Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 12:05:26 PM EDT
I figured some of you on here would like to hear about a little east coast elk hunt that I did in Kentucky earlier in December.

For those unaware, KY re-introduced elk about 10-15 years ago.  Since then, the program has been successful with the population growing to over 10,000 estimated elk in KY, with some moving over to areas of TN, NC, VA and WVA.  They've even used some of the elk to help with other states re-introductions.

To be able to hunt KY elk, they have a lottery every year that an out-of-state hunter can enter.  It's $10 per entry, up to four entries (Bull Archery, Cow Archery, Bull Rifle, Cow Rifle).  For $20 or $40, it's a pretty good deal relative to other states except there are no preference points or other system.. just a pure lottery.  I'm not an archery guy, so I just drop $20 every spring and hope I get lucky.  Last year, I got a nice email surprise in the form of a cow elk draw for the first firearm season.  The license and tag itself worked out to be about $550 total.

After the draw, there's an opportunity to put in for a land voucher program, where there is limited access to large tracts of property.  I hit the timing right and got into a voucher property that was reclaimed mine property.  This was nice as it wasn't all forests, but had open land to glass and spot/stalk.

Fast forward to a couple weeks back and my hunting partner (Matt) and myself were headed to Kentucky.  We picked up the gate key from the land management company on the day we arrived.  With daylight remaining we took a ride out to the property which was close to town.  Once at the property we found a good road system throughout so it was fairly easy to navigate.  There were a couple large basins with some elevation with ponds at the bottom, each about 1000-1200 yards square.  A large ridge ran through the middle of the property with some flat spots at the top and a few fingers overlooking some lower plains.  We picked a few sites we wanted to setup at for glassing, and headed back for dinner and prepping for the next day.

Before daylight the next morning, we were out of the truck and hiking up hill to our first stop.  We glassed the first large basin, hoping to catch something heading up from the water hole and to the ridgeline for some feeding and resting.  After a couple hours, we only spotted a couple white tail does working the ridge.  From there we trekked to an overwatch spot on the next basin.  Not seeing anything moving after a while, we moved to a large plain on top of the ridge between the basins, as we had seen some tracks/scat the day before.  While glassing, Matt saw some large animals moving across the ridge about 1200 yards or so away.  They had disappeared by the time I got the spotting scope out, but we decided it was worth hiking over to try to find where the were headed as we could stay concealed across the ridge, but maintain the high ground in the event we could find their trail.

Glassing a basin

Rub marks from a bull elk

When we got to the approximate area of the sighting, I stopped to glass back as at this vantage point we could see some of both very large basins and if anything was moving to cross over the main ridge.  Matt moved to the end of the ridge/hill to try to pick up some tracks from where he thought he saw something.  After about 5-10 minutes, I hear a whistle and see Matt crouched down waving for me to come to him.  I grab the rifle and leave my pack to move to him.  He whispered that he was glassing on one side of the hill, and that when he turned there were a few elk standing on the other side feeding... which was only about 80-90 yards from where I had sat down with the spotting scope.

Fortunately they hadn't heard, smelled or otherwise detected us, as once we moved around the hill there were four animals only 45-50 yards away.  One big bodied elk had its head down, with two other cows down in the woods and a calf laying down not far from the big body elk.  We stalked in another 10-15 yards to try to get a positive ID on the big body elk.. not wanting to shoot a big spike.  After what felt like a minute of us standing and watching these elk, the big bodied elk pulled its head up and looked in our direction.  At that instant through the scope, I was able to verify it was a cow and instinctively went for the heart and pulled the trigger.  I saw the bullet impact nicely at 4x, then cycled the action in case I needed to follow up.  We both saw her start to collapse on her first step, but she ended up going about 60 yards down hill to her final resting spot.

Now it was celebration time and realizing that the real work was about to begin!

