Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2016 10:28:44 AM EDT
Last week we departed for zone 4 and the beginning of our moose hunt.We arrived at Ross lake and the next morning we get out at 4:45 am.We had opportunities but didn't score a bull.Next day was different,at 7:45 a big bull ambles up behind us while the guide is calling.He turns and we shoot.Moose drops 30 yards awayHe was about 30 feet when we shot.That was close enough for me.

After the guide field dresses and loads the bull in his truck we are off,once at the tagging station he weighs in at 898 pounds and has a 45 inch rack.Got home saturday and piled up lots of moose meat into the freezer.
I first put in for the moose lottery 27 years ago,now I finally have my moose tag filled,it feels good.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yum yum. Did you take it to Maple lane for processing?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No,Dick Cullens in Marsasdis.Brought the bull in on Tuesday and we were told we could pick up the processed meat sat afternoon.Mr Cullens went to the ER on Thursday I think  and everything was up in the air.We did get our meat on sat but not til 7.Because of the inconvenience he gave me a 100$ discount on the price,plus we waited in one of his cabins watching tv instead of sitting in the truck.He has a good rep but this med scare was a bit of a concern to say the least.Anyway,I hope he stays healthy.He is in the process of building a much bigger facility.Used to be a big operation came to the north woods,Windham I think is the name,but they pulled according to the guides.Leaves a gap that needs filling.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice animal you got.

On a different note OP, I understand moose are hunted in parties because of their size. Do both members of the party have to be ME residents?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol killed one in ME on a DIY hunt in 1999, in a hell hole. Shot it around 7 and got the last load to the truck 6 hrs later. Checked in the many parts, drove 14 hrs straight, then started cutting and wrapping.
I'm still sore!

Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks like it will be a tender moose.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#6]
great job , congratulations on a beautiful animal

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Machinegunseabee.
No restriction on how many in a party,resident or non resident.However only the permit holder and designated sub permittee are allowed to carry firearms.The larger number of people however increases the chance of a moose making you.The hunt party should do the actual calling,hunting,the rest of the crew should stay well clear.Radios are the perfect thing to use,no cell phone service.Once you bag your moose call in the crew.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol killed one in ME on a DIY hunt in 1999, in a hell hole. Shot it around 7 and got the last load to the truck 6 hrs later. Checked in the many parts, drove 14 hrs straight, then started cutting and wrapping.
I'm still sore!

Congrats OP!
View Quote

There was a group in our camp,self guided ,they killed a moose 500 yards from the road.They shot it in the afternoon,but didn't get it in their truck until the following day around 11 am.Spent all night hauling it out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Machinegunseabee.
No restriction on how many in a party,resident or non resident.However only the permit holder and designated sub permittee are allowed to carry firearms.The larger number of people however increases the chance of a moose making you.The hunt party should do the actual calling,hunting,the rest of the crew should stay well clear.Radios are the perfect thing to use,no cell phone service.Once you bag your moose call in the crew.
View Quote

Sweet! Thanks for the info, got a friend stationed up there (Turning into a resident) and will be entering the moose lottery (I know a long shot but why not). I was worried that I would have to be a resident to go do this if the number is called.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sweet! Thanks for the info, got a friend stationed up there (Turning into a resident) and will be entering the moose lottery (I know a long shot but why not). I was worried that I would have to be a resident to go do this if the number is called.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Machinegunseabee.

If your friend names you as the subpermitee you can hunt with him,as long as you purchase a non resident hunting license.You won't need a non resident moose permit since you would be hunting under his permit.You can be the shooter also,you should  make sure your friend and you agree ahead of time on the details.His chances as a resident are much higher but Maine sets aside 10 % for non resident hunters,you could get lucky.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was a group in our camp,self guided ,they killed a moose 500 yards from the road.They shot it in the afternoon,but didn't get it in their truck until the following day around 11 am.Spent all night hauling it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still sore!

Congrats OP!

Had a stout plastic tobaggon to pull moose parts out. Worth its weight in gold.
Still a pain as it was mostly thru knee deep logging slash but sled mostly stayed on top.

Still have it, 17 years and probably 60 or 70 deer later.

Best advice EVER was to pick a subpermitee with " a strong back and a weak mind"
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got the age information back from the state.This bull was 10 years old.Odd because it is very tender meat.I suppose it has to do with the land he was living off of.Low lying wetlands and swamps.Lots of goodies to keep him from getting too tough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top