Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 84
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Back from my own campaign I drop the bucket into the old well as an act of ceremonial nostalgia, really. And am surprised to hear a splash.

Thank you for the updates.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
So when can we get a completed form of this story on Amazon?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
So when can we get a completed form of this story on Amazon?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#4]
UPDATE FOLLOWS COMMENTS--

--greyguy, I promise you that what I have arranged for Sylvia....will satisfy.  But it is very Gehr, sometimes a poniard,
not a mace.  I have not seen the Kill Bill movies--but Tony is a type, never underestimate Old World Europeans, they
have been doing everything, forever.  Like the Gehrs.

--stimpsonj no you are very correct, see this update, the book of silver is the trigger/first investment
of a process, which will become more apparent in this update.

--ny15 much thanks and more on the way--

--zoe17, yes editing and fiddling, as is my nature, but could publish....well, very soon, watching Amazon/other issues
having some influence.  Feeling un-good about delay, updates are to insure some faith that I am not quitting/dropping
this.  And will not.  Long long plan here, Z.

--TriumpRider very happy to see you again.  Sorry for delays.  Not a pro yet.  We shall see.

--airsix, very pleased to see you.  Hopefully someday I will be a bit more predictable!  ( meaning...timely )....

--TobyLazur--publication....it's always another thirty days, isn't it?  This time, hopefully sooner.

--stimpsonJ, on the timeline of tardiness I have established, just a hop skip and a jump!

-------TEXT REMOVED .RE EPUB TOS ETC.----------
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Edgar Allan Poe

Tony's speech/thought pattern, tone and foreboding reminded me of something. Something old, written. Then it hit me. Poe

I doubt that was your intent, but you nailed it.

He was weird as shit, but Poe was the master of what he did. He could communicate complication, foreboding, and despair; perfectly.

There's more substance in the context of what Tony says, than what is actually said. His words and perspective could only have been born from from things far greater than the words alone would indicate.

That's all.

Keep on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]

--PF dead on perfect on Poe.  I was thinking of this "The Casque of Amontillado" when writing Sylvia's denouement.
Casque is a story of revenge, where the victim is walked through a crypt, and finally entombed.  Entombment.
Remember this when you see what happens to Sylvia.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#7]
as usual, another excellent update. I look forward to the release of the book.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#8]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

--PF dead on perfect on Poe.  I was thinking of this "The Casque of Amontillado" when writing Sylvia's denouement.
Casque is a story of revenge, where the victim is walked through a crypt, and finally entombed.  Entombment.
View Quote

Very nice.  The fingerprints of Gehr Waffenfabrik and the Men on the Hill are subtle.  Probably too subtle and long of process for Billy as he's so young.  I suspect Pop Gehr....
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks D.C.

I can recall writing a symbol paper in 6th grade on Poes Fall of the House of Usher. Yeah I was a nerd in gifted school.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
"For the love of God, Montresor!"

Looking forward to the end of the "thousand injuries".
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]

--ny15 much thanks.  And we're almost there.

--highstepper, exactly on Gehr Waffen and The Men On The Hill.  This was a very long campaign.  It will reach past
this book, if this all works out.  Tony is now a Librarian, full vested.  You will see why in the next several updates.
Billy's role will be seen in a new light in the final.  More below on The Resolution of Sylvia.

--zoe17, we are collecting nerds here.  Welcome.

--Designated, and GENERAL NOTE: Soldier's Son finishes with a series of "Epilogues"--each addressing a specific
question, theme, character, conflict.  All are resolved.  I will repeat this GENERAL NOTE MANY TIMES to insure
it is seen by all.  IT IS ESSENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE to "Repeat" this story, in this genre.  It can only be done once,
BECAUSE IT IS WRITTEN 'AGAINST' THE GENRE.  If I give examples of the phenomenon in other fiction, or film,
it would constitute a very very serious spoiler.  I will however by able to stay in this world of this story as long as
I can afford to.  I refer only to the "Resolutions," the expansion of 'scale'/the size of the Gehriverse, some of the
methods they use.  Some devices can only be used once.  For the visible future I will be able to stay in the
Gehriverse, I just won't be able to structure a story this way.

