Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 7:16:35 PM EDT
I'm throwing this out there, see if you guys have any ideas.

I got into archery elk hunting two years back, mainly for the four week season CO offers.  I just got tired of only getting 5-9 days of hunting, the weather is also awesome in September.

I have been towing my jeep behind my pickup to an area I like, but I have found the bulk of the elk about 5 miles further in than my truck can go.  The jeep can make it, slowly.  So I'm thinking of moving my camp back there, but it will be only what I can fit in the jeep.  

I plan on being there for 4 weeks, going home on the weekends and leaving camp set up.  I have been doing the 10x12 wall tent, but that will probably not fit in the jeep with all the other gear, and the pole set will definitely not fit.

I'm going to have to go minimal, I can bring more food up weekly.  I'm just pretty used to having a cot, huge pad, nice tent, etc.  

I'm thinking I need a roof rack on the jeep.  Water is nearby, so I don't need to haul in a bunch.

What can I cut out? My truck and jeep are usually fully loaded with gear/coolers/everything, and I hunt alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Wood stove in your tent? If not could go to something like a Cabela's alaskan guide I have one in the 6 man size and its pretty nice
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
High county, as in higher than around here?  I'd keep the wall tent and find other ways to accommodate what you need.  You can cut a pole set from trees and leave them cached at your site.  It would suck balls to get back to camp after a weekend, just to find your gear trashed from a September snow storm that also took out your tent.  

Roof racks might work if the trail is not too tight. Multiple trips, trailer behind the jeep, early trips in to cache some gear?  Load a small off road utility trailer with your gear, and haul it up in the bed of your truck with the jeep in tow behind the truck.  Unload trailer from the truck at the trailhead and tow your stuff into camp behind the jeep?    

Sounds like fun!

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to be limited to one cooler for sure.  

The canvas wall tent will probably get left at home, unless i decide to set it up w/o the steel pole set.  I'm going to scout a couple sites that may allow hanging it beween 2 trees.    Also have a cabelas guide gazebo, if I can find a replacement plastic pole joint.  One broke, and cabelas will not get me another since they have discontinued that model.  450 $$ tent down for a 2$ part.

Really have not taken the wood stove, september has been pretty mild.  I take a propane cat. heater to take the chill off in the AM, I'm going to have to get a 1 gallon pro. tank for this trip, the big bbq size one will take up too much room.  

I will either figure out if I can stay back there with a light camp for 4 weeks, or do what all the other guys do...buy an ATV and stay back where I can drag all my comfy camp into and "commute".    

I can cache a bunch of canned/dry food on a pre season trip in, mebbe even a case of beer
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High county, as in higher than around here?  I'd keep the wall tent and find other ways to accommodate what you need.  You can cut a pole set from trees and leave them cached at your site.  It would suck balls to get back to camp after a weekend, just to find your gear trashed from a September snow storm that also took out your tent.  

Roof racks might work if the trail is not too tight. Multiple trips, trailer behind the jeep, early trips in to cache some gear?  Load a small off road utility trailer with your gear, and haul it up in the bed of your truck with the jeep in tow behind the truck.  Unload trailer from the truck at the trailhead and tow your stuff into camp behind the jeep?    

Sounds like fun!

View Quote

Hi Mark
I'm talking about unit 421, back in by the bull basin area. You probably know the trail I'm referencing, it turns into a beater at currier res.   Been setting up in cottonwood creek, and finding most of the elk there are down in the bottom of cottonwood creek.  Don't really want to pack anything out of that hole.

Not sure if I will be able to get that canvas wall tent up solo without the pole set, the tent is 80#, the steel poles are another 80.  Been thinking about a rope between two trees, tied off to one and a pulley on the other.  run the rope thru the tent ridge and pulley, tie rope off to jeep and pull it up.    I might be able to do the aspen pole thing solo, never tried it.

I helped a guy recover his huge wall tent he left up too long a couple years back.  heavy wet snow wrecked his custom alum. poles and ripped the tent up.  That thing was 14x28.

You think I would be better off with an ATV?  I just like setting up where I can hunt out of camp when possible.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't you strap the pole to the roof and red flag it?
View Quote

Its a set of 1" conduit poles, they are no more than 5' long. But there are 20 poles.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
A group of four of us do our A tag (archery) for elk in the Avery area of Idaho.    

We set a spike camp, and bring two atv's which we use to ferry hunters to different areas in the mountains.

With atvs on a flatbed trailer, there's enough room that we can carry the spike tent, a 12x12' Realite 111 spike tent by Montana Canvas, along with the wood stove and water heater and coolers with food and packs cots etc.  whatever doesn't fit on the trailer gets put into the two pickup beds.

if you do buy an atv, get a two place flatbed trailer, then you should have enough room to transport your spike tent, provisions, coolers and everything else you want to bring.

A two place trailer is lot better than a single, plus you'll have room to put a dressed out elk without getting your pickup bed bloody.

We chain our atv's up to trees behind the tent in the woods, out of sight out of mind, and then come back on weekends for four weeks of hunting.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to get an atv, but I might be at that point.  Double trailer for sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Teepee style tent.  I make shift a shelter from a large tarp, stakes and a pole I cut from nearby my camp.  Another small tarp to sleep on.  Good thermarest pad.
I can make a small fire pit in the opening.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Phil,

I don't know the trail but know the area a little bit.  Been to a few of the Cottonwoods fishing and tooling around on quads, never hunted up there though.  I know I'd want a canvas tent for a month long hunt up that high, but that's just my preference.  I used a 10x12 for a few years with 2 2x4 uprights, and a 2x4 ridge pole that had a steel sleeve to break it down.  It didn't take up too much room and I could set it up by myself.  I like your idea of a cable-ridge pole too.  Another tent option would be a smaller springbar tent.  I have a 10x14 springbar for family camp trips, and can set it up solo in about 10 minutes.  The smaller ones would be even easier.  Teepee as mentioned, would be a good option too.  I'd just be hesitant with a synthetic light-weight tent for a month long camp that high.  I've had 2 synthetic tents fail under snow, one in Wyo and one during a September muzzleloader near Granby.  

That area has to be pretty beautiful in September.  Even better with elk in there.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Dang it Mark, now you have me looking at springbar tents, which look pretty nice.  Wife has been wanting to go camping more anyway, and my old Chinese dome tent has pretty well worn out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Op how about putting a 2" receiver tube on the back of your jeep, then build a raised storage rack that you can pin into the receiver that is up high enough to not be an issue off roading..then you can strap your lighter gear onto it, keeping the heavy gear down low in the bed..should give you almost 50% space increase..just build it tough so it holds up...
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Phil.    I have been 100% happy with my springbar.  Had 2 feet of snow on top of it up on the flattops 1st rifle 2013, not an issue.  I would not want to push it past that snow-load wise, but it held up just fine.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think you have the right idea.  A month is a good long trip and you are minimizing your list of needs and wants.

In my experience, given food a water supply and a place to clean yourself and dry your gear you should be fine with enough clean socks and undies/synthetic shorts.

The best part of a small camp is that you can move it if you find a better spot.

I've only hunted in a wall tent once.  If the weather is nice I don't usually pitch a tent unless it's rainy or really cold.  The wall tent is nice, but unnecessary for bow hunting.  

My short list is day pack, ruck, ponchos, clothes, two man tent, bivy, bag, and survival gear.  A mess kit is nice.  Gi canteen cup minimum.  A stove is required if there is a burn ban.   Lights and lantern are essential for camp items.  And last but critical, my bug net and some deet bug spray.

Eta.  I'm a CO guy.
View Quote

Usually, the weather is very nice in September up there.  But anything can happen with that, and I have enough miserable nights fighting bad weater in cheap tents I'm going to want to be ready for the worst.

This will be my 3rd time spending all month up there.  Wish I had more pics of my 1st, I actually started that one doing a simple tarp lean to.  That went well for a few nights, then the night temps got into the mid 20s.
I stayed warm in my bag, but the frost forming on it had me needing to dry the bag during the day.  Then it started raining.  Now I needed to dry my clothing at night.  So I set up a tent under the tarp, but it was just a cheep 2 man tent with little room to dry my stuff.

2 weeks of that was enough, tore that stuff down and set up the wall tent.  Then the weather turned back to awesome fall weather, ot course.     I thought I was a pretty hardcore former infantryman, but damn it's nice to have a warm tent sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Op how about putting a 2" receiver tube on the back of your jeep, then build a raised storage rack that you can pin into the receiver that is up high enough to not be an issue off roading..then you can strap your lighter gear onto it, keeping the heavy gear down low in the bed..should give you almost 50% space increase..just build it tough so it holds up...
View Quote

I was thinking about that too.   I have a welder and plenty of free time.   I used to have one that came with an 86 bronco I bought, I used it once on that bronco.  I never cared for it for some reason.  On a jeep, might like it better.  I'm leaning toward building a rack for the roof tho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It might sound a bit drastic, but consider trading that Jeep in for a Tacoma.  One of the reasons I went with a Tacoma is because it is ideal for a one vehicle outdoorsman.  I drive some pretty rough roads and have yet to turn around on a track that I would have wanted to drive any other vehicle down.  The Tacoma is a great off road truck and can haul all the camping gear I have ever needed.
View Quote

Those Tacos are sweet.  My '06 duramax has 250k miles on her.  Now I'm going from a new tent to a new truck????  How about sell the '06 and the jeep, buy a killer 72 bronco

I could get everything in an old bronco.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Blasphemy.  Trading a jeep for a bronco.

If you're considering a new tent and want to see a springbar, you're welcome to stop by and check it out.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you're considering a new tent and want to see a springbar, you're welcome to stop by and check it out.

View Quote

Better than a Taco!

The springbar website had some great vids, those tents look great.  Thanks for the offer, tho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Better than a Taco!

The springbar website had some great vids, those tents look great.  Thanks for the offer, tho.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than a Taco!

Shit Op better to just buy a nice SXS instead....  but I hear you..tough choice......
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shit Op better to just buy a nice SXS instead....  but I hear you..tough choice......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than a Taco!

I would love a SxS. Some of our trails have the 50" rule tho.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]
People pack wall tents into the back country all the time, using horses/mules.  Your jeep should do it just fine.  Here's the trick:  just pack in the stove and canvas.  Use a small chainsaw/handsaw to cut tent poles out of lodge pole pine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

People pack wall tents into the back country all the time, using horses/mules.  Your jeep should do it just fine.  Here's the trick:  just pack in the stove and canvas.  Use a small chainsaw/handsaw to cut tent poles out of lodge pole pine.
View Quote
+2

We pack two wall tents in our boat when we went moose hunting.

A 10x12 and a oddball 6x7.

People even pack them in their sleds pulled behind snogos.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top