Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 7/15/2011 6:54:56 PM EST
Frugals is the other site I go to to check out there fiction forum. Went on tonight and it is no longer there. They removed it on purpose.
stevem1a
American
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/15/2011 7:19:13 PM EST
I gave up on Frugal Squirrel. After the Purge of the Catholics, those forums went downhill.

Steve
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
landcruiser
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/15/2011 8:50:47 PM EST
The kind of censorship that was going on there in the last few weeks was rediculous. Half my posts were deleted because they were against some rule that was never published to the tree, and $%^ forbid that you actually ask them why anything ever happens or try to voice a different opinion. My current impression is that the board owner has turned into a grumpy old guy and has more interest in censorship that the free exchange of ideas...I asked to have my account removed a few hours ago.

Lc
Hunterdoggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/16/2011 10:17:33 AM EST
I never used it much except for the fiction forum. Everytime I did all I saw was groupthink and lockstep. If you had adiffering opinion then one or tow of their "leader's" would jump and the bandwagon was full by the end of the thread.

Sad to see some of those writers who had good stories going. Hopefully one or two will matriculate to here and start posting.
Castle-Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/16/2011 7:51:22 PM EST
Yes, sad to see the forum go away. Still waiting to see where some of the really good authors land. Kathy in FL has her own blogspot. Here is the link:

http://carryondamaris.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-one.html

This is her latest story, but she has links to the rest of her works, plus some from other authors. I know her stories are from a woman's POV, but they really are some fine stories. And pretty realistic, too...IMO.
Glocktavius
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/17/2011 3:00:44 AM EST
It is sad to hear this. I haven't been on in a while, but the fiction section was the last redeeming quaility of the site after The Purge.

When I got interested in preparedness, FS was one of my first finds when I was looking for information.
ApacheScout
Always with the negative waves
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/17/2011 5:18:37 PM EST
There was one guy that cranked out a new story every couple of days it seems. A lot of the other authors left a while ago.
A one man wolfpack
TXGunnersM8
The Jerk
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/17/2011 5:41:20 PM EST
I found arfcom when I was at frugal's regularly. I've been back maybe two times since the Catholic thing. The owner did give me a great deal on a set of PVS-5s about 7 years ago.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." -John Wayne
markl32
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/17/2011 9:40:34 PM EST

There is a blast from the past. I have not been there in years,.
golfroot
I'm wookin at you!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 12:02:48 AM EST
I went there to check on Einar and found Writing Squirrels gone. Sad.
F*#k You Lauren! I can't wait til the Judge sees this vid, my "move out vid", and the pics of the destruction that your "contractor" left behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8AVS5a5ls
Castle-Man
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:18:59 AM EST
Here is a link from Kathy in FL's blog/story to the Einar series:

http://mountainrefuge-einarsaga.blogspot.com/

you can download the first two...and keep up with the current story.

Castle
jpr9954
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 5:56:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By stevem1a:
I gave up on Frugal Squirrel. After the Purge of the Catholics, those forums went downhill.

Steve

Jeez, I didn't know about that. Somehow they missed me.

When I wasn't able to log on to the Fiction Stories on Friday afternoon, I thought it was me. Glad to know it was just them..

I know AlanGator is continuing his At The Podium story at AmericanPreppersForum or something like that. The one guy I hope come here was doing a story called Second Chance which I had gotten hooked on.
stevem1a
American
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 6:56:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By jpr9954:
Originally Posted By stevem1a:

Steve

Jeez, I didn't know about that. Somehow they missed me.

When I wasn't able to log on to the Fiction Stories on Friday afternoon, I thought it was me. Glad to know it was just them..

I know AlanGator is continuing his At The Podium story at AmericanPreppersForum or something like that. The one guy I hope come here was doing a story called Second Chance which I had gotten hooked on.

If I remember correctly, the Chief Squirrel posted in a thread that he didn't not consider Catholics to be "real" Christians. He added later that the behavior of the Roman Catholic Church was more like that of a cult. Many members took offense, and then Catholics starting posting their farewells. When people asked where so-and-so was, they got a warning, and then they were banned. Later, even bringing up the subject could lead to banning. Some of the quality there went away and never returned.

I'm not a Catholic, but I was not happy about what happened. I stopped posting there, but continued to read. After a while, I didn't see nearly as many good things to read as there used to be, so I stopped even reading there.

Perhaps the word "purge" in my earlier post was not correct, I'm not sure anyone was kicked off the forum simply for being Catholic. I am sure that protesting about his original post could get you banned, and many people "banned themselves" over the situation. I am sure quality went way down after that.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality, there is.
golfroot
I'm wookin at you!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 7:35:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/18/2011 8:18:14 PM EST by golfroot]
Originally Posted By jpr9954:
The one guy I hope come here was doing a story called Second Chance which I had gotten hooked on.