--Designated, I am finishing here with the Resolution of Sylvia because it will prove that the story is done, and it
suggests/includes all the other Epilogues.  Because Sylvia was the specific agent/instigator/seed of this assault
on Higher Values, a required part of her resolution is that she see the totality of her crimes, and that her punishment
specifically address those crimes.  Every.  Single.  One.  Tony is the perfect vehicle for this exposition: he is not
innocent, he changed sides, and he knows exactly, and in the most excruciating detail, what has happened.

Ok, back to fiddling, editing, spinning stars on a wand.

DCB

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, DCB.

You have outdone yourself. These last installments have been exquisitely crafted.

Simply outstanding.

You, yourself, must be quite remarkable to imagine such a character/dialog - not to mention the story itself. I can hardly wait to hold physical pages in my hands.

Perhaps, personally inscribed? (hint, hint)
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:25:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#13]
--Former11B!  good to see you.  To the extent any of this is "fun"--Tony is a great pleasure to write/see/observe.
Dialogue and content is far and away the most 'pleasurable' to write--the characters speak for themselves,
I know who they are, they know who they are--these are intrinsically interesting people, why else observe
them, and not someone else, right?--the real tweezing/grinding/polishing/ is descriptions of events/actions/
places/objects of significance, timed to the rest of the story.  Imagine a camera lens of infinite resolutions,
near, and far.  At what do you aim it?  And for how long?  My personal version of this story would be, I shit
you not, 1500 pages.  Tony has a terrific amount to say, he is fascinated with his own predicament, horrifed
by Sylvia ( you will see soon ) delighted with, and terrified of Gehr Waffen, one dinner with him and he would
ruminate, ponder, analogize....all ffing night.  But I have to edit him, because this is a 'book.'--There is ton
of stuff he noticed about the Gehr artifact book, but I just don't have time to put it in, and justify conventions
of 'books.'  For instance, Gehr artifact books are screwed together along the spine, the screws are 'justified'
the same way you find on Holland/Holland/Purdey/W.Richards best/bespoke guns.  Very expensive.  Very
beautiful.  The body of Gehr books are silver, not gold, because silver requires maintenance, it oxidizes,
this is a way of forcing that the books are attended to.  The books are hinged, not glued, then. 
Gehr Artifact books are meant to last....forever.  They go in a library.  A permanent record of Gehr
involvement in certain events.  For....a really long time.  You will see.

Edit--yes some books must be solid, and for people here, I would be honored to sign them.  I have no
idea what the 'lifestyle' of being a writer would be--but clearly some arrangements must be made.
I still have to make Piddler's book, and I think I am already karmically obligated for at least one more.
We shall see. First I have to stop tinkering with this one, swallow my disgust with Amazon etc. and
hit publish button.  We are getting pretty close....

Edit--hm, interesting person, me.  Um yeah I would qualify.  A lot of it is simply not credible, which
is going to be a problem at some point.  Maybe.  GENERAL NOTE: this will be repeated over time,
because it is part of a defined task--everyone here has been very very courteous about saying
why/how/who are far as I am concerned.  I am very grateful, for two reasons 1. I don't need scrutiny or
applause--and I am pretty much the last person who would look forward to random and unexpected
contacts.  This does not mean in any way that I do not appreciate approval of a job well done, or
that I won't eventually need the income from writing as a profession (we shall see) and 2. VERY
FFFFING IMPORTANT--WE ARE INUNDATED WITH 'SALES' MECHANISMS, the most critical of which
is 'visibility' which is dependent upon becoming a 'personality' which is dependent on manipulation.
Even if I believe I am providing value, if I become a 'personality' I am with my participation approving
of a process I pretty much loathe.  I will eventually meet some of you.  It will be immediately evident
that I am a plausible vehicle for this kind of material.  I could become a 'personality'--if I ever do,
or am forced to, I will notify everyone here, and explain why.  If I ever do videos, and I am severely
tempted in many domains, artifacts, using artifacts, I will be one of those assholes wearing a mask.
And whatever I have to say will be presented as a reasonably bright student discussing human nature,
physics, cultural anthropology, psychology as a behaviorist, not a Freudian, and so on.  Our world is
vastly more fucked up and strange than I can reasonably say.  We got a tiny tiny tiny little peek
in this last political reversal.  If I ever get huge and rich and famous
I will build Malcomb's Fucking Inconel Tower and perch up there and do some...different things.
Yeah...that's gonna happen.  Not.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#14]
How much to craft "The Soldier's Son" into such a cover/binding?

