Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 8:38:44 PM EDT
We've bought several digital trail cams over the years that are all POSs that apparently are not scensitive enough to go off when anything walks in front of it. I think one issue is digitals (just like my regular hand held digi cam does also) take like 20 seconds to go off. We go retreave the camera and it took 50 pics of nothing, I think it gos off after the animal walks by. We have an old 35mm film trail cam, works GREAT! We've captured images of herds of elk on it. We definately have game here, but I think we've NEVER got a animal on our digi cams. We read some reviews on I think Cabelas where others complained of the same issue.
So my mother wants a GOOD digital trail cam that WORKS!

What cameras do you guys recomend? I'm not really sure what our price range is. Cheaper is better, but it has to work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a good place to ask that question, wish I could help more.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a good place to ask that question, wish I could help more.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/
View Quote

That has some good reviews.

I have used Bushnell trophy, Coverts, Primos,  and my most recent is cuddleback. I like the cuddlebacks so far. They've handled 120 plus degree heat in direct sunlight in the Lower Sonoran desert, and survived massive floodings in the monsoon storms. The Coverts seem to glitch out and take pictures every other second. My bushnell and Primos have worked pretty good but haven't been abused like the cuddleback or coverts. My work just switched over to cuddlebacks.

Cuddleback Long range IR- Durable but no internal screen to check pics or settings
Coverts- Glitch, but have internal screen that makes it easier to adjust settings and to see pics.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They all are hit and miss seems like every one gets mixed reviews  I just pulled mine have a Browning Cuddeback Moltrie Tasco and my favorite so far is my Cabelas outfitter.

The Browning Dark ops has some insane battery life but takes crappy night pics I'd send it back if they would ever return my emails. The Cuddeback takes pretty bad night pics but friends have the same camera and it works great for them
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I continually run 18 cameras on my property to keep track of games and to serve as security camera.

Half are cheap $25 Tasco 3MP cameras that I got from Walmart clearance.  These cameras only take pics and no video.  I've had mine out for couple months now and they all work well.
The good points...8 AA batteries are good for about 8,000 pics and 8GB card will hold 4,000+ pics.  Very simple to use.  Decent color image during day.  Sensor is sensitive enough to capture pics of quail, dove, raccoon and larger animals.
The bad points...no video, image at night is not that good but you can still see the animal. night IR flash range is only about 26 feet.  The ugly brown case and black strap sticks out like sore thumb out in the woods.  I just painted mine in camo color/pattern and use brown or OD straps.

I also use several Moultrie Trace cameras which are marketed as security camera instead of game camera.  These were on sale for $50 last year.  I've had these running continually for past 7 months and they've all worked well.    
The good points...8 AA batteries are good for about 10,000 pics and 8GB card will hold 3,000 pics.  Very simple to use.  Very good color image during day.  Sensor is sensitive enough to capture pics of quail, dove, raccoon and larger animals.
The bad points...the sensor may be too sensitive as I've gotten hundreds of pics of tree swaying in the wind. Image at night is B/W but still good quality.  The IR flash range is limited to about 35 feet.  The gray case and black strap sticks out like sore thumb out in the woods.  I just painted mine in camo color/pattern and use brown or OD straps.

Just make sure to take them home occasionally and give them a good cleaning and put in new batteries.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you. I'll give my mom the list of cams mentioned. She is ready to buy today.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Put my Cabela's outfitter back on the feeder day/night its giving the best picks
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used now 2 Moultries from Cabela's at ~$60 each.

Great pics.  Day and night.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've used now 2 Moultries from Cabela's at ~$60 each.

Great pics.  Day and night.
View Quote

My moultrie has a painfully slow trigger speed but its an older model
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I continually run 18 cameras on my property to keep track of games and to serve as security camera.

Half are cheap $25 Tasco 3MP cameras that I got from Walmart clearance. These cameras only take pics and no video.  I've had mine out for couple months now and they all work well.
The good points...8 AA batteries are good for about 8,000 pics and 8GB card will hold 4,000+ pics.  Very simple to use.  Decent color image during day.  Sensor is sensitive enough to capture pics of quail, dove, raccoon and larger animals.
The bad points...no video, image at night is not that good but you can still see the animal. night IR flash range is only about 26 feet.  The ugly brown case and black strap sticks out like sore thumb out in the woods.  I just painted mine in camo color/pattern and use brown or OD straps.

I also use several Moultrie Trace cameras which are marketed as security camera instead of game camera.  These were on sale for $50 last year.  I've had these running continually for past 7 months and they've all worked well.    
The good points...8 AA batteries are good for about 10,000 pics and 8GB card will hold 3,000 pics.  Very simple to use.  Very good color image during day.  Sensor is sensitive enough to capture pics of quail, dove, raccoon and larger animals.
The bad points...the sensor may be too sensitive as I've gotten hundreds of pics of tree swaying in the wind. Image at night is B/W but still good quality.  The IR flash range is limited to about 35 feet.  The gray case and black strap sticks out like sore thumb out in the woods.  I just painted mine in camo color/pattern and use brown or OD straps.

Just make sure to take them home occasionally and give them a good cleaning and put in new batteries.

I hope this helps.
View Quote

Do they normally run those sales right after the end of hunting season?

I hunt public land but shit, at $25 a camera, who cares if it gets stolen?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I am switching out all my cameras with Covert MP series. I have three MP8 Blacks on bear baits right now, that seem to be bomb proof. Fast trigger, great pictures, long battery life, easy programming.

Should have switched years ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ordered a spypoint Solar it's getting great reviews, I should have it up this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a cudieback from Cabela's, forget the model. It works good but we can't figure out how to make it take videos.
I've bought 2 of the tascos from Walmart, for $50~ ($25 I think was a black Friday deal, maybe a different camera?) Anyways the tasco works fine. I've got a lot of game on them and even got my first pic of a bear in the ten~ years I've been running trail cams. What I really like about the tasco is how simple it is, just an on/off switch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top