I was following Lucky, too. The authors a member here. He was posting his stories here until someone made a comment about jacking his content and selling it to a publisher, ala "Lights Out".

I found Einar. I'll see if I can find Lucky.

ETA: Lucky and Second Chance can be found at link below. Left it cold on purpose.

http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Survival-Shorts
F*#k You Lauren! I can't wait til the Judge sees this vid, my "move out vid", and the pics of the destruction that your "contractor" left behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8AVS5a5ls
scrachline1
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2011 8:41:02 PM EST
most of those writers are at time bomb 2000
ChickenDaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2011 6:53:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hunterdoggie:
I never used it much except for the fiction forum. Everytime I did all I saw was groupthink and lockstep. If you had adiffering opinion then one or tow of their "leader's" would jump and the bandwagon was full by the end of the thread.

Sad to see some of those writers who had good stories going. Hopefully one or two will matriculate to here and start posting.

Sounds like SIG forum!

My college professor stated that "there are no absolutes"
I raised my hand, and when called upon, asked: "Isn't your statement an absolute"?

warlord
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2011 8:01:55 AM EST
I got kicked off the forum because I didn't post enough. Also Tom Sherry the author of Deep Winter, Shatter etc, had all kinds of problems with Frugal Squirrel. I haven't been there in like >10 years.

No big loss.
NorthernTouch
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/20/2011 3:03:48 PM EST
I thought I was special. I found every time I answered a question there all I got was lip from the same jerk offs that seemed to like to argue about things they often knew nothing about. I had a deskjockey bicker with me about auto care (I'm red seal certified automotive technician). The same group of chimps got mad whenever you answered a question with anything other than "X christian is right and those heathens are wrong". I have nothing against any sort of religion BTW only against the self righteous.
vitalis
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/25/2011 1:15:35 PM EST
that place was the suck. It was great over a decade ago when the original owner had it. But then the current owner bought it and it turned into a pile of fail.

Hammering on users, driving people out... I stopped going when my friends left. And why would I need to go back? I have Arfcom

Tipsovr
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/1/2011 6:26:44 PM EST
The Patriot Fiction section was the only reason I went to that sight. I seems to be filled with "Christian" anarchists now....
Sic Semper Tyrannis

caduckgunner
All-Pro Thumb Wrestler
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2011 4:43:11 AM EST
Well I guess I don't need to visit there anymore.
"YOU CAN OWN A HERD OF PURPLE MASTURBATING GERBILS IF YOU WANT"

Bwiese
kdalton
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:59:48 AM EST
I used to go over there for Fiction (found LIGHTS OUT there) and the recipes. I just asked where the fiction forum was and got no reply. No wonder.

Time to pull everything I can use off of there and say farewell.
Cmdr_Zero
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2011 8:47:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
The Patriot Fiction section was the only reason I went to that sight. I seems to be filled with "Christian" anarchists now....

Thats pretty much the reason they closed it. The Zealot-In-Command first started 'rationing' it, making you be a member for a certain amount of time before giving access to it, because he felt that people were only stopping by for the fiction. If you think about it, thats pretty telling...the only reason people were coming by was for the fiction...whats that say about the rest of the board?

It won't be long before the religious infighting Balkanizes the remaining membership and the place becomes a footnote in the history of survivalist discussion boards.
kdalton
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2011 9:04:18 AM EST
I see the Zombie Squad forum is down as well today. Any story there?

There was one story I really liked called The Carpenter Papers on FS. Good thing I copied and saved it off in a word doc.
djsmiles
Nuclear Night Crew Ninja
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2011 11:11:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By scrachline1:
most of those writers are at time bomb 2000

i completely forgot i had an account there.
Proud Member of Team Ranstad

Originally Texted By Poke4570:
I love you and I'm drunk

Originally Texted By ANSL:
Trust me, as your duly appointed conscience, drinking til 4am is condoned.
WTProtector
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/18/2011 9:25:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2011 9:27:16 AM EST by WTProtector]
Originally Posted By warlord:
I got kicked off the forum because I didn't post enough. Also Tom Sherry the author of Deep Winter, Shatter etc, had all kinds of problems with Frugal Squirrel. I haven't been there in like >10 years.

No big loss.

Tom posts at The Tree of Liberty every so often anymore.
Jerry D Young has his own website..just Google his name..it'll come up.

Tired Old Man said he was going to be posting at TB2K..but I haven't checked recently.

I tell you what...Frugal goes out of his way to piss people off..the Catholic thing a few years ago..I think there was something else the year after that caused a buncha poster to leave...now the story section.
I understand there is a cost involved with having a bunch of "readers" using bandwidth and contributing...but this seems a bit extreme..even for John.

Not my website and forum though.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2