Seriously, this literary masterpiece deserves no less.

I confess that I'm not a fan of your formatting, sometimes. But, the story and characters are truly fantastic (yet, frighteningly believable at the same time). You should be immensely proud of your creation(s).
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:16:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#15]
--Former11B, it's chat!!!  Crafting solid books, I think about it all the time.  Unfortunately like any hand craft it
is batshit expensive--I have seen some pretty good estimates of what the top custom gunmakers earn per
hour, it is heartbreaking.  The top top guys are looking very often at 40 bucks an hour.  I priced out a real
silver book design just for the hell of it, and yes you can buy sheet silver in various thicknesses, and I couldn't see
any way to make anything that was not hundreds of dollars.  Piddler's book is going to be leather, and screwed
together, silver dollar embedded high right, I still am not happy with how to fix/pin/screw the coin on, and I
don't want to use epoxy.  We shall see.  And...proud....hm...there is some cognitive stuff there--I have a very
clear sense of "what made this book", process, design, craft.  I would say I am not 'unproud'--but I am very
aware of people who do what I am doing with both more natural talent, craft, and industry.  I am not really
a 'writer' it is sort of an accidental ability, consequence of extreme habits of observation/judgement/memory.
There is some stuff I'm pretty good at.  We're finding out how good I am at this. Right now. 

On formatting indexing, understood.

Ok check this out FB, this is a design feature, specifically due to my concerns that, let's say, modern reading styles,
do not favor data rich texts in which the reader has to fffing pay attention to what occurs/is seen/etc.  I am literally
spreading the text out, to delay the eye, and therefore the mind, as it processes unfamiliar information.  An
experiment, then.  And yes it is going to bug people.

Edit--this is fun.  Take my mind of those fuckwits at Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
This is what you get when someone has a Steam Powered Automatic Comma Hammer, a Pneumatic Prose Polisher, and the finest set of Detail Engraving Tools to go along with the status as Librarian and no outside imposed time limit!

Keep up the good work DCB and we (at least I am) still waiting FAIRLY patiently!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you again, (Dc, and everyone who participates in discussion here) this is a great "experience".  It's been said before, but the comments here alone are enough to keep me checking in.  The story is the icing on the cake.

I'm very exited to have the whole story, but I fear that the discussion will stop soon after.  I hope it does not.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:.

“We stop, eventually. Women without shoes do not run.”
View Quote

And so Sylvia begins to understand what it must have been like for all of those that came before her. The ones she turned a blind eye to...

Awesome stuff DC thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
What did Authors do before Amazon was invented.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By kermit:
A remedy for Sylvia.....

I humbly propose Montresor's gift to Fortunato.  The stage has been set (somewhat) by the parting words from the room service guy.  

Although, truly, the how will depend on the who.

June 2nd, 2015.   Page 25 in the current format.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#21]
Thoughts on the subject of how to attach Piddler's coin to his book:

A) -  Look into how conchos are attached to belts, chaps, and saddles.  A bit of silver solder to attach a nut to the back of the coin, a leather punch, and a screw.  

B)  -  Machine slots into the coin near the edges on opposite sides.....think 1960's slot-mag wheels.  Cut the leather for the cover so that there are straps of leather available in the location of the coin.  Lace the coin onto the cover using a half hitch at each slot.  Repeat for the other side(s).  The loose ends can dangle or be tucked inside the cover.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DCBourone: I still am not happy with how to fix/pin/screw the coin on, and I
don't want to use epoxy. 
View Quote

If I may...?

If the cover is leather, then cut a hole through both the outer and inner leather sheets maybe 1/8" less that the radius of the coin and allow the coin to sit in the circular recess between the two sheets.  A circular piece of channel IN the cover.  It additionally allows access to the front and back of the coin.  Stitching near the edge would add retention...and style.

Epoxy is the very opposite of a 'forever' artifact...which is why it is repulsing you, of course.

