Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2016 2:19:50 AM EDT
I figured this might be of interest to the big game hunters on ARFCOM...  I have been testing out three different hauler packs over the last two years.  While planning an elk hunt in the Rockies back in 2013 I wasn't sure which frame hauler to get.  I couldn't find any information on the different packs other then a handful of reviews or product promotion videos.  As time goes on I find myself spending more time hunting in the back country on extended trips.  When hauling gear to support an extended hunting trek you always end up packing a bit of weight, and sometimes packing out even more!  Due to the lack of opinions and comparisons on hauler packs I wanted to put together something informational that can help those in search of a hauler frame pack.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice video.  I'm using a Kelty Cache Hauler solely for the purpose of hauling out as much elk meat as I can.  I've made the mistake of loading half a small bull on it for a 3 mile pack out.  The pack handled the weight fine, and was actually as comfortable as could be expected.  My knees wish I had chosen to do four pack outs instead of two.  While I have not seen anyone actually break the support straps holding the shelf at the bottom of the pack, I like that Kelty uses a metal connector to hold the shelf instead of a fabric strap.  Seems stronger and less likely to break.

My Kelty has been great and I've hauled out 7 elk and a deer with it.  No signs of wear.  I still see them at Sportsman's Warehouse.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice video.  I'm use a Kelty Cache Hauler solely for the purpose of hauling out as much elk meat as I can.  I've made the mistake of loading half a small bull on it for a 3 mile pack out.  The pack handled the weight fine, and was actually as comfortable as could be expected.  My knees wish I had chosen to do four pack outs instead of two.  While I have not seen anyone actually break the support straps holding the shelf at the bottom of the pack, I like that Kelty uses a metal connector to hold the shelf instead of a fabric strap.  Seems stronger and less likely to break.

My Kelty has been great and I've hauled out 7 elk and a deer with it.  No signs of wear.  I still see them at Sportsman's Warehouse.
View Quote

I agree.  During our first hunt we also hauled out a bull elk divvied up between two Kelty's.  It was well over 125# each and almost to much to carry safely over that type of terrain.  If any one is looking for a long term versatile hauler pack then get a Kelty while you can.  

The slumberjack is nice as a hauler only, but when compared to the overall versatility of the Kelty. the larger size of the Kelty makes it nicer for longer outings.  Realistically if your packing a hauler pack full for a hunting trip, your not pinching grams anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My Kelty is 10+ years old and packs out 2-3 elk a year.  It's a workhorse.  Shame they are discontinuing it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Bull Pacs

bullpacs.com

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a badlands Ox.  It's a little heavy but the features are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I used the Slumberjack on an elk hunt with marksjeep last year. I found it rode very well and overall I was impressed with the comfort and weight of it
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
" />

Heres a pic of my Alps frame pack from a week ago.  Got my first Alaskan Caribou and hiked it out full hide, head, rack, day pack, backstraps and 3 quarters of him ( m y buddy took a much smaller caribou so carried a quarter for me.  I would recommend this pack it did great for me, 5 miles plus in and out to the car
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/MADK0W64/20160917_175231_zpstzju10uo.jpg</a>" />

Heres a pic of my Alps frame pack from a week ago.  Got my first Alaskan Caribou and hiked it out full hide, head, rack, day pack, backstraps and 3 quarters of him ( m y buddy took a much smaller caribou so carried a quarter for me.  I would recommend this pack it did great for me, 5 miles plus in and out to the car
View Quote

Very nice!  I just used my Kelty on a 8 day hunt in the Rockies, unfortunately I never packed anything other then my gear...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top