Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
I'm 30 and have had the opportunity to take 160-180 class Whitetail every year as my parents live in Illinois. I have always wanted to go Elk Hunting and I figure if I don't attempt to go or try plan something I may never do it.

If I'm going I'd like to harvest a decent sized trophy comparable to what I can do via Deer Hunting every year. I'm going to take a rifle. I have a Tikka in 30-06 with an older Nikon Monarch 4-12x scope that would likely be sufficient. I have a 308AR but it is really heavy. I have a 6.5 Grendel AR that is much lighter but I'm not sure I'd trust it to take down a Elk? I can always build another lightweight AR in an oldball caliber to take? Any recommendations?

In Illinois we can only shoot Shotgun or Muzzleloader so I'm not extremely versed in shooting Rifles at long distances. Most of the shots I've taken are 100 yards or less. I can start practicing at different distances. I'm guessing that would all depend on where I'm going? I know people that have said practice from a bag, practice from shooting sticks, practice running and then stopping to shoot at long distances? Other recommendations or advice?

Ideally I would get a guide. Don't really care what state as long as I have an opportunity to harvest a trophy. I don't mind spending the money (10K or cheaper all in costs with Lodging, Food, Travel, Guide, etc.) if I have to but if I can do it for cheaper I'd certainly be open to listening to options. I don't mind driving either. I can easily fly if not. Likely be looking at 2017. I'd like to not have to worry about drawing tags unless I'm going to be able to get one in 2017. I would like to go during the rut where I can really take in the scenery and hear bulls bugling and see lots of wildlife.

Clothing wise? Boot recommendations?

I'm a newb when it comes to the whole tag situation as I've always had landowner tags.

Teach me AR15.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Currently out hunting... I'll reply in-depth when I get back to civilization.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Whats the bag limit this year ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In South Dakota pheasant hunting right now.

I only drew preference points this year for Colorado, both elk and deer. Skipping it this year.

Ohio white tail, with my combination of tags, I can get i think 5, including two bucks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be NM that has early rifle hunts, during the rut. In CO the archery season falls during the rut, muzzle too.

Any of those rifles will work, plenty of elk have fallen to a 6.5G.  Most of my elk have been taken at under 100 yds, but there is always a possibility for much longer shots, particularly if you are looking for a certain size trophy.

If you just have to kill a big bull, you are gonna spend every dime of that 10k.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
30'06 would get the nod here, but I'd pass on the scope.  3-9x is about the max you need on it, and even then Id lean towards the 2-7x.  Contrary to popular belief, you wont likely be shooting half a mile to kill an elk.  Your guide will see to it.  Most people put too big of scope on their guns too.  If your '06 is a standard weight, 7lbs or so without the scope, then you're fine.  Get in shape, altitude will set you back a lot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
30'06 would get the nod here, but I'd pass on the scope.  3-9x is about the max you need on it, and even then Id lean towards the 2-7x.  Contrary to popular belief, you wont likely be shooting half a mile to kill an elk.  Your guide will see to it.  Most people put too big of scope on their guns too.  If your '06 is a standard weight, 7lbs or so without the scope, then you're fine.  Get in shape, altitude will set you back a lot.
View Quote

this is good info. shots can certainly be take to greater distances but a lot are under 200 yards.

archery hunting is a perfect example of this
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't do it man, it will ruin you as a satisfied deer hunter, once you take a bull elk those nice whitetail bucks will seem like jack rabbits by comparison. At least that is how it works for me, have a tough time getting excited about deer season, except that it gives me an opportunity to scout for elk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm 30 and have had the opportunity to take 160-180 class Whitetail every year as my parents live in Illinois. I have always wanted to go Elk Hunting and I figure if I don't attempt to go or try plan something I may never do it.
View Quote

I grew up in IL. Ironically I miss whitetail hunting sometimes, sitting in a stand and how easy it is to get tags, long archery season, ect.  Like others have said, once you get an elk it will ruin you, you'll be addicted. It's a lot different and it's a lot of work especially on a public land DIY hunt.

For a "trophy" bull you're looking at 6-10k just for the hunt alone and most likely it will be a private land hunt. There are plenty of options out there between Idaho, CO, Utah and New Mexico. If you decide on public land, get an outfitter and/or semi-guided drop camp somewhere.

If you're not worried about a trophy there are plenty of hunts in the 2-5k range that will allow you to harvest a decent bull with a guide.

If you want to go DIY public land I would say either muzzle loader or archery is the way to go. The elk are less pressured, it's the rut and you'll get more action as far as calling them in. Regular OTC rifle seasons are usually crowded (at least in CO) and it sounds like you don't have any preference points built up for the trophy or better units?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I grew up in IL. Ironically I miss whitetail hunting sometimes, sitting in a stand and how easy it is to get tags, long archery season, ect.  Like others have said, once you get an elk it will ruin you, you'll be addicted. It's a lot different and it's a lot of work especially on a public land DIY hunt.

For a "trophy" bull you're looking at 6-10k just for the hunt alone and most likely it will be a private land hunt. There are plenty of options out there between Idaho, CO, Utah and New Mexico. If you decide on public land, get an outfitter and/or semi-guided drop camp somewhere.

If you're not worried about a trophy there are plenty of hunts in the 2-5k range that will allow you to harvest a decent bull with a guide.

If you want to go DIY public land I would say either muzzle loader or archery is the way to go. The elk are less pressured, it's the rut and you'll get more action as far as calling them in. Regular OTC rifle seasons are usually crowded (at least in CO) and it sounds like you don't have any preference points built up for the trophy or better units?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you ever make it back?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Huntalk Forum and Randy Newbergs Elk Talk series are some serious information.

I don't even have a tag this year, but it took me an hour to find a huge bull with a herd of cows after following his advice last weekend.

Plenty of knowledgeable people out there, but if a guy like me, with no experience can do it, his advice is solid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top