In other news I came into some antlers that may be sufficient for a bone handle...time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#23]
UPDATE FOLLOWS COMMENTS--

--GreenGiant good to see you and yes the tools are working overtime in edit, probably a lot of stuff that
only I see while I digest the Amazon debacle.  Unlimited time I'm afraid not so much--on the other hand
this is 'close' to what I would like to do, if I had unlimited time.  Will discuss at some point: books that
"Must" be written, this is one, how they fit genre tropes, and so on.  Big weird topics.

--DFarm good to see you and the comments are essential--there purpose will emerge over time, some
obvious, some not so much.  It is my intention/hope that the comments continue as hopefully other/new
people find the book, and then this thread, and the thread concept(s) continue through this and other
books.

--greyguy exactly correct, her future fate is specifically calculated to every sin/crime she has committed/
encourage/allowed, the removal of the shoes and the nail are the first signs.  There will be many many
more.

--Trapshooter12, before internetz and Amazon writers were slaves of printing houses. Yes.  Slaves.  Absent
capital no books existed.  I would have zero zero zero chance of 'being a writer' if I had to function in
conventional publishing, I have seen the contracts, and etc. etc. etc.  The problem is that Amazon is now
rapidly duplicating every coercive habit of the legacy publishers and any other monopoly.  Very fffed up
stuff going on.

--Kermit on Poe!!!!!!  That is stunning, K.!!!!!  I wish I could remember, in this fog of life and story, what
reaction I had to your note at the time--I would have had some measure of startlement, that you had
anticipated/sensed/seen that far into my process--the "Design" of this story, and its intention, predates
any posting here, and part of that design is the intent that some ( if any ) might see the precedents
in language, all classics, Poe among them, there are others, and perhaps return to some of those
classics.  Stunning pattern recognition, K, that you would anticipate the place of Poe here.  
GENERAL NOTE: OFF OF Kermit's note here--this is "one of" the reasons I am doing this.
Nuff said at this time.  More later.  Someday.

--kermit on coin/cover--I will have to investigate/fiddle with all of these--the problem so far is mass/thickness
disturbance of book cover feng shui.

--StimpsonJ on slot/channel, that is a very possible solution.  Like any other material project the physical
book(s) which were always an essential part of this fantasy marches with its own burden of tasks.  My
intention has always included the presentation of some Gehr modified artifacts as well, knives might
even be seen as...a critical need.  Someone with a Gehr sensitivity to proportion, balance, and line,
made the Musso bowie, and remains nameless.  A shame.

---TEXT REMOVED .RE EPUB TOS---------
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I have books that I have saved through out the years with the thought that whoever gets them after I'm gone will enjoy them as much as I have and maybe wonder a little about the owner.

The sad part about the middle East is that that they destroyed the great Libraries of the past because the new comers claim the are more Holy than the past generations so it must be destroyed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
In the previous update: I think Aeropagitica should be Areopagitica
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Posted: Today 4:46:43 PM MST

--Kermit on Poe!!!!!!  That is stunning, K.!!!!!  I wish I could remember, in this fog of life and story, what
reaction I had to your note at the time--I would have had some measure of startlement, that you had
anticipated/sensed/seen that far into my process--the "Design" of this story, and its intention, predates
any posting here, and part of that design is the intent that some ( if any ) might see the precedents
in language, all classics, Poe among them, there are others, and perhaps return to some of those
classics.  Stunning pattern recognition, K, that you would anticipate the place of Poe here. 
GENERAL NOTE: OFF OF Kermit's note here--this is "one of" the reasons I am doing this.
Nuff said at this time.  More later.  Someday.
View All Quotes

--Kermit on Poe!!!!!!  That is stunning, K.!!!!!  I wish I could remember, in this fog of life and story, what
classics.  Stunning pattern recognition, K, that you would anticipate the place of Poe here. 
Nuff said at this time.  More later.  Someday.

Ask and ye shall receive....

Posted: 6/4/2015 3:14:54 AM MST

--kermit, just....wow.  Had to go look up references.  Just wow.  Stepping into

spoiler territory, but not so deeply as to affect the surprise I've already written.

Lot's of Librarians here.  Good ffing job, K.

<<<<snip>>>>

--kermit on coin/cover--I will have to investigate/fiddle with all of these--the problem so far is mass/thickness
disturbance of book cover feng shui.

