Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 7:21:56 PM EDT
I have been hearing that the Aoudad/Barbary sheep in this part of Texas has grown to be a nuisance and crowding out other species of sheep.  I've also heard that they've made their way into Mexico and while not as bad as feral pigs, the Mexican ranchers want them gone which seems like a good hunting opportunity.  

Does anyone know if this is true about them being a nuisance?  Of course I heard this from a guy that knows a guy so it maybe its just B.S.  I used to go onto the Big Bend Ranch before it became a state park and never saw any so I'm curious what the real deal is.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are a nuisance but there's a bunch of sheep.  Enough that the Texas fish and game people went in with helicopters and sharp shooters and killed 10,000 to make room to re-establish desert bighorns.  With that said, they are NOT easy to hunt.  Mountain goats and native sheep have NOTHING over on Aoudads.  I've seen them move like I didn't know was physically possible and disappear like smoke in the wind.

They also make a beautiful mount.....looking at my 34" as I write this post.  I took this one near a peak in the Davis Mountains at 324 yards by Leica rangefinder.  Unfortunately, as my guide warned, they taste like a cross between cardboard and a truck tire.....and that's the backstraps!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea the ranchers hate them but want you to pay 3-4K to go shoot one off the ranch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top