Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
Hi Guys...

I'm looking for some decent recommendations/suggestions.  A ling time buddy and I would like to head west and try some reasonably priced big game hunting.  The typical guided elk hunt for bulls, and its usual price tag, is simply out of reach at the moment.  However, we are looking for the experience, not the rack.  For us, the planning, travel, and experience far outweigh the size of any antlers.  It looks like cull hunts, usually late season, for cow elk may be doable.  

I've searched and continue to search.  I'm not finding great info.  If anyone has a suggestion as to a location, an outfitter, or a similar hunt, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Fro
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my self-guided hunts, take note of the location, it will serve you well. AMA

Bow hunt for elk in WYOMING
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.rmef.org/TheHunt/Before/PlanforGrand.aspx

Go read that article.  I have wanted to go on an elk hunt since I asked my dad "what is that?"  when I saw an elk mount when I was little.  Like you I always thought it was out of reach living where I do.  This year I'm heading out to CO for my first elk hunt.  It's going to be a completely DIY hunt.  It's gonna be expensive, but I've spent more money on stupid things before.  I know the odds are way against me, but I don't care, it will be an adventure I'll remember for years to come.  I've come to realize that money is less important than experiences you have.  I'm going with some great friends that are down for the challenge, and my uncle who I've done more outdoors stuff with than anyone I know.  I figure that for the price of one guided hunt I can go several years DIY.  It has been a blast just planning so far, and I can't wait to get out on the mountain.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a post I recently wrote in another thread.  I strongly recommend you read the linked thread below in its entirety to get an idea of my experience and how I went about my hunt.

Here is a thread I did last year that should help answer a lot of your questions:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_2/686810_Help-With-DIY-Non-resident-Idaho-Elk-and-Mule-Deer.html

Basically I decided to do a spur of the moment elk hunt in Idaho (actually 2 hunts).  I studied the ID Fish and Game maps as well as Google Earth, picked a spot and drove there.  On my way through Bosie I stopped at Cabela's to get a topo map of the unit I was going to be in.

The archery hunt I chose allowed me to harvest either a bull or a cow and was open for a month, including during the rut.

I like Idaho because you can get both elk and deer tags OTC.  I think CO might have OTC deer tags but if I'm not mistaken, they are whitetail only and I wanted to hunt mule deer.

In ID, you can buy either a general deer tag which allows you to hunt either mule deer or whitetail, or a whitetail only tag.  Not all units in the state have mule deer and some of the units are draw only.

Guided hunts don't interest me but that's a personal preference thing.  

The unit I was in was very mountainous with heavy timber, streams, and a lot of mountain lakes with trout.  One nice thing about ID is that you get a 3 day fishing license with your hunting license and there are plenty of rivers, streams, and lakes to try out along the way to your hunting spot.

I also chose to hunt in a wilderness area so it wouldn't be crowded out with vehicle hunters.  There were plenty of trails to use.  Most of the other people hunting there were doing so with horses.  

If you don't have friends going with you or you don't want to carry out an elk on foot, consider asking around in the nearest town for people with horses that you can hire out if you are successful.  If you are doing a public land hunt, there will probably already be plenty of people with horses in your area that might be willing to help you for a few bucks.

If you don't have access to horses and you hunt in a wilderness area like I did where you can't use a vehicle to get closer to your kill, I would strongly advise not trying to kill an elk more than 5 miles from the nearest trailhead/vehicle access.  Even that will be hell getting out by yourself on foot if you kill a big bull.

My hunt wasn't easy and I didn't fill my tag, but I had a great time camping out by myself for a couple of weeks.  If I had more time once I figured the elk out I think I would have tagged out.  I know of at least 3 monster bulls that came out of the area so even public land, OTC hunts have the possibility of landing a nice trophy.

I plan to go on another similar hunt as soon as I have the time and money.  Unfortunately, I don't think it will be this year.

FYI, an OTC ID elk hunt for a non-resident will run a little under $600 for the tag and license.  If you want to throw in a deer tag, that will cost you another $317 or so.  You can also buy OTC wolf tags and your deer and/or elk tags can be used to harvest a bear or mountain lion as long as you take the animals in the same unit and during the time period your tag is good for.  There were also tons of grouse where I was hunting, so that's another plus.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
We're hunting with this place Trophy Elk Outfitters Inc. in December for cow elk. It was $900 each + $466 tag. He said everyone usually gets their cow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're hunting with this place Trophy Elk Outfitters Inc. in December for cow elk. It was $900 each + $466 tag. He said everyone usually gets their cow.
View Quote
That's a pretty fair deal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's what I thought too. There's a group of 4 of us that wanted to do a reasonably priced hunt, this seemed to fit the bill. It's down in the Trinidad area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So what is included in that cow elk hunt near Trinidad?  The website wasn't overly clear. Is lodging and food included?  Or are you booking some alternative place to stay?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what is included in that cow elk hunt near Trinidad?  The website wasn't overly clear. Is lodging and food included?  Or are you booking some alternative place to stay?
View Quote
On our own for lodging and food. We're hunting private land, so kind of a trespass fee. He said we could have whatever level of guiding we wanted, from fully guided to they just pick it up after we shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top