Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2016 2:03:28 AM EDT
I'm about to go on a Barbary sheep hunt in NM this year and I do not have a light rifle that I would want to take. Currently the lightest options I own are a Rem 700 in .243 and a FN SCAR-17. Neither are ideal and I'm wanting a bit more powerful round. I have a TRG-42 in .338 LM but it's obviously a heavy beast. I'm seriously considering the Tikka T3 in .300 WM since they're a little cheaper now that the T3x has been released. It should be a MOA rifle with quality handloads and offers a very manageable weight to carry around. The elevation changes are over 2k feet in less than a mile so ounces count. Are there any other options I should consider for a light, accurate rifle under $1k?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagging... Semi auto DPMS "lite hunter" isn't light. Looking to add a nice light bolt action to the collection.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Howa alpine mountain. Very light and accurate.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Rem Model 7,.243
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What is wrong with .243 ? Should be fine. 100gr @ 2960 should take care of any Sheep on the planet out to 400 yards. 600 if you are that good.

Hell. I dropped a 140 hog with one round of .243 @ 310 yards. Sheep should be no problem. Don't over gun !

If your argument is longer range, wind resistance then maybe 150gn .300 win mag.. Lots of Sheeple use 300WM.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on your definition of light.
I have a Ruger American Predator 308 that's has a slightly heaver than normal 18" barrel, wearing a Vortex  Diamondback 3x9x40 scope, mounted with Talley lightweight mounts. 38" long and weighs in at 7lb. 1.8oz.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Tikka t3 in whatever caliber you like, great rifle perfect for mountain hunting

Edit- and for sheep I would go with a short action with a range of about 500 meters. So a .308, 7mm-08, 300 wsm all great choices
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Tikka bolt actions in various cartridges to include .338WM, 300WM, 30-06, .308, 6mm Rem, etc.

Also, I am a fellow TRG shooter too.

The punchline is that there is nothing in the west that I would not hunt with a .308, and in fact have taken more than a dozen elk in as many years with light .308 rifles.

I find the light recoiling characteristics, and superb accuracy of the Tikka .308s to be a perfect combo for typical western big game.

BTW,

The Sako TRG .308 works on elk at extended distances too:

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My 13 year old daughter took this cow elk last December, at a lasered 375 yards with her Tikka .308.

The .308 works.

Another elk taken with a T3 Lite:

This was my elk, with my daughter and dad from last December's hunt.

The punchline is that you really don't need a belted magnum to kill elk.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure .308 is adequate, and maybe the SCAR is the answer, but it's still heavier than I want to go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
How about the new Ruger Hawkeye FTW

I know the msrp is over 1k but I would think one could be found for around 1k
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Has Ruger QC improved that much (on their rifles at least)?  Last time I seriously considered one the M77 was getting all sorts of bad press over horrendous barrels that shot poorly and fouled like no other.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has Ruger QC improved that much (on their rifles at least)?  Last time I seriously considered one the M77 was getting all sorts of bad press over horrendous barrels that shot poorly and fouled like no other.
View Quote

The reviews I have read recently on Rugers have had great out of the box accuracy. I've been looking into a couple of more hunting type rifles for some hunting trips.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll do some research into the Ruger, but upon initial glance at everything fitting my requirements, the Tikka is the closest to what I'm looking for at around $750.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at the weatherbys, especially the range certified, they are under 1000.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Your remington 700 in .243 is more than up to this task.

I recommended any good bonded bullets in 85gr-105gr.

It's more than a match for most grass eating game in North America.

If you want to be talked into a new hunting rifle, i recommend a Tikka T3 lite in .308 or .30-06.

wish i can upload photos.

weighs 8lb 12 oz with a scope (NF 4-14x50 FFP)
weighs 10lbs 7oz with said scope & supressor (Thunderbeast 30P-1)

If you are a reloader;

185gr Berger
58.5gr H-4350
Winchester brass
Win LRP

Gives 2,850 ft/s from a 22" barrel & 3,050ft/s from a 26" barrel (Savage 110)
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The 2 light rifles I have owned and would recommend are the Weatherby Ultrlite and the Kimber 8400. The Weatherby Ultralite in 257 Weatherby Mag would be the perfect rifle for you if you handload or can afford the ammo. My 8400 in 300wsm is as light as I would want to go without a brake. The gun is very accurate but it packs a good kick. Not an issue for a hunting rifle IMHO.

The Weatherby was the nicest carry gun I have ever packed. It is also a real value when you start pricing the competition in ultralite guns.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a Howa 1500 in 30.06, with the larger rounds I carry to hunt elk, it kicks pretty hard, but you really shouldn't need more than 1 shot. Sighting and breaking it in got my shoulder pretty sore.

Howa makes the actions for weatherby, though the weatherbys are a lot nicer. I spent around 350 for the rifle and cheap scope it came with. The weatherby will be about double that. I like having a cheap rifle because it gets bashed up on trees, rocks, snow, and my pack frame. If I had the 750 to spend, I would have liked the weatherby, but the Howa is plenty accurate at 200 yards (under 3").
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I say a Forbes or go super light with a proof research rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I seriously would opt for a T3 in .308 and never look back.

