Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2016 1:48:06 AM EDT
Ever since I ate moose I have wanted to try to drop one, but sadly there are two known animals in this state, so I will have to go elseware to hunt.

Where would one go to hunt moose that is actually welcoming for non-residents to hunt?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ever since I ate moose I have wanted to try to drop one, but sadly there are two known animals in this state, so I will have to go elseware to hunt.

Where would one go to hunt moose that is actually welcoming for non-residents to hunt?
View Quote

Canada is your best bet, or Alaska . Big money in Alaska if you go with a guide. States in the lower 48 that have moose seasons are by lottery tag only for non residents and residents, giving most of the tags to residents so they are quite tough to win. I know Alberta has some decent moose but I believe you must hunt with an outfitter up there.

most likely you will have To pay a guide for a hunt who has tags to actually get one as a non resident somewhere. I've put in for maines lottery 11 years in a row and buy extra points every year and never won. My father in law has 26 years of preference points and has never won.  Out of 14,000 non resident applicants , they only give out about 200 tags a year. They give 1,800 out to residents with about 35,000 applying.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Canada for sure, Newfoundland is where I went 12 years ago, want to go back someday... It was pricey but about 1/3 the cost of an Alaska trip. Damn fine meat, bison is a close second in taste btw.  Be careful with selecting a guide service, not all are good but they can talk up a good game. The people I used were crappy but I got lucky and got an acceptable bull, i was the only one in camp that week that got something other than a spike bull.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Canada. You can find a good hunt for $2,500ish if you shop around. We went to Ontario, my dad got a bull, I slid down a shale bank and broke my bow so my hunt ended on day one. At least the fishing was awesome
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was in Maine, a couple locals told me that residents there choose their "trophies" by how close they can drive up to the carcass. That's my kind of freezer filling hunt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Alberta. We have tons of them, one of our drivers hits around 12 a tear, one year far far more
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in Maine, a couple locals told me that residents there choose their "trophies" by how close they can drive up to the carcass. That's my kind of freezer filling hunt.
View Quote

pretty much

unfortunately they dont give out many tags

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2671_zps1d0e5b9f.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2636_zpsb8310405.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2668_zpsjule5sqm.jpg

No moose up here. We ate them all. Guess all the outta statahs will have to go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No moose up here. We ate them all. Guess all the outta statahs will have to go elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2671_zps1d0e5b9f.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2636_zpsb8310405.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah174/bikerman9967revturbo9967/IMG_2668_zpsjule5sqm.jpg

LOL

i see them everywhere during bear season but they magically disappear during moose season
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Newfoundland. High population density.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Truth.  a cow near the side of a dirt road is a better trophy than a big bull that's 1/2 mile in from the road.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LOL

i see them everywhere during bear season but they magically disappear during moose season

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty much

LOL

That second picture looks like the sugarcamp road.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much

LOL

its all in allagash , well end of the dicky road
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I pulled a NH tag my third year of applying and ME my 10th. Nothing since and its been 15+ years. Know people that havent drawn in 20+ years of trying.
Canada is your answer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I drew an Idaho tag the first year I applied (2005) Idaho usually has left over tags in some of the remote units every year. You just have to know where to look.

I have been applying in WA for 18 years, may take 18 more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
5 years in NH here. No tags.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Ontario has good moose, but the draw system is entirely retarded.  The idiots there want you to buy your license first, then apply to draw a tag.  There are some zones with excellent (near 100%) chances of drawing a tag, but you aren't getting there unless you own a plane.

Quebec actually has good licensing.  The system is simple:  The outfitter has a fair bit of input in determining the take in their area.  Each animal requires two tags.  Essentially, if you are two guys, you can take one moose.  Four guys you can take two.    Often it varies year to year.  One year is Bulls only. Next year its Bulls and Cows.  Many outfitters will set a limit:  You can take two bulls, or one bull/one cow, but not two cows.  Flyin hunts are reasonable.  I paid about $2000 all in in 2005, closer to $2800 all in fall 2015.  They provide flight in, use of cabins, boats motors, you bring food.  Most guys over pack, and the outfitter will charge you another $300 to fly in your overage.  Be aware:  fishing is usually good, and their are moose, but its often a low percentage hunt.  You are usually hunting in what is primarily a fish camp, that happens to have moose in the are.I tagged a cow in 2005.  Nothing in 2015.

Newfoundland.  When I look many hunts are $4000-6000.  far more reasonable than Alaska.  And lots of moose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Truth.  a cow near the side of a dirt road is a better trophy than a big bull that's 1/2 mile in from the road.
View Quote

Ha! I shot my bull as he was crossing the road, that was a rough ass 20 yards we had to drag his carcass back to the truck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Off my game cam in NW Wyoming. Not sure how easy to draw one would be but I could certainly point out some areas.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Off my game cam in NW Wyoming. Not sure how easy to draw one would be but I could certainly point out some areas.

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/bigg089/media/88AEEF11-E179-447B-A53A-CF4DCAEA6E75_zpsapexhd3y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/bigg089/88AEEF11-E179-447B-A53A-CF4DCAEA6E75_zpsapexhd3y.jpg</a>
View Quote

well, without preference points, they only gave out 31 pure lottery tags for shiras moose in wyoming to non residents last year. looks that on average you need at least 15-17 points to draw a tag as a non resident if someone uses points.

so if you dont have points, you have better chances winning the powerball
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I am headed up to Newfie in October for Moose with Mountain Top Outfitters.  Me, the old man, my uncle, and my USMC buddy.   Two bull only tags and two either sex.  Long drive but it's nice to be able to bring back meat.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am headed up to Newfie in October for Moose with Mountain Top Outfitters.  Me, the old man, my uncle, and my USMC buddy.   Two bull only tags and two either sex.  Long drive but it's nice to be able to bring back meat.
View Quote

good luck
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I drew an Idaho tag the first year I applied (2005) Idaho usually has left over tags in some of the remote units every year. You just have to know where to look.

View Quote

Just out of curiosity, where should I look?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#23]
It's been about 25 years since I hunted there so I don't know how things have changed but Newfoundland was great ! I saw 23 moose, 5 bulls, in three days. I hunted the Long Range Mountains and I wished I had also bought a caribou tag. I must have seen at least 200 woodland caribou and several had really impressive racks. If you have never seen caribou they all look big so you should listen to your guide.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Clearwater, Lochsa, Bob Marshall.

Look over the draw stats and harvest reports for the 9, 10 and 12 units. they have changed some since 05 and I haven't kept up, since I can never draw again.

I was drawn in unit 12-5
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's been about 25 years since I hunted there so I don't know how things have changed but Newfoundland was great ! I saw 23 moose, 5 bulls, in three days. I hunted the Long Range Mountains and I wished I had also bought a caribou tag. I must have seen at least 200 woodland caribou and several had really impressive racks. If you have never seen caribou they all look big so you should listen to your guide.
View Quote

I was very fortunate to have spent a few summers as a teen in northern quebec working as camp bitch/fishing guide and have killed I think 8 caribou.  The first time out you definitely are like "shit they all look big!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

USMC buddy had to bail.  Luckily dad's childhood friend was able to step in. We are all packed, leaving at midnight to drive 16 hours to ferry then overnight ride to Newfoundland. Should be hunting by Monday morning.  Pretty excited. Getting sleep tonight is unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do exist here though, usually near elk territory, we had someone see a cow moose yesterday morning trying for an elk.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I first applied for a resident Maine permit in 1989,finally filled my tag on my first permit this year.I had been thinking that I would never see a maine moose permit and had been looking into Newfoundland for moose.Now that I have my freezer full I can wait for the next one.I can see myself taking the NFLD route next time.I spent a summer there many years ago,its like Alaska east.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got to ferry. Looong drive from upstate NY.  16 hours straight with 4 guys taking 4 hour shifts.  Looking forward to a nights sleep on the ferry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just got to ferry. Looong drive from upstate NY.  16 hours straight with 4 guys taking 4 hour shifts.  Looking forward to a nights sleep on the ferry.
View Quote

Good luck!

Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been there done that. I went with a friend and his son. I asked them if they brought motion sickness pills and they laughed. We were making an overnight crossing so we got a stateroom and when they saw the seatbelts on the bunks to hold you in during rough weather they didn't laugh any more. It didn't disappoint. The bow would plow into a swell, and then the stern would come out of the water and the screw would speed up and the ship would shake until it got back in the water again. It was almost like being back in the navy but the messenger didn't come wake me up to stand the mid watch in the fire room.

You will like the Newfoundland. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Nearly every day I went hunting for elk where I am we ran into moose. Bulls and cows and calves. So I got to looking At the hunt area. They give out 5 tags for the main place I hunt and 15 tags for the second. I'm pretty tempted to try this now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Since you're in Oregon, I'd suggest British Columbia.  Some good moose hunting that is within driving distance and semi-affordable.  I've been twice, and while not inexpensive I tagged out both times.  

