Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 5:16:59 PM EDT
A few years back I purchased a Remington 700 in 30'06 from my local Walmart. It was a rifle scope combo package, came with a Remington 3-9 scope. I have harvested a few Elk, and Deer with this set up. It's been fine, but I am starting to notice how terrible the glass quality is. My plan so far is to overhaul the rifle. I am going to add a magpul stock and mag setup (anyone liking their hunter set up?), I also want to add some glass. I am not a huge hunter, and am somewhat casual in my practice, etc. I think my budget is anywhere from $200-$450, but can be talked up or down. I need some Recomendations on power, and model, etc.... Things that are important to me are warranty (vortex seems like a good brand), quality glass, and something that can take normal (non abusive) beating of being in the woods for a few days. I also like weight savings. I am a rookie at this stuff, any Recomendations? Insights? Help?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of Nikon glass for inexpensive hunting rifles, your magpul stock plan is not going to work because they only make it for short action Remington 700 and 30-06 is long action.  My rem700 30-06 (top):

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a fan of Nikon glass for inexpensive hunting rifles, your magpul stock plan is not going to work because they only make it for short action Remington 700 and 30-06 is long action.  My rem700 30-06 (top):

<a href="http://s197.photobucket.com/user/hadriel_photos/media/Guns/106017CE-9486-4D38-B7D3-587DBB821923.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/hadriel_photos/Guns/106017CE-9486-4D38-B7D3-587DBB821923.jpg</a>
View Quote

Magpul-Remington Long Action Stock
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to beat a good quality 3X9 for nearly all hunting applications.I'm a fan of the Bushnell Elite,Burris Signature and Nikon Monarch.The older Bushnell Scopechief series is still a damned good scope.
Good luck on your hunt!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
3-9x is ok, but for the '06 and elk, I'd be more interested in field of view, so the 2-7x gets my nod.   Leupold works great, as does the inexpensive leupold made Redfield.  Mine has withstood the abuse of a 375H&H.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got Pentax, Bushnell Elite, Leupold Rifleman and Vortex Viper scopes on various hunting rifles and all have been fine. I would take a close look at the Zeiss Conquest in your price range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
in that price range a 3 x 9 leopuold vx -2 is a pretty nice set up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#7]
VX3 3.5-10X.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't say what part of the world you're in, which would help a bit.  Like others have said it's hard to go wrong with a leupold.  I'd go with a variable, either 3-9 or 2-7 depending on if you're hunting the brushy or open areas.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
3x9 is plenty of magnification range.  About perfect for 06 applications.  
I would look at Leupold, Vortex and Burris.  All have lifetime no hassle warranties, I know leupold and burris's warranties are completely transferable not sure on vortex.  Nikon scopes are good, I own a prostaff and a monarch but their warranty is worded so that I don't trust it like the others mentioned.  I have a burris fullfield 2 that optically is clearly better than the prostaff and is very close to the monarch 3 I own.  I also find them to be better optically than the cheaper leupold's
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
leupold 3x9 VX 1,2 or 3. I probably wouldn't put much else on my elk bolt guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You don't say what part of the world you're in, which would help a bit.  Like others have said it's hard to go wrong with a leupold.  I'd go with a variable, either 3-9 or 2-7 depending on if you're hunting the brushy or open areas.
View Quote

I am in Utah and that is primarily where i hunt
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3-9x is ok, but for the '06 and elk, I'd be more interested in field of view, so the 2-7x gets my nod.   Leupold works great, as does the inexpensive leupold made Redfield.  Mine has withstood the abuse of a 375H&H.
View Quote

Please explain the difference in field of view between a 2 - 7x scope set to 7x and a Leupold 3 - 9x scope set to 7 x.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
3-9, 2.5-10 or 4-12, or 4-16 would get my vote.  3-9 is the universal "do-all" but sometimes it's nice to have a little more magnification--the 4-12s and 4-16s are nice because you can turn down to 4x for close-in stuff.  

Nikon (Prostaff 5+, Monarch 3+), Leupold (vx2, vx3, vxR), Vortex (HS-T, HS-LR), Burris  (Fullfield E1, Veracity), Bushnell (Trophy, Trophy XL), they all make a great scope.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please explain the difference in field of view between a 2 - 7x scope set to 7x and a Leupold 3 - 9x scope set to 7 x.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more appropriate comparison would be the 2-7x on 2x compared to the 3-9x on 3x. The 2x is generally going to be wider. Whether the difference is of benefit over the extra 2x on the top end is a decision for the OP. I have both 2-7x and 3-9x scopes and haven't found a noticeable difference in hunting situations. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Put the $280 bucks for that fugly stock towards a decent scope.  