Plus there is a TON of factory ammo you can get that if you don't feel like handloading, you are sure to find a sub-moa load that will work.

And if you do decide to hand load, it is pretty darn hard to create a handload in a Tikka .308 that won't shoot under an inch at 100.

BTW, 155 grain Scenars and Varget were made by the accuracy and hunting Gods for .308s.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I carry a Howa 1500 in 30.06, with the larger rounds I carry to hunt elk, it kicks pretty hard, but you really shouldn't need more than 1 shot. Sighting and breaking it in got my shoulder pretty sore.

Howa makes the actions for weatherby, though the weatherbys are a lot nicer. I spent around 350 for the rifle and cheap scope it came with. The weatherby will be about double that. I like having a cheap rifle because it gets bashed up on trees, rocks, snow, and my pack frame. If I had the 750 to spend, I would have liked the weatherby, but the Howa is plenty accurate at 200 yards (under 3").
View Quote

The Ultralite is the Mk-5 action. Is Howa making that one?

I would love to replace the one I sold...
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I Picked up a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag for my Elk rifle.  It's amazingly accurate with everything I have shot through it so far.  Tikka makes one heck of a rifle for the money spent.  

As for the caliber I will offer my $.02.  The .308Win is a popular round because it's a Nato round and widely available.  It is cheaper than many other calibers due to it's popularity.  With that said I don't much care for it.  Don't get me wrong it's a very effective round but it does nothing for me.  If I were in your shoes I would look at a T3 chambered in 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55(if you're a reloader) or 7mm-08 if you are looking for a non magnum round.  If you are looking for the Magnum then the 7mm Rem mag or 300WM would work.  However I shot the 300WM in the T3 and it's pretty brutal.  The Difference between the 7MM and the 300WM in recoil is pretty substantial.  I have a Sendero in 300WM and with it weighing several pounds more it still has more recoil than my light weight 7MM shooting 162gr AMAX.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Buddy picked up a Savage  6.5 Creedmore last year for a mule deer hunt. Liked the light weight and added a BDC scope so he could shoot longer ranges.
He took his shot at around 20 feet. Saw the mulie bed down and stalked right up to it. Guide and I laughed about his long range rifle.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Buddy picked up a Savage  6.5 Creedmore last year for a mule deer hunt. Liked the light weight and added a BDC scope so he could shoot longer ranges.

He took his shot at around 20 feet. Saw the mulie bed down and stalked right up to it. Guide and I laughed about his long range rifle.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH
View Quote
I have this rifle in 30-06 synthetic. It has traveled many miles with me chasing deer and elk in the Rockies.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm strongly considering the new t3x hunter in 7mm Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have this exact one except mine is synthetic stock vs the wood. Crazy light and very accurate. I am using Hornadys precision hunter rounds and they have been sub moa if I do my part.

OP, my suggestion would be a Tikka. You get great accuracy and about the lightest rifle no matter what caliber you decide to go with. You'd be hard pressed to find any negative reviews on the a tikka.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Savage 11 .308
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have this exact one except mine is synthetic stock vs the wood. Crazy light and very accurate. I am using Hornadys precision hunter rounds and they have been sub moa if I do my part.

OP, my suggestion would be a Tikka. You get great accuracy and about the lightest rifle no matter what caliber you decide to go with. You'd be hard pressed to find any negative reviews on the a tikka.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What weight bullet? Do you know the velocity you're getting?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 162 ELD-X bullet. I haven't chrono'd the rounds yet so I'm not sure the exact velocity. Using the Strelok app I input the velocity of 2950 (off the Hornady box) and made a hit 2" below where I was aiming at 485 yds. This was using the turrets off my Viper PST. I was happy about that, but need to actually put some time into the round to get a accurate dope chart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The 162 ELD-X bullet. I haven't chrono'd the rounds yet so I'm not sure the exact velocity. Using the Strelok app I input the velocity of 2950 (off the Hornady box) and made a hit 2" below where I was aiming at 485 yds. This was using the turrets off my Viper PST. I was happy about that, but need to actually put some time into the round to get a accurate dope chart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow that's great shooting.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM

Took my elk this year with it.  Fantastic rifle.  Muzzle break with limb saver, less recoil than my bull barrel .308 Rem 700.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Tikka with fluted barrel. Great set up, super light, super accurate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm a bit hesitant about recommending anything from Remington at this point but for a light rifle I really like my Model 7 in 260 - not sure when I bought it but it has to be approaching 10yrs old (I think). Very light and handy. Has been absolute death to any deer it has shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My rem Seven is a great rifle.  Its my most used rifle.  However, I don't regard it as a long range proposition.  It's about a 1.2-2MOA gun, despite years of load development.  This is plenty for the typical 25-200 yard shots that abound where I hunt.  However, it's not a tack driver.  I cannot, with good conscience, recommend any recent Remington.

