Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2016 4:10:07 AM EDT
I went for a short meat hunt the other afternoon and shot a nanny tahr at 480m, here's a film! Enjoy

http://youtu.be/uLXDDa9wg0k
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice shot!
-JR
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
New Zealand does 2 things right- hunting and rugby. Very good shot my friend, details on the rifle and caliber please
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

New Zealand does 2 things right- hunting and rugby. Very good shot my friend, details on the rifle and caliber please
View Quote

Cheers!

It's a Sako Finnlight .260, with the barrel cut to 19.4 inches. Shooting a 140gr amax at 2700fps flat. Scope is a Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12x50. Suppressor is a DPT overbarrel, 260grams and extends only 100mm past the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cheers!

It's a Sako Finnlight .260, with the barrel cut to 19.4 inches. Shooting a 140gr amax at 2700fps flat. Scope is a Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12x50. Suppressor is a DPT overbarrel, 260grams and extends only 100mm past the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!

.260 interesting, I was guessing a 6.5 or a a .308. I'm really jealous of the over barrel surpressors you guys get to have. Pics of rifle and more kills please
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
.260 interesting, I was guessing a 6.5 or a a .308. I'm really jealous of the over barrel surpressors you guys get to have. Pics of rifle and more kills please
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers!

Thanks! check out some of my other films with the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IvWt9Yfpi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzsNdr1fH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzqDDrWq9OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOmSvQ7qxpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9EKLLsZ1Ro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OXseCImy9k

I shot this stag in the neck with it at 200m just before christmas. Have had it for about 9 months now, shot 3 deer, a number of tahr and chamois, etc with it

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Great shot Op..looks like a fun hunt....
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome!

My wife has been talking to a colleague who moved back to NZ after years of living in the states about foreigners hunting there. Sounds like a guide is the only way to realistically do it. Is that your opinion? We would love to visit and shoot game up high, but are not in a position to pay for a guide. Well, maybe a guide. Not an outfitter.

Hunting sheep or goats in the US is just not realistic, and we want to see New Zealand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's awesome!

My wife has been talking to a colleague who moved back to NZ after years of living in the states about foreