowingly....
um....how about 'maliciously' ok that works....it was a really ugly toilet.  Maybe it was the wrong color.
You know...white.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#35]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#36]
delorted
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#37]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#38]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:09:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#39]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#40]
post moved
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#41]
--Kermit/Stimpson/others juggling a couple of hatchets over here, checking in, and stepping lightly, I hope--

--Kermit. 1. This is really good, many jewels, not surprised--too surprised, at all--devoted readers/big
libraries breed skills and books--but, Kermit, I am feeling a bit of dread.  A matter of tone.  Tricky stuff.
Tone translates poorly in words, like humor--try to tell a joke in a foreign language, etc.-- and I will say
only as a reader that I was hoping for more drunken theatrics, hallucinations, broken toilets, motorcycles
being ridden up and down stairs, and so on.  I don't know if I'm really ready for favorite people being
threatened or getting deaded or Mary being quite on the line with a child like that.  Talking about this
stuff is like trying to describe the sensation of touching individual fabrics, and different weaves
of those fabrics.  An hour or two in a good library would do it, but we don't have that hour, yet.
Maybe DCBourone is still hallucinating all this?  A little, let's say, mescaline in there with the
Double Vodka Car Bomb?  If you would like, please consider this a reference to my tender sensibilities
concerning the real, as opposed to fictional/mythological. Another frame of reference: there are many,
and will be more, references to Thomas Harris/author/Lecter as a literary body/phenomenon, most
of them are buried in the text for the forensically inclined, but relevant here: "Red Dragon" the first
in the trilogy is quite terrifyingly 'real'---and very very grim. Allowing Thomas Harris his privacy--I will
say that I am quite certain about "what he did" with the character/characters in his trilogy, particularly
Lecter, who became "the star"--the Lecter in Red Dragon bites out the tongue of a nurse.  The Lecter
in Silence of the Lambs plays classical music while he kills his guards.  The Lecter in "Hannibal" only
kills the rude and incompetent and nastier than himself, and redeems himself by saving Clarice.
The first Lecter is real.  The later Lecter is suitably fictionalized/mythologized, properly and entertainingly
distant, and we are comfortably separated from his depredations.  In other words, Kermit, if your Mary
is to be threatened, I hope she fixes things promptly, decisively, rinses off, and gets DCBourone properly
wasted, and teaches that child how to carve the tree for a saddle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Ah Kermit I see you posted while I was posting.  Also understand no harm no foul.
If I am being too abstract, let me just say that in fiction I insist upon happy, or
at the very least, ironic, endings.  Real life just being unspeakably grim, I
consider fiction a kind of refuge of the just barely plausibly ideal, with
a tonic of history, because sometimes the good guys do win.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:05:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#43]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#44]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#45]
--kermit again many jewels--the story 'is already there', as you suggest, and it is, long complex subject, which
allows for no privacy, therefore maybe later/someday--and an additional distinction/s, liking/not liking/commerce
audience intended, and accidental--which has everything to do with the 'aim' of the writing/story/and ectceteras--
StimpsonJ said some time back, and I really need to attend to those comments if I have the time, something
like DCBourone is writing the story he hopes/fears and so on--I would expand on this in person some day given
the opportunity--you say that you 'like' writing, which has many possible meanings--I will interpret that statement
here as "satisfying a need/interest/group of interests" as opposed to "like, as in ice cream"--I would say that
I write/compose/design this story and future stories the same way I would shape a useful tool, forge, grind,
polish--I need the tool for something later, for instance this tool among other things is attracting the footnotes, here.
I would say "I like having written" in other words.  But as have said many times, am not a 'natural', there is no "flow"
other than in dialogue, where people speak their minds.  As to critique....hm, let me think, I would say by this
time we all know each other better than we would reasonably express on this forum--nuff said at this time--and
you have a real facility for physical description/event timing, which is actually many other things: remembering first,
which is noticing first, which is having the pre-existing library to KNOW WHAT TO NOTICE, and so on.  Nuff said at
this time.  Many long deep subjects here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Kermit as a reader I understand your investment in your characters. I have a vivid Iimagination when I read and I  always shed a tear when reading about someone or something such as Jonesy going all in to save and protect a loved one. Right now every time I think of Jonesy being done but still thumping his tail makes my eyes water partly because my daughter has a yellow Lab in the same state as Jonesy was just being happy to be alive.