Furthermore, while its easy to carry, it isn't so easy to shoot.  Its less forgiving of position, shooter error etc than a heavier rifle.  Finally, the short 20" barrel really cuts velocities down.  While mine is in 308,  and the 308 can be a decent longer range round, velocity losses make long range bullet expansion dicey.

If you want light, look at some of the Kimbers.  VERY light...  and with 22" and longer barrels.  regular Kimber Hunter is about 5.5 lbs, 22" and in 6.5 Creedmore....

I will say this:  Avoid Weatherby.  I bought a Weatherby Vanguard II Back Country.  It would not feed reliably through a magazine full of ammo, and Weatherby had to play games with the warranty work.  Furthermore, I can get 3/4" groups all day with both a used Savage Hog Hunter in .223 with a $150 red field 3-9X scope, and a used Ruger .300 Blackout with a similarly cheap old used bushnell 2-7x.  However, the Vanguard with Warne rings and bases and a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x  and later a Weaver SuperSlam 3-15X wouldn't shoot better than 2" at 10 yards off a rest.  And this is with not less than about 12 different types of premium ammo.  Weatherby again seems to want to play games with warranty work....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting; I got very frustrated with my Model 7 at first as I was getting 2-2.5 MOA groups with several powder/bullet combinations and was thinking about moving it on. I was shooting with a friend who has a 6.5x55. His pet load was Varget with a 140gr GameKing and he suggested I try the same; I loaded up some with that combo for myself, checked zero and put the next 3 rounds into a 7/8" group at 100yds - all of a sudden life was good again. I would not hesitate to shoot 3-350 with a solid position. He has a Model 7 in 350Mag that is a very fine shooter as well. It seems to be a rifle that is capable but finicky.

Do you reload? (sounds like you do) If so I might be tempted to keep at it, there may well yet be a combo out there you rifle will like better as well. Although at 1.2MOA I wouldn't feel bad for a hunting rifle. As for a new one - yeah, I do understand your concern.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I think you already arrived at the best answer- Tikka.

I would certainly jump on a closeout priced T3 (steel recoil lugs are cheap to do yourself).

A more difficult choice is optics (not necessarily scope but spotting scope and binos).
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

considering thsy have had about four decades to get over the bad batch of rifles, yeah, its pretty much resolved.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think you already arrived at the best answer- Tikka.

I would certainly jump on a closeout priced T3 (steel recoil lugs are cheap to do yourself).

A more difficult choice is optics (not necessarily scope but spotting scope and binos).
View Quote

LOL. No shit. I dreamed about bringing home new binoculars last night. Wife was not pleased.

Tikka T3X in 7mm with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14X40 side focus is our next rifle. Light, powerful, decent optics. All for around $1000.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM.  Custom Muzzle Break, Limbsaver Recoil Pad, some other custom parts and work by Mountain Tactical.  Barely any recoil.  Took this little guy at 340 yards, and shoots really nice.    I would highly recommend.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#39]
No personal experience with the Tikkas, but in general I'm leery of light rifles in magnum calibers from a recoil standpoint.

Tikka is a good choice though, the question is how far are you expecting to shoot?

7mm-08 comes in a variety of short action light, handy rifles including the Tikka and has decent ballistics.  Not much practical difference between it, the 308 and others.

And, nothing wrong with your 243 either as far as that goes.  Can't imagine there would be that much weight savings between that and a Tikka?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
For a cheaper option I'd look at a Tikka T3 in the caliber of your choice. If you want one of the best light weight rifles on the market without going full custom, I'd take a long look at Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For a cheaper option I'd look at a Tikka T3 in the caliber of your choice. If you want one of the best light weight rifles on the market without going full custom, I'd take a long look at Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight.
View Quote

I have a savage model 16 in 300 wsm.  Not a ultra light rifle but about as light as I would want to go for a magnum cartridge.  With the savage I can shoot a box of ammo without getting a black and blue shoulder.  It starts to wear on me after about 10 rounds but I can still shoot it accurately till the high teens before the consistent recoil bothers me enough to start to pull shots.  No break so its not supper loud for hunting.  I would like to try the savage breaks that turn off and on.  Same POI but you could shoot all day at range with it on and then turn it off when hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
@cms81586

What rifle, cartridge, scope did you pick?  How did the hunt go???

Edited to add:  Nevermind!  I found the AAR thread.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@cms81586

What rifle, cartridge, scope did you pick?  How did the hunt go???
View Quote

Ended up taking the .338 Lapua TRG-42 the last few times out. Been on sheep 3 times with one being within shooting range. Missed due to my own stupid mistake. I'll bag one before the tag expires. Bought one of the Walmart $199 clearance .30-06 Ruger American Rifles and mounted a scope on it recently. Need to go zero it and then see how it does on the range before I trust it. Also have the SCAR back from FN with a repaired crown so if it shoots well that's another option. This year was sort of rushed so next year I think I've decided on a 6.5x55 Tikka T3x and some variant of Vortex scope. AAR here from the last few times out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_2/687783_Barbary-sheep-hunt-AAR---.html

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top