--StimpsonJ on slot/channel, that is a very possible solution.  Like any other material project the physical
book(s) which were always an essential part of this fantasy marches with its own burden of tasks.  My
intention has always included the presentation of some Gehr modified artifacts as well, knives might
even be seen as...a critical need.  Someone with a Gehr sensitivity to proportion, balance, and line,
made the Musso bowie, and remains nameless.  A shame.

We've now moved from a commercially viable cover intended to create interest (and therefore sales) to a bespoke cover on a Book presented to a Librarian by the Author.  A quite different situation indeed.  Perhaps the coin should be the only element of the cover.  Treat the cover as if it were the escutcheon of a coat of arms, positioning the coin at the honour point.  Don't merely attach the coin, weave the coin into the very fabric of the cover.  The coin becomes the cover.  Saint George, on a horse rampant sinister, slaying a dragon crawling in base, the triumph of good over evil, and the restoration of harmony.  

Heading to the kitchen now for a bit more of the Glenmorangie to lubricate the synapses.  I need about two more drinks to sufficiently address this cover in the poetic manner it deserves.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:  Someone with a Gehr sensitivity to proportion, balance, and line,
made the Musso bowie, and remains nameless.  A shame.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DCBourone:  Someone with a Gehr sensitivity to proportion, balance, and line,
made the Musso bowie, and remains nameless.  A shame.

In the maker's world, I assure you this person feels no shame.

There is no higher praise to a maker than for someone...ages distant...to love their work.

Well....maybe there is ONE praise higher.

Originally Posted By DCBourone: “So you can see why I returned to my uncle. And asked how together we might be of service…"

I was forced to LOL.  And again...longer.

Of all the things Tony has said to Silvia this should be the most terrifying to a power broker such as herself.

You have assumed you were the puppet-master...if you can muster the courage...look up.  If you can challenge the shadows shepherding you...look behind you.

You have no coin with which to pay this ferryman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:48:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#28]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:54:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#29]
The Quinta Ruban is working its' ancient magic....

The book.  

The pages themselves should be individually scored on the fold line.  Yes it will take time, but all good things do.  A jig made from strips of masking tape applied to the base of the scoring machine will aid in consistency.  Pop in a copy of Braveheart and start scoring pages.  By the time the Scots charge the fields at Bannockburn you should be mostly done scoring.  If you really want to go the extra mile, pre-fold each page with a bone folder to ensure a clean fold and easy page turning.  

The cover.

I'm envisioning a distressed leather cover, dyed the color of arterial blood.  Two thicknesses of 10 ounce leather, the type used for gun belts, should provide enough stiffness for the front and back covers.  The edges should be hand stitched and burnished.  The coin would be inletted into the first layer of leather at the honour point of the cover, not including the binding strip in the centering calculations.  A concho stud silver-soldered to the back of the coin would join with a screw through the cover to retain the coin.  

No other decoration or endorsement would appear on the cover.  None. At. All.

A fair amount of preparation would be required to build the spine.  A precise mock up of the book would have to be created.  The spine and binding strip would be made from a composite of several pieces of leather.  One piece will form the outer layer of the spine, but the inner layer will need to be 3 pieces with some space in between to allow the spine to fold into a [ shape.  All of these pieces will of course be hand stitched.  

The exact mock up of the book is needed because the spine leather would be wet molded to wrap exactly around the spine like a fine holster.  Once the spine leather has been properly wet molded, the pages and the spine assembly can be drilled using a Lawson "Style B" paper drilling bit (available from CFS Binding Supplies).  

To assemble the spine and cover, use binding glue and the appropriate binding press (or a couple of C-clamps and some wood) but substitute kevlar fabric for the traditional book cloth.  The cutting and placement of the kevlar cloth will be intricate, but you want this to be personal, correct?  You may need to experiment to find the appropriate glue to bond kevlar to leather.  

Assemble the pages and the spine/cover assembly using brass screws that will require periodic maintenance.  

I can see it in my mind.  It's beautiful.

My God what a pain in the ass that would be to build.  

