Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2017 10:02:20 AM EDT
Sold off my last 300 WM due to wanting to reduce weight, previously was a Rem 700P.

Currently looking to the Sako A7 roughtech pro or Winchester model 70 exteme weather.

-Currently looking at it being chambered in 300 WM, though may be open to other calibers.
-Want it as accurate as possible with 1-1.5 MOA with select ammunition being the goal, previous 700P would place sub-MOA groups.
-Rifle would be used for deer next season, but will be used for elk later.

Looking for anyone that can provide feedback or reviews on those rifles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to go light and you handload go with the wsm. My light rifle is a Kimber in 300wsm. I have been able to keep it well under 1" with handloads and a couple factory loads.

Sorry I don't have input on the two rifles...
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you know anyone who has either of these rifles I would recommend shooting one.  Shoot a light weight 300WM and see if you can handle the recoil.  I bought a Tikka in 7mmRM for my light weight Elk rifle.  The recoil from a light rifle is a bit stiff so be prepared for it.  I'm not one who cares for muzzle breaks so I just grin and bear the recoil at the range rather than deal with the concussion and noise of a muzzle break.  

With all that said I would say the Sako is going to be the more refined rifle and it's going to have a butter smooth action.  My brother has a TRG and it's certainly one of the nicest actions I have ever worked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Both excellent rifles. You wouldn't be disappointed in either.
Good choice on 300 win mag. Allows you to use much heavier bullets than the 300WSM because the WSM is limited on overall length by magazine length.

But I'd have to lean towards the model 70.
-Much nicer bell and Carlson stock.
-26" barrel which is better than 24 for maximizing velocity in the 300WM
-the Winchester has 1-10" twist rate, as opposed to 1-11" on the sako. So the Winchester will be better for shooting the heavy 200-220gr bullets that perform best at long range.
-controlled round feed is a nice feature. Some may say it's unnecessary but I like it.
-steel and aluminum trigger guard and floor plate assembly as opposed to plastic on the sako
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top