Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2016 3:52:23 AM EDT
I am wanting to go on a guided antelope hunt in WY hopefully this next year. I have a couple preference points so drawing a tag shouldn't be a problem. My brother and a friend only have one point though so hopefully they can draw a tag too.

What I am having a hard time with is how to find a good guide. If anyone has used a guide they would recommend I would appreciate hearing who it is and anything else you can tell me about them.

Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The Chamber of Commerce in the various areas can probably give you a list.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I have a book of guides listed but I know nothing about them other than their ads. I am hoping to get some help from people who have actually used a guide and can comment on that particular guide. Just trying to limit my chances of getting a bad guide.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Post this on the WY hometown forum...
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post this on the WY hometown forum...
View Quote

That is a good idea. Will do. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Thank you!

Have you used any guides in WY?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Have done DIY antelope hunts there and helped some friends do the same. All sucessful. Not too difficult if you are willing to do a little homework first.
Guided or DIY, you'll have fun.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i would say if you get a good map or two, a guide isnt really needed.  

good luck on your search though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i would say if you get a good map or two, a guide isnt really needed.  

good luck on your search though.
View Quote

I'd say skip the guide too. I've done several DIY antelope trips successfully in Wyoming. If you call the DNR office in the general area you hunt they will provide you with a list of landowners who allow hunting on their properties. There's also plenty of BLM and walk-in land.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!!  Reason I am wanting to do a guided trip is this will be my first antelope hunt ever; so figured it would be a good idea to get a guide to 'show us the ropes' on hunting them.

If it was a deer hunt I wouldn't even think about a guide. Maybe I am over thinking it and should do a DIY hunt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!!  Reason I am wanting to do a guided trip is this will be my first antelope hunt ever; so figured it would be a good idea to get a guide to 'show us the ropes' on hunting them.

If it was a deer hunt I wouldn't even think about a guide. Maybe I am over thinking it and should do a DIY hunt.
View Quote

In my (very limited) experience, antelope aren't difficult to hunt at all.  Pick a unit with a health population and decent access and it's as close to a gimme as there is in hunting.

We've gone to Wyoming twice and filled 5 of 6 tags.  The unfilled one was an extra doe tag, and because of weather we elected to head home instead of stick it out to fill the last tag.

WY fish and game website has everything you need to pick a unit.  Call the area biologist to make sure you haven't missed something.  Buy the onX map for Wyoming.  Much of the public is checkerboarded with private and (nearly) all of it is unmarked and you're responsible to know where you are to stay legal.  Without a gps and the onX That's difficult at best.  With it there's no problem.

Last year it took less than 24 hrs to fill 2 tags, so we spent more time driving to and from than hunting.

It's one of my favorite hunts and we plan to go every other year.

My vote--save the $$ and DIY.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for DIY.  We've killed lots of pronghorn in Wyo, always DIY on public land.

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

A DIY antelope hunt is way easier than a deer hunt. You're over thinking it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't use a guide for lopes in WY. Save up 3 or so points and get a good unit.

Guides will pressure you to shoot one so they can guide someone else. Get a good unit and take your time and shoot a good one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top