It might be simpler to weld a cover out of AR500 plate.  Hit it a couple of times with something big (think .338 or larger) and then braze the coin to the steel.  A couple of piano hinges and you've got a book with MASS.  Bonus points if your hits can match the pattern on the gate to Waffenfabrik #6.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#30]
back when the paperback book was first introduce, the literati wailed and gnashed their teeth about the end of the craft of writing...

the opposite happened - books became more accessible and writing flourished...

with the internet/e-books, a good book will still make money. The problem I see is we are not creating "readers'...

The idea of the gehr bound book is fascinating... vellum is indeed a durable material... the problem with the other organic materials is things like to eat them...

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:14:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#31]
UPDATE VERY SOON--

--Trapshooter12, on books as relics, absolutely, terrible that they are so fragile, I had access to an original/first
edtion of "Man Eaters of Tsavo" which I read constantly, revisited, a formative text, and it was not mine,
improperly stored, and is now a solid block of mold.  An extremely sub-optimal outcome.  I still know where
it is.  On the lost libraries, exactly, this is a cancer ongoing, extremely fierce and desperate, obv., it is part
of and will eventually be subsumed by "the end of work"--which is very soon.

--Field/MP in my drafts I have every possible spelling of Aropag you can imagine, even now, looking
at this emerging text, I cannot spell it from memory.  Have to look it up. Every time.  My original spelling,
from memory....just wow.  Will be corrected.  GENERAL NOTE: I am a horrible speller.  I make every possible
traditional spelling mistake possible.  Very interesting brain/neuro processing language relevant, long subject,
maybe later.

--Kermit on Poe!!!!  Much thanks resurrecting/finding, K.  If I can rebuild the sensation of seeing your first
comment, it would have been a vague unease, the minds here in concert could figure out and reveal many
and possibly all spoilers/methods--and also some real interest, that so very early someone might have figured
out some sources/methods/design.  There are many many "blocks" of text which have specific classic precedents.
Injured Reserves is nothing but classical references, a few modern, beginning with Homer and working through
skaldic/Norse, and Shakespeare, Byron, Yeats, etc etc etc, all the way to M.C.Smith/Gorky Park, which I believe
is the finest original text of the last fifty years.

--StimpsonJ, on maker's world, understood, my interest quite selfish, but I would very much hope the Musso
bowie Smith maker got more than an 'attaboy'--which is very possible.  Absent "naming" as "good/excellent"
some good designs can disappear in the murk.  Case in point, if I may be so bold, this book.  I know what it
is.  I can prove it.  But if it is not "named" as "good" by enough people, in public, I will eventually have to do
something else.  It becomes an obscure chunk of verbal chisel work, and finally, disappears, and so do I,
as a writer.  I interpret the fate of the Musso Maker quite personally.  I hope he got to make more knives,
and not barrel hoops, horseshoes, and nails.

--StimpsonJ  on the resolution of Sylvia--it will be my great pleasure as a story-teller to extend the slow
reveal on Sylvia's dawning comprehension that there is a power greater than her own, episodic, obscure,
but deeply interested in her fate.  She stirred a wizard.  And a killer of dragons.  And she lit a match.
In his library.

--Kermit, "light reading on The Long March"--awesome!  A perfect reference.  Imagine how many
Billy Gehrs are buried behind those words.  Dozens.  Possibly, hundreds.

--Kermint, on artifact books, oh yep and see how the mind tangles with every possible possibility, cubed.
Now imagine I do the same things with words.  And sentences.  And paragraphs.  And punctuation. 
Not the story, the story is tempered metal, a little flexible, but intact. WRITING the story, oh no.  If I
were a faster/better writer, and a better marketer, this story would have been...three four or five hundred
page books.  More time to aim the camera, and describe EXACTLY what it sees. 

--heron163, on books/reading, exactly.  This is purposeful, because reading for anything other than escape
and entertainment requires thinking, and thinking is dangerous.  We are obv. in a kind of 'consciousness' war
and always have been.

--Radiohack, missing Radiohack.  Where you at?

Back to work.  Update soon.

DCB
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Excellent work DC. Again thanks for the updates. Seems the wordsmith is flourishing in you.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#33]
For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
-John Milton
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#34]

--good to see you Zoe17, yes I made/forced some time here at the end, very mindful
Christmas, end of year, etc.  Story/book essentially, done, only not done insofar as
the Amazon/publishing issue allows/forces more time to 'polish'--very much hoping
at some point I can make this process the single driver/structure in my life.  Don't
know how much faster I will be able to 'write' but I will be more predictable, I think.