Leupold's VX3 3.5 x 10 x 40 is a sweet scope.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah the more I review the stock, the less likely I am to put it on due to weight concerns... I was going to stage the build out, so unfortunately my budget is still what it is.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya it is. I got mine for $275 off the EE. Once our season is over I will put it back there to get the money for a 4.5-14X40.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll probably find yourself hunting in the woods more than on some barren field with elk.  You're not going to be in the woods with the scope at 7x let alone 9x.  If you do, you probably won't have much luck hitting anything.  In woods, you should be using the lower magnification for max field of view, so you can find your target quicker in the scope.  2x, which isn't really 2x in a leupold(actually 2.4x) gives you 10ft more field of view than the 3x(which is actually 3.2x on a leupold).  The only time you're really going to use top magnification is at the range or long distance shooting, and you're not doing that with an '06.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Nikon (Prostaff 5+, Monarch 3+), Leupold (vx2, vx3, vxR), Vortex (HS-T, HS-LR), Burris (Fullfield E1, Veracity), Bushnell (Trophy, Trophy XL)
View Quote

I have one bolt gun, it is a highly modified model 700 in 30-06. I have out shot most of those scopes above, with an inexpensive ex-miliary contact scope.

So you can see all they offer.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-C187.aspx  

I have the 10x on my 30-06. I print 3/8 groups @ 200 yards. At 600 yards an elk has no chance at all.

Rex will tell you about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fe4l_CAthI

The 6 power or variable will do you just fine, and the money you save, you can take the ole lady out for a night on the town.
A win-win
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have several different scopes in various power ranges.  For an all around hunting rifle I really like the Vortex Viper HS  2.5-10x40.  It offers great low end when stalking in thick timber and the 10X gives you enough magnification for longer shots.  I have mine mounted on my CZ 550 6.5x55.  It's about perfect for me out here in NV which is a lot like northern UT.  I used to live in UT and hunted the Unitah mountains for Elk quite often.  The hunting set up I had back then was to much.  I was using a 6-18x50 Swarovski on my 300WM.  Great for long range shooting but honestly I felt like I was over scoped and in the thick timber the scope was just to much.  I have since stepped down on magnification on the majority of my hunting set ups.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have several different scopes in various power ranges.  For an all around hunting rifle I really like the Vortex Viper HS  2.5-10x40.  It offers great low end when stalking in thick timber and the 10X gives you enough magnification for longer shots.  I have mine mounted on my CZ 550 6.5x55.  It's about perfect for me out here in NV which is a lot like northern UT.  I used to live in UT and hunted the Unitah mountains for Elk quite often.  The hunting set up I had back then was to much.  I was using a 6-18x50 Swarovski on my 300WM.  Great for long range shooting but honestly I felt like I was over scoped and in the thick timber the scope was just to much.  I have since stepped down on magnification on the majority of my hunting set ups.
View Quote

Have you shot elk with your 6.5X55? Reloading?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be going on my first elk hunt in a few weeks and decided to replace the 6-24 power scope I had on my 7MM with a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42... Went and shot it last weekend and am very pleased, I love the magnification range. Amazon had them for a little over 500, but optics planet had them on sale plus a 5% coupon brought it to 464.00
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have rem 700 30-06 and it has a Leupold VX1 3-9x40.

It's taken 2 elk, 3 antelope and a deer, at ranges from 25 yards to 300 yards.

It's held up great over the years, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not shot an Elk with my 6.5x55 as of yet.  I do reload for it.  If I were to use it for Elk I think I would use either the 130gr Scirocco or a 140gr Cup and Core that was designed with the 6.5x55 in mind.  I had a very accurate load worked up for the Sierra Game King but when talking with the guys at Sierra they told me it was designed with the high velocity of the 264 Win Mag in mind.  

I have shot Elk with 243Win, 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag.  The only one that needed a follow up shot was with the 300 Win Mag.  It was double lunged with a 200gr bullet but didn't want to go down.  Second shot was on the shoulder and put him down for good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my red field 3-9

It's made by leupold . Great glass
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I used 3 x 9 scopes for years and just recently picked up a Vortex 4 x 16, I have to say the 16 x sure is nice when you need it and the 4 x gets it done in the thick woods just as well as 3 x. Just purchased a new 25-06 and put another Vortex 4 x 16 on it. You probably know better then anyone posting that here in Utah we can go from can't see a thing thick woods to seeing over a mile in 50 yards or less so having a little bit more magnification is never a bad thing.

Field of view is kind of immaterial in a scope. If you can't shoulder your rifle and be looking through your scope at the target you need to practice your gun mount more. If you are using your scope to glass for animals then you need to take hunters safety again and get yourself a good binocular.

If your in Northern Utah you might check out Kent's Market in Tremonton Utah, They sell Vortex scopes and other hunting gear cheaper then anyone around. Yep the grocery store in Tremonton sells scopes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top