How we found her

We waited a few minutes, and collected our gear where we had dropped it around the hill.  From here, we decided to start into the woods to find my elk.  Fortunately they're large animals and all of the leaves were off of the trees.  After just a couple minutes we found where she had collapsed between some small trees.  We took a few pictures and then started talking a game plan.  Her location was too far into the woods to get a truck into (ATVs/RZRs/etc were prohibited on this piece of property).  Also, we had some doubts on being able to drag her out as it would be uphill and she was a good sized cow.  We were able to get her flipped around and out of the small trees, but that was quite the task for the two of us.

Success!

At this point, Matt went down the mile and a half to get the truck, while I waited behind and called in to telecheck the elk, take care of paperwork, etc.  Eventually Matt got back with the truck and we were able to get about 100-120 yards away from the elk.  Just for fun, we tried to move her just a little bit and it wasn't happening.  Now it was time to pull out some knives and do some cutting.

For the next several hours, we cut, poked and prodded our way through quartering up the elk.  It is certainly a two person job to make it go somewhat smoothly.  Having a person to hold a leg out of the way or help keep the body from shifting around is very helpful.  We found that my bullet had shredded the heart, and punched a nice hole on it's way out of the rib cage.  In all, we ended up with four quarters, some nice tenderloins and a good bit of other meat.  From bullet impact to the last meat bag being hauled up hill, it was a four hour period.  When you read about elk shape, it's not necessarily for chasing them, but dragging one out of the woods!

Exit hole under the skin

Dragging out the last quarter and tenderloins

All quartered up

While we were lucky on the first real day of hunting, it was a great trip and I learned a lot.  I came prepared with a custom Accurate Ordnance .300 Win Mag, Nightforce riflescope, rangefinder, Kestrel and all of the goodies in anticipating of a several hundred yard shot or maybe more depending on what we found.  When it was all said and done, my shot was 35 yards.  The Hornady 212gr ELD-X was a one-hitter quitter, dumping over 3000 ft-lbs of energy into the elk.  Both of us were layered up, mainly in First Lite gear.  If you haven't checked out their stuff, the Fusion camo is outstanding and the clothes are very comfortable and warm.

.300 Win Mag Elk Killers

Photo of the rifle

If you get a chance to go to Kentucky and chase elk, don't pass up the opportunity.  They live in the mountains of SE Kentucky, so you're certainly going to chase them.  If you draw a bull tag, it might be worth thinking about a guide.  If you've got a week for the full season, there's public land you can chase the elk on or get into one of the voucher properties if possible.  I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide what worked/didn't if anyone else gets lucky and draws a KY tag.

One last thought, fresh elk tenderloin is one of the finest steaks you'll eat!

Matt with one of the tenderloins
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Superb write up on what looks like a hell of an experience!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing your experience and the pics were great too. I never even thought about Kentucky for Elk, sounds like the numbers are coming back strong there. I wish you would have had a longer shot with those 212's, I would have loved to see what kind of performance you would have gotten out of a 250-450m shot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed on the longer shot.  I came prepared for a long shot, but sometimes you've got to play the hand that's dealt.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Where exactly in Kentucky were you hunting?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Superb write up on what looks like a hell of an experience!
View Quote

Excellent.

Please share with KDFWR
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome write up of the hunt, congrats. This is the year I want to go elk hunting for the first time so great to see there are eastern options too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I put in for the rifle bull and cow hunt last year for the first time. Hoping to eventually draw. I've seen some pretty good bulls come out of KY.

Congrats on your cow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice! I remember reading about the first release in KY. Sounds like a lot of people are now benefiting from the reintroduction.

Elk burgers for the MFW!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice! I remember reading about the first release in KY. Sounds like a lot of people are now benefiting from the reintroduction.

Elk burgers for the MFW!
View Quote

The KY elk have done very well.

Likewise, NC looks like it may have a season (with a very limited number of tags) in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Enjoyed the write up, well done!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep!  That's an elk.  

They'll pick the damnest spot to die in.  Just so you have to work harder for killin' them.

Congrats!  She'll be fine eating.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats OP! Here in the next couple years I hope to be in Colorado or Wyoming chasing my own Elk!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy thread resurrection: I just bought my entries for the lottery for this year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top