GENERAL NOTE: abstract, maybe interesting to some--a story with this many layers
can/is only "done" by force of arbitration--a date, a publishing strategy, a debt,
a bet.  It can/should be near infinitely expanded.  The Tony/Resolution Sylvia a
best example.  He has noticed much more than I have time/structure/story
structure to 'show.'  I am 're-packing'/observing some of his interests in these
updates, because I have some extra time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#35]

--DesignatedM, yes, I hope you see this, you are seeing pretty deep into my method,
interests, concerns, sources.  Giant minds back then set the stage for all that follows,
and is substantially suppressed/lost/denied. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#36]
Just checked Amazon.  No book.    
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Kermit I never did get to shoot one of those.  

When I first started shooting Trap in the early 90's I was at a poker shoot and watched a guy throw one in the garbage can.
I thought if this guy is serious and it's still there at tbe end of the day it's going home with me.

It didn't have the wood on it that your's has but it was still a model 12. Unfortunately it didn't go home with me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#38]

--Kermit, "light reading on The Long March"--awesome!  A perfect reference.  Imagine how many
Billy Gehrs are buried behind those words.  Dozens.  Possibly, hundreds.

DCB
View Quote

How many Billy Gehrs?   By most accounts, Donal O'Sullivan left Glengarrif with approximately 1,000 men, women, and children of the clan.  They fought their way north in January of 1602.   When they reached the shelter of O'Rourke castle, 14 days and almost 300 miles later, there were 35 survivors.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#39]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By kermit:
 Whenever someone did something truly stupid my great-grandmother would say "Sure'n it's the Watkins comin' out in ya'".
View Quote

I love it!
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#41]
GENERAL NOTE:  for The Everlasting Collection
Of The Patient--I am going to miss Christmas publication, but not by
much. Short form: I am learning more about Amazon every day
--kermit, book, very fffing soon.  The 12 is freaking gorgeous.  Another great art/function tool that became too expensive to manufacture.
Stunning, dude.

--Trapshooter don't leave model 12's in garbage cans not for one second like you don't know now.

--kermit, 35 survivors...oh man...yes I have long been a student of such stories, shades of "Pistol Pete" in this story, a tiny tiny chapter--
because that is what it was like and what stands....looms....behind us.

--kermit--Englishman, awesome.

--StimpsonJ, exactly!

--Radiohack, where you at.  Speak.

And a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and most definitely not happy hollidays.

UPDATE VERY SOON, publication shortly.

DCB
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#42]
A pre-Christmas publication would've been nice, DCB, but don't sweat it. Let's count our blessings tonight and know it's all in His hands to play out as He sees fit. Right, bro?

As for all here, participating in this unbelievably awesome thread, let me wish you all a very, very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, safe and prosperous New Year.

God bless.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#43]

--Former11B good to see you and yes pre-Christmas would have been ideal for many reasons.
Much appreciate patience.  And there are advantages/ less, to early year pub.
And...enough about that at this time.
Merry Christmas, without which this pre apocalypse would be infinitely worse.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Merry Christmas to you too!

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#45]
Merry Christmas you filthy animals.

ETA: Our third Christmas together!
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#46]
God Bless All Here!   Merry Christmas everyone  
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Merry Christmas, fellow librarians.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Merry Christmas all...
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#49]

GENERAL NOTE:  THE BOOK IS DONE.  Publication will be very FFFing soon in the New Year/New Month.

And a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and most definitely not happy hollidays.

UPDATE VERY SOON, publication shortly.

DCB
View Quote
Happy Days are (nearly) Here!  I hope that everyone on this thread had a Very Merry ( and Blessed) Christmas indeed.  I know I did surrounded by loving family and celebrating the birth of Our Savior.  The near term publication of DCB's Labor of Love / Necessity is an added bonus Gift! 

Will the Steam Automatic Comma Hammer fire up in the New Year for the next chapter in the Gehr Saga?  Only DCB knows!
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kermit] [#50]
Still waiting almost patiently.  

I had a long, slow drive home from work due to an idiot that slept through both physics and drivers' ed.  

<<< snip >>>  post moved
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top