Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2016 12:22:19 PM EDT
I am shooting theseout of my 3006. Getting just barely above 2800 fps.  Would this be a good load for elk?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am shooting theseout of my 3006. Getting just barely above 2800 fps.  Would this be a good load for elk?
View Quote

Only for broadside shots and if you stay away from the shoulder.  Those bullets are not know for penetration.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally wouldn't. But I know people who do.

I'd stick to a 175-180 grain bullet. And I'm personally a huge fan of nosler partitions. I shoot 200gr nosler partitions out of a 300win mag.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The 30-06 and bullet weight are fine but I would use a tougher constructed bullet like a partition,accubond,Barnes etc. Elk are big animals so make sure you can get good penetration and expansion from less than ideal angles. For the record I use a 338 win mag with 225 partition, a 30-06 with 180 partitions or a 45-70 with a 350gr fp. All work fine.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Outlaw,

Yes that is great Elk medicine.  Hunt with confidence!

Why are you loading it down to .308 velocities?

I load the same bullet:

168 Berger VLD
54.5gr Varget or 59gr H-4350
Winchester case
Large Rifle Primer

This load gets me 3000ft/s out of 22" .30-06, & 3100ft/s plus out of my 26" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
vld's are widely used on elk. head over to long range hunting.com they love them
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Elk aren't bulletproof.  Yes, they can be tough, but not bulletproof.  Put it behind the shoulder and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
vld's are widely used on elk. head over to long range hunting.com they love them
View Quote

This. LRH forum for good VLD info.

I hit a speed goat buck with a 6.5 Creedmoor using a 130 grain VLD Hunter this season. It went through with a 1" exit hole, and made blood soup out of the lungs. The lungs came out in shredded up pieces. The VLD blew the legs out from under the antelope and it seemed to slam down. I've never seen anything fall that hard. I know antelope don't compare to elk, but I'll be using this load in this gun for deer in the future. I have no reservations on using the 7mm 168 grain VLD Hunter in my Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Outlaw,

Yes that is great Elk medicine.  Hunt with confidence!

Why are you loading it down to .308 velocities?

I load the same bullet:

168 Berger VLD
54.5gr Varget or 59gr H-4350
Winchester case
Large Rifle Primer

This load gets me 3000ft/s out of 22" .30-06, & 3100ft/s plus out of my 26"
barrel.

View Quote

Good holly hell. That is a monster load. The Berger book max is 55.6. I thought I was really pushing my luck. For the record. I am .02 off the lands.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quickload software says I should blow my gun up at 56.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hit a speed goat buck with a 6.5 Creedmoor using a 130 grain VLD Hunter this season. It went through with a 1" exit hole, and made blood soup out of the lungs. The lungs came out in shredded up pieces. The VLD blew the legs out from under the antelope and it seemed to slam down. I've never seen anything fall that hard. I know antelope don't compare to elk, but I'll be using this load in this gun for deer in the future. I have no reservations on using the 7mm 168 grain VLD Hunter in my Rem Mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have 195s ready to go for my 28 nosler when it comes in. cant wait
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Outlaw,

For max loads, bullet companies are VERY Conservative.

Also, QuickLoad says this load is in the 62-66k range (not at my computer).

For reference:

.270 Win, .300 Win mag & other modern cartridges are loaded to 65,000psi.

So no, this will not "blow up your rifle".

The .30-06 has a "max" load of 58,000psi because of when it was invented...turn of last century.

I'll look to see if I can find the fired cases & take a picture.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a hot little ditty there.

My gun won't stabilize the 195s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1-8 seems to work well with the 7mm's
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one with a 1-9.5 and another in 1-9. They don't like the heavier pills. But shoot the sub 175s very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top