Kermit I like how you describe in detail the thoughts and feelings of your characters.

Maybe after the tempo of all this changes I will share my thought process I was having when I found a dead woman in a shallow grave while out hunting earlier this year.

Since DCB  lives in Elko I will shed a little light on this town. Elko is a close to the old west as you can get living in modern times. It still has working cattle ranches that do it by horse back. It was started by the Rail Road when they crossed the Continent in the 1860's and grew on cattle ranching and now is one of the leading Gold producer's in the world. It has all the vices as well,  gambling,  prostitution,  drugs, unsolved killings and old west type Gunfights. Two weeks ago there was an idiot that brought a Baseball Bat to a gunfight and lost by a huge margin.

People go out in the country and die from exposure all the time. Elko is one of the few places in the world were you can die from hypothermia in the morning and heatstroke in the afternoon.

Many famous people and history makers have lived in Elko.  Bing Crosby, Jimmy Stewart and the owner of Seabiscuit owned Ranches in the area.

Elko is the garden of eden of nevada.

Hope my rambling is ok.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#47]
---Trapshooter, rambling not only Ok but encouraged.  Kermit did a damn fine job.  Elko was
on a short list many years ago for "lots of space and no strangers and own a horse or two"
along with Kingman Arizona for a good friend of mine. Then he bought a bar in the Philippines.
Can't imagine why.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#48]
Trapshooter12 -  Good morning!

On 'short lists'  ---  I've always found it fascinating how many of us have the same 'core' to our short lists.  Places to live, firearms, trucks, dogs....it almost appears that the lists are "issued" to us all in a format that is 3/4 complete and we simply fill in the fringe details from personal preference and life experience.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#49]
--Kermit, get to it!

--Shortlists--ok, observe the cliche here:  "Look, people!"  No....really.  Repeating, but "this would
be worthy of very serious continued study"  This is a "very unusual" story.  How about "Extremely
FFFFFing Unusual" for Many Many Reasons.  Let's not enumerate them at this time.  But this story
has absolutely nothing in common, as in zero, with all/every other story/book in this domain of
post-apocalyptic/sci-fi/doom, other than some people use guns, and a bomb goes off. And then it
is placed on the largest gun forum. In the world.  And it is placed in the "you must read books
to be here" part of that forum.  And there are many many other books in that part of the forum.
And all over Amazon.  And the world.  But certain people ARE READING THIS BOOK.
Patiently....(patience)  Diligently (diligence)
Knowledgeably ( pre-existing....library? )  And then many of them are posting in this thread.
That requires a certain kind of "social courage"---I could go on for many pages.  If anybody
recognizes phrasing that looks "something but definitely not exactly" like this: "diligent/conscientious
meticulous/optimistic/etc. etc. etc. that would be pretty interesting and just hold the thought
for now, mmmkay?  So--This is not an accident,
if you will forgive me.  And this does not mean I will make tons of money, although I think I
will eventually do well.  As a matter of general practice, I don't think any further 'enumeration'
of this audience is particularly wise.  But is it possible that "categories aggregate"--please use
this language, as it is not particularly searchable--?  At a level/degree/of refinement
that would not be "generally discussed"?  Like as far as "carbon steel" or "stainless"?
FAL or M1A?  How about preferences in, oh, the size of a pepper grind?
Could this be....a science?  It is.  And maybe a science that is being used to FFFFF
us real hard?  Crush and mangle.  Distort.  Destroy.  Deny.
Useful relevant
notes: I think it would be really neat if I got to discuss some of this stuff in person
someday, with people "I knew really well."  Really double pus good well, right?
I already know enough. 
Life has been good that way.  But maybe more is better.
Because all kinds of shit is all FFFFEd up.  And much worse than anyone seems to understand.
And there are lots of people here who understand 'a lot."
Another useful note: I have done zero, as in zero, 'research' for this story, and all that will
follow, other than looking at maps to time distances, and a few name/date checks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes Kermit I know where you are talking about those cliffs have always fascinated me.

I almost shit my pants when you brought up the beat up blue truck.
I started peeking out the window and looking up on the ridge with my spotter to see if your up there.

Right now you have picked where I live if by choice or accident and until five years ago I had an old beat up blue Ford 150.

Now if you pick my huntin dog out of this I'm going to go into hiding.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top