Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2016 2:53:17 PM EDT
Anyone hunted West Elk Wilderness? I didn't draw in any of my states this year so I'm going the OTC route. Going for 2nd, possibly 3rd rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
great unit. I live in the area. in 2nd or 3rd rifle you'll be at the whims of the snow and whether it's enough to push them into lower elevations. The best access roads are just north of the blue mesa reservoir, but there are some trailheads off of ohio creek road but a longer hike to get in. Another part of 54 a lot of people overlook is the red mountain and flat top mountain area between ohio creek and hwy 135. I've regularly seen elk near red mountain. If there is good snow during 3rd you might find them down in the sage country off the flanks of flat top mtn. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
great unit. I live in the area. in 2nd or 3rd rifle you'll be at the whims of the snow and whether it's enough to push them into lower elevations. The best access roads are just north of the blue mesa reservoir, but there are some trailheads off of ohio creek road but a longer hike to get in. Another part of 54 a lot of people overlook is the red mountain and flat top mountain area between ohio creek and hwy 135. I've regularly seen elk near red mountain. If there is good snow during 3rd you might find them down in the sage country off the flanks of flat top mtn. Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to get out there in early August for a couple days of scouting. Will an AWD Subaru Crosstrek make it up the access roads provided it's not muddy or a blizzard?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
In August you won't have any problem. During 2nd/3rd season will be a different story because of the snow obviously.

This map will be your friend: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5182957.pdf

723 and 724 north of the reservoir are the main access points that will get you up pretty high and are good roads, but obviously will be the busiest come hunting season as well. There are also a few trailheads into the wilderness off of Ohio Creek road that are good. Another possible area to check out is splains gulch south to the backside of Axtel and Whetstone around Carbon peak. Lots of timber and very few trails. Main access is trail 436 (carbon trail) near ohio pass.

EDIT: go to Gene Taylors in Gunnison when you get here in August and pick yourself up a latitude 40 map of the area if you don't already have one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've hunted there before. The access roads get you to terrain that is straight up and down. I didn't see a lot of good hunting access within a mile or two of the roads. That's a lot of tough walking with little chance of seeing game. A few years ago, you could walk all day and not see any sign.

All of the guides/outfitters were using livestock to get into/out of the wilderness, and had camps a few miles in. In my opinion, this is the way to hunt that area if you want a good chance. I suspect finding anything near the access roads is very unlikely.

It seemed like a tough place for a guy on foot to hunt. In August, you might walk in, but you would need pack animals to get a kill out.

My opinion is it is probably a great place to hunt for guys who own/rent horses. If not, there are probably better places to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you planning on heading in at?

I hunt off crystal creek access every year. And have a cabin right there.

Lots of elk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lots of elk.
View Quote

The crystal creek drainage that goes into the fossil ridge wilderness in 55? If so, that's a sweet area for a cabin! On the river too?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The crystal creek drainage that goes into the fossil ridge wilderness in 55? If so, that's a sweet area for a cabin! On the river too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of elk.

Nah. Just right next to the national Forest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of elk.

nice regardless, how often do you get out here? Do you usually get a tag for 55?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

nice regardless, how often do you get out here? Do you usually get a tag for 55?
View Quote

Tags for 53/63 I do believe most of the time. This is the first year in 9 years I won't be out there. Our partners in the cabin are still going out though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top