Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2014 6:38:13 AM EDT
Really, more of a concept dump.  Figured some folks might smirk at the idea.

In the distance, coyotes howled.  Agent Vincennes reached over and touched his rifle for reassurance without pulling away from the high-power night vision device on the tripod in front of him.  After two days and three nights of surveilling this lonely stretch of desert on the border of New Mexico and Arizona, the parties he’d spent waiting for from atop this rock outcrop had finally arrived.

Several hundred yards away, he watched a late model SUV with a tarp across its bed roll across the desert and come to a halt facing south.  Once, twice, three times it flashed its headlights.  That was thirty minutes ago.  As he watched the scene in green monochrome,  a line of armed men emerged from the desert scrub.He keyed his radio once, and paused.   The counter-sign, a squelch break, never happened.  

“Goddamn it,” he whispered to himself and checked the radio, then glanced through the night vision again. Twelve men, armed with what appeared to be AKs and M-16s approached the truck carrying heavy bundles on their backs.  

“What the shit’s going on down there?  Sonofabitch,” the Agent cursed and rapped his radio.

The pop-hiss of a can opening split the night behind him, and he rolled and went for his sidearm.  

“Relax, Agent Vincennes, we’re not your enemies,” the dark figure sitting behind him stated.

“Hands where I can see them!”

“Oh, don’t be that way, Agent.  Holster your weapon.  You’re in no danger, I’m just here to chat,” the shape said as it held its hands up, beer still in hand.

“Chat?  You’re interfering with a Federal investigation,”

The figure chuckled, “Oh, we’re doing a bit more than that, Agent Vincennes.  You might want to take a look, it’s about to get interesting.”

Curious, he looked back through the scope as the line of men climbed out of the wash in front of the SUV.  Partially concealed by the cab, he saw movement in the bed and then the men reflexively brought their hands up as the SUV’s headlights popped on and washed out the NV image.  Looking around the device through the dark, he watched the line of men all stagger and fall to the desert sand.  Most of a second later, the wind carried a staccato of soft pops.

“Holy shit,” the Agent said as the headlights went dark.

“Holy shit is right,” the man behind him agreed.

Through the night vision, Vincennes watched as several armed men hopped off the back of the truck and several bushes on the far side of the truck stood up and moved toward the fallen men.

“Don’t bother with the radio, it’s jammed.  So’s the video feed for your drone overhead.”

“What?”

“The point of this little chat, Agent, is to let you know that this desert is ours, and while we trust you, the American people have decided they can’t trust your bosses.  If they won’t fix the problem, we will.  Oh, and I’ll save you some time writing your report.  The folks down there are collecting information, weapons, and whatever else those folks just carried in from Mexico while putting the bodies in the back of the truck next to the Cartel folks who stole the SUV.  Questions?”

“Who are you guys?”

“Just American citizens tired of watching politicians refuse to do their jobs, Agent.  Though, I suppose you could call us land pirates.  Pirates of the Mohave.”

“The Mohave is on the other side of Arizona,” Agent Vincennes said to the figure as it slid down the rock outcrop.

“Yep, but it sounds better than Pirates of the Chihuahua, doesn’t it?   Have a good night, Agent.”

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Dammit! Where is the "Like" button??
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep it going, please
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it going, please
View Quote

Hah,  that will take a bit.   This idea was burning a hole in my head,  so I had to write something about it out.   Figured the good folks here on ARF would appreciate the concept.    Unlike my last attempt at SHTF fiction, this one will not be slow-boiled because I'm lazy.   Nope, I'm about 30k words into a sword/sorcery fantasy novel, and that's my primary focus ATM.

On the plus side, I am going to clear it with staff to do some basic "Hey look!" stuff here,  seeing as that will hopefully be my first completed novel.   Beyond that, Pirates of the Mohave is a side project I need to percholate a bit more.   Lots of questions I have yet to ask myself and answer before I'm comfortable writing it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I LIKE IT!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lookin good to me too. More please.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I like your style Storm, the adventure book you are writing sounds good too!
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Mohave?  You mean Mojave?
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seen it spelled both ways.

Not that wikipedia is a citable source,  but... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not that wikipedia is a citable source,  but... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wierd.  Never seen it your way, and I grew up 2 hours from it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shrug* Honestly, I haven't been out that way in forever and once you'd said that, I was like "Erf?  Really? Damnit, I'm a dumbass" followed by some googling to doublecheck stuff.  Alternate spelling is probably because people are idiots and have trouble spelling, like myself evidently.   Either way, when I get around to actually writing a more detailed story, I'll make sure to not use the idiot spelling
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

*shrug* Honestly, I haven't been out that way in forever and once you'd said that, I was like "Erf?  Really? Damnit, I'm a dumbass" followed by some googling to doublecheck stuff.  Alternate spelling is probably because people are idiots and have trouble spelling, like myself evidently.   Either way, when I get around to actually writing a more detailed story, I'll make sure to not use the idiot spelling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol!  Hey, if it's an approved spelling, go for it.

Though I think it's funny that you spelled Chihuahua correctly!  

Either way, good teaser.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This needs to be a book very cool story.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This needs to be a book very cool story.
View Quote

Well, it's definitely on my short list of things to work on.  On the plus side, I'm at about 50k words with the fantasy story right now.  Think I was closer to 20k when I first posted this teaser  At this rate, maybe a month or two from now I should be done with the content generation, then comes editing and the like.

As an aside, since I do intend on following up on the Pirates idea, if you guys wouldn't mind expanding a bit on your comments a bit, I really would appreciate it.

I know it sounds kind of retarded for me to ask stuff like "Why did you like this?" or "Where do you see this going?"  but one of the things I really want to do is understand what parts, not just of the writing, but of the story concept that folks really like.   That helps me with how I lay out everything else.

Otherwise, some themes I know I'll have to deal with, with Pirates, is how do they deal with what they see?  I'm not talking just the "Hey, we just killed half a dozen fuckheads out in the middle of the desert", which, by itself, would bother some folks... I figure that type of person wouldn't be volunteering to do this, but you never know, really, until you have built the group and the like.   What I'm getting at is that not every operation they knock over is necessarily going to be this smooth (ie. no injuries/losses for the Pirates) nor will said operations be set up quite the same way.   They could hit a 18-wheeler on the interstate, expecting it to have weapons/money, and find out it's a load of weed/meth/coke/whatever.... or a coyote running illegals.   How they deal with that speaks of their character.  I mean, do they take guns/money only?  Do they take only certain drugs and burn the rest?  Do they sell them to fund their operation? Are some folks taking said drugs and using?  Do they turn the illegals lose, or seal the rig and someone notifies INS?  Lots of possibilities, lots of interpretations, and potential for conflict...  and that's not even addressing that sooner or later, the cartels will get tired of their shit and send folks to "deal" with them.  That, and the Feds don't like competition.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the premise, seems like you've put quite a bit of time and effort into it.
How many of the pirates would be former or current military or LE?
You need some engineers and technical trades for support, that way they can pull off some pretty elaborate capers.
They definitely need to keep the cash they come across...
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like the premise, seems like you've put quite a bit of time and effort into it.
How many of the pirates would be former or current military or LE?
You need some engineers and technical trades for support, that way they can pull off some pretty elaborate capers.
They definitely need to keep the cash they come across...
View Quote

Group that came to mind starts off with a pair of hunting buddies, former .mil, who have a really shitty day out in the desert... by the most entertaining point, they would have a smattering of former .mil, former LE, active LE, and a few well placed spooks.  Them getting the drop on the BP agent was not an accident  After all, they knew the drone was there, got in anyway, and got out without it ever seeing shit.  :)

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the story can go two ways.  

The easier way follows the theme of "Gov't is corrupt or inept, these guys are fed up, turn to vigilantism to keep homes/state/country safe from gangsters/criminals, rally support of people, etc."  You will fit in with most of the e-books available now on Kindle in this general theme.

The harder and possibly better way will examine a few things your teaser raises.  Vigilantism, almost by definition in this case, is hypocrisy.  It is a complete rejection of the Constitution the Pirates probably view as a foundational document in their lives.  If ex mil/leo, these guys have sworn to uphold it.  And yet, there they are, taking life and property without due process of law.  If they are smart enough to disable drones, they are probably smart enough to have to struggle with that at some level.  Next, being the AZ desert and crossing the feds, their actions may be viewed as hate crimes by the media, the government and probably foreign governments.  What happens to these guys when they are painted as an anachronistic hate mongering militia by every TV station in the country ('Government sources say these were undocumented immigrants coming to America for a better life, murdered in cold blood in the desert")?  They may have a few supporters, but they will be outlaws in the public mind.  That may be very hard for smart professional people like engineers with real careers and families.  Will someone start trying to cut a deal?  If so, what do the Pirates do to one of their own who may snitch?

Either way, I enjoyed reading your teaser and look forward to where it goes from here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the theme of the government is corrupt and not keeping americas borders safe, i also like how much detail you put into the setting of the story i really hope you keep with it, it would be a good read.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting and well written, thank yoiu.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
May have another teaser section "soon", depends on what my muse decides to do :P  Should be the initial set-up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a great start!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks good so far. As for "tendencies" (that right ?) what do you think of the polarity of the population of the good ol' USA right now? Most folks just wanna get on with their lives. Don't mess with them or the living they 're trying to make and they'll hope it will go away. Mostly late 20's to mid 30'ish. The teens to early 20's, they don't know, unless its free. Yea they know free stuff. Take folks like me , (I ain't stupid) we are just about fed up, sounds like the "Pirates" are too. So get on with it !
 Wanna see what these patriots come up with next !
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks good so far. As for "tendencies" (that right ?) what do you think of the polarity of the population of the good ol' USA right now? Most folks just wanna get on with their lives. Don't mess with them or the living they 're trying to make and they'll hope it will go away. Mostly late 20's to mid 30'ish. The teens to early 20's, they don't know, unless its free. Yea they know free stuff. Take folks like me , (I ain't stupid) we are just about fed up, sounds like the "Pirates" are too. So get on with it !
 Wanna see what these patriots come up with next !
View Quote

Well, where I'm at right now I've got a decent idea on how it starts... details on how it gets to the point in the teaser are a bit hazy... who's perspective I'll be writing from isn't decided, much less how *he/she* becomes involved with the Pirates... but I do know how the first book ends
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I like it!   I think you can really go places with it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]
You know, honestly not to push my own direction too far, but it would make a GREAT "Mack Bolan/ Stony Man" series.

Straight action adventure with a political slant with some powerful messages slid in.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You know, honestly not to push my own direction too far, but it would make a GREAT "Mack Bolan/ Stony Man" series.

Straight action adventure with a political slant with some powerful messages slid in.  
View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Well?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

Wells are holes in the ground

I've decided I like the concept enough to start putting a bit more effort into building up the world and some of the settings, but I'm also going to college to finish my degree, so between that and working on my front-burner novel time has been fleeting.

I think you guys might like one of the concepts I came up with while talking to one of my verified snake-eater friends.   Figured the Pirates would have a few dedicated safe houses.  Given the pirates would know that sooner or later their 'anonymous' cover would fall through, said places would likely be trapped... also figure said traps would likely be non-obvious (duh), but by that I mean military equipment is obvious...  explosive filled tennis balls detonated by coded RF chirps don't look like traps, they look like tennis balls just laying around the house.  :)   Personally, the one that had me and the other guy laughing was an idea involving a high-volume, high-velocity wood-chipper... when I told him, he nodded and said, "Well, that would definitely send a message..." and thus the trap got it's name:  Message to Garcia.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#29]
tag tag tag
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
tag tag tag
View Quote

I really wish I had a ton more for you guys.  I do.  Seriously, the idea is burning a hole in the back of my head, which was why I did the short concept that is the OP.  Really wish there was 48 hours in a day just so I had time to write all the stories in my head.   As I said before, it's not 'if' I get around to fleshing this out, it's 'when'.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a pirate of the Sonoran Desert......really..
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I've sweated a lot in the Sonoran desert...
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are my kind of guy. Stay safe. HONOR FIRST.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top