Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished Cry Havoc by A American. Once again, I enjoyed it. Now where is book 2...it was just getting good at the end.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#2]
Just started listening to the audiobook versions of these (finished book 2 last night).  I keep hoping that they either change the narrator or he learns to stop for a second or two between paragraphs or when the story shifts from one character set to another.

The over-the-top gear breakdown in the first book was killing me at times but I get that many of these books are more of "how to" books written as fiction so i started to ignore it after a while. The use of the word "shotty" had me rolling my eyes each time I heard it.

My largest gripe with the books at this point is with the military characters. "Sarge" is like R Lee Ermey and the other three come off as the 3 Stooges most of the time. In Book 2 they talk about trying to keep a low profile but literally drive their vehicles down the road and pull into a neighborhood like its a Sunday drive around town. That whole side of the story leaves me shaking my head more than Morgan smoking an entire family at the drop of a hat.

When I decided to start the series I saw that it is up to Book 10 at this point and wondered if it would be the same as 299 Days. That series lost me around Book 8 and it seems like many books are just strung out and lose their luster after a while.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Going forward the gear breakdown is nothing compared to 99% of the genre...

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:22:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
Just started listening to the audiobook versions of these (finished book 2 last night).  I keep hoping that they either change the narrator or he learns to stop for a second or two between paragraphs or when the story shifts from one character set to another.

The over-the-top gear breakdown in the first book was killing me at times but I get that many of these books are more of "how to" books written as fiction so i started to ignore it after a while. The use of the word "shotty" had me rolling my eyes each time I heard it.

My largest gripe with the books at this point is with the military characters. "Sarge" is like R Lee Ermey and the other three come off as the 3 Stooges most of the time. In Book 2 they talk about trying to keep a low profile but literally drive their vehicles down the road and pull into a neighborhood like its a Sunday drive around town. That whole side of the story leaves me shaking my head more than Morgan smoking an entire family at the drop of a hat.

When I decided to start the series I saw that it is up to Book 10 at this point and wondered if it would be the same as 299 Days. That series lost me around Book 8 and it seems like many books are just strung out and lose their luster after a while.
View Quote

@NCPatrolAR

This is just like that, strung out with not many story lines or plot twists.  I stopped somewhere around book 5 or 6 with this series.  It was the book where literally nothing happened the whole book to further the plot line except the last few pages were there was a big explosion that hurt people.  It almost seems like the author has no more good ideas and is trying to pinch pennies out of us all.

There is also one book where Morgan kills two men for shooting one of his dogs.  The dog was running wild in the woods and the men were hungry.  They didnt know it was someones pet as it was running around the woods unleashed and they were hungry.  Morgan kills them both in cold blood for killing his dog even though he knew they were starving and didnt know it was a pet.  I mean what kind of piece of shit person/character kills two human being over a dog that they didnt even know was someones pet.  I dont if its a comment on the author or him just trying to shock people.

I swear each book is basically driving around doing stupid shit, non stop joking with Sarge, Morgan killing people for no reason, Morgan solving every problem on his own and then one big cliff hanger at the end to prep for the next book.

I would just save your money and quit the series early.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dace:

@NCPatrolAR

This is just like that, strung out with not many story lines or plot twists.  I stopped somewhere around book 5 or 6 with this series.  It was the book where literally nothing happened the whole book to further the plot line except the last few pages were there was a big explosion that hurt people.  It almost seems like the author has no more good ideas and is trying to pinch pennies out of us all.

There is also one book where Morgan kills two men for shooting one of his dogs.  The dog was running wild in the woods and the men were hungry.  They didnt know it was someones pet as it was running around the woods unleashed and they were hungry.  Morgan kills them both in cold blood for killing his dog even though he knew they were starving and didnt know it was a pet.  I mean what kind of piece of shit person/character kills two human being over a dog that they didnt even know was someones pet.  I dont if its a comment on the author or him just trying to shock people.

I swear each book is basically driving around doing stupid shit, non stop joking with Sarge, Morgan killing people for no reason, Morgan solving every problem on his own and then one big cliff hanger at the end to prep for the next book.

View Quote

Thanks

Since the series is 10 books deep, I often wonder if problems I see with the characters/books/presentation change as the books progress. Example; in Book 2 Morgan is smoking deer in his yard left and right and then seems totally oblivious to why everyone seems to be getting upset with him.  Seems like he would think "hey, theres problems here maybe I could donate one or two of these deer to the community and people would get off my back some". Or maybe get out and lead some of these hunting parties he said that should be happening.  Instead we get the tiresome, I'm prepped and no one else is and its not my fault, speeches.

To me, it seems like most of these stories (in a general sense) are good for about 3 books and then the decline starts.  Think I made it 5 books into 299 Days before things started slipping, but noticed that 3 books covered the "A Great State" story very well and seemed about perfect (though the fights were anti-climatic)
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks

Since the series is 10 books deep, I often wonder if problems I see with the characters/books/presentation change as the books progress. Example; in Book 2 Morgan is smoking deer in his yard left and right and then seems totally oblivious to why everyone seems to be getting upset with him.  Seems like he would think "hey, theres problems here maybe I could donate one or two of these deer to the community and people would get off my back some". Or maybe get out and lead some of these hunting parties he said that should be happening.  Instead we get the tiresome, I'm prepped and no one else is and its not my fault, speeches.

To me, it seems like most of these stories (in a general sense) are good for about 3 books and then the decline starts.  Think I made it 5 books into 299 Days before things started slipping, but noticed that 3 books covered the "A Great State" story very well and seemed about perfect (though the fights were anti-climatic)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@NCPatrolAR

Thanks

I dont diagree with you.  These long 10 books series by amateur authors rarely turn out well.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on threads over the years...I'd wager over 1/2 of ARF would kill someone for eating their dog.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Real] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Evidently Chris Weatherman's man cave which was thankfully an outer building burnt to the ground recently,  all his computers (writing) and preps are gone.  

There is a go fund me if anyone wants to help them recover.  Not sure I can post a link but if you google Chris Weatherman Go Fund me you'll see one associated with his wife, Mel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:05:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#10]
Originally Posted By juan223:
Evidently Chris Weatherman's man cave which was thankfully an outer building burnt to the ground recently,  all his computers (writing) and preps are gone.  

There is a go fund me if anyone wants to help them recover.  Not sure I can post a link but if you google Chris Weatherman Go Fund me you'll see one associated with his wife, Mel.
View Quote

Fires can be devastating if things arent saved or backed up.  That really sucks and I feel for any family going through this.  Not trying to be edgy but who is this guy with the Go Fund Me?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#11]

Fires can be devastating if things arent saved or backed up.  That really sucks and I feel for any family going through this.  Not trying to be edgy but who is this guy with the Go Fund Me?
View Quote

Not sure,  I first heard the news and the GFM link from Franklin Horton, another great author in the genre.  I have to assume it's legit but ya never know,  Mel is Chris's wife.

ETA evidently he's the tech guy for the DD12 authors group.  

https://dd12postapoc.com/dd12-commconnect-old/
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By juan223:

View Quote

Kind of ironic
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top