Much better than the odds waiting to draw somewhere and trying to self-guide IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Pros: Got 3 moose.  One of which was a nice 16 point that they said was 2nd largest for the year.  Other two were spikers. Hard hunt and Guides worked hard for it.  Cook was good.  Meat processing was seamless.  Easy border crossing

Cons:  Significant lack of organization.  stopped on the way in to cut firewood.  Probably could have gotten 1/2 day of hunt in if not for delays.  Monday was forecast as really bad weather (we didn't know and guides gave us no clue).  Guides didn't tell us but proceeded to get uncomfortably drunk till like 3 am.  We were up at 5 am expecting to hunt. Guides (including like head guide for whole company) slept till 11 am.  Winds and rain blew into building beds were soaked.  Tiny assed stove with wet wood did nothing to assist the situation.

That is one day.  The rest of the days were similar but we managed to get animals.  Like not a horrible deal overall but just really slapdash shitty.  No clear guiding on when what where to shoot.  The guides basically just stuck us up on ridges and drove massive swaths of land.  Which is a mother fucker and we tipped accordingly.  But I don't know if I would recommend this guide to folks.  Like if you go in as a guy who wants to be selective and get a nice moose this shit aint for you.  Pure meat hunt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pros: Got 3 moose.  One of which was a nice 16 point that they said was 2nd largest for the year.  Other two were spikers. Hard hunt and Guides worked hard for it.  Cook was good.  Meat processing was seamless.  Easy border crossing

Cons:  Significant lack of organization.  stopped on the way in to cut firewood.  Probably could have gotten 1/2 day of hunt in if not for delays.  Monday was forecast as really bad weather (we didn't know and guides gave us no clue).  Guides didn't tell us but proceeded to get uncomfortably drunk till like 3 am.  We were up at 5 am expecting to hunt. Guides (including like head guide for whole company) slept till 11 am.  Winds and rain blew into building beds were soaked.  Tiny assed stove with wet wood did nothing to assist the situation.

That is one day.  The rest of the days were similar but we managed to get animals.  Like not a horrible deal overall but just really slapdash shitty.  No clear guiding on when what where to shoot.  The guides basically just stuck us up on ridges and drove massive swaths of land.  Which is a mother fucker and we tipped accordingly.  But I don't know if I would recommend this guide to folks.  Like if you go in as a guy who wants to be selective and get a nice moose this shit aint for you.  Pure meat hunt.
View Quote

How many moose did you see over all? Were you in an area with caribou? On our hunt I was out for meat and so were the other two guys I went with. The first bull we saw was 53 inches wide and I forgot how many points but he was a very nice bull. The guide asked who wanted to shoot him and I said let my buddies son take him. The next day we both filled our tags too, mine was a 9 point total and his was an 8.

Our cook was also very good, he only cooked breakfast and supper and we had kippered snacks and tea for lunch. I was satisfied with the guides. I thought I was pretty damned tough but those guys could walk me to death although I wouldn't let them know it. My friends 18 year old son had to stop and lay out in the moss and catch his breath. We hunted mostly open tundra and the guides told us if the fog moved in we would stay put where we were no matter how long it took until it lifted. Every time a plane came in they would bring an armful of wood. One night the guides burned a foam archery target and a tire in the camp stove. It started chugging like a locomotive and everybody got up and shuttled around nervously until it calmed down. Ahh good times.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Noob question, but I live in DFW, how do you bring meat back ? Mount could be done locally at taxidermyand shipped I guess
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Airlines.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

To me that's just unacceptable behavior when you are paying good money for a hunt.  They could have at least said hey the whether is going to suck tomorrow so we aren't hunting go ahead and get drunk and sleep in.  Most important thing is you did see moose, imagine going on that trip with crappy cabins/guides and then not see any moose.  Question Is there public ground available that americans can go hunt on themselves?  I have seen camps advertising that they have bunk houses and boats available, I would think that a reasonably talented hunter could find Moose on their own, from what I have heard and read they are pretty common up that way.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To me that's just unacceptable behavior when you are paying good money for a hunt.  They could have at least said hey the whether is going to suck tomorrow so we aren't hunting go ahead and get drunk and sleep in.  Most important thing is you did see moose, imagine going on that trip with crappy cabins/guides and then not see any moose.  Question Is there public ground available that americans can go hunt on themselves?  I have seen camps advertising that they have bunk houses and boats available, I would think that a reasonably talented hunter could find Moose on their own, from what I have heard and read they are pretty common up that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its by area I think and I don't think it's like open use
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Just purchased my first preference point for moose here. I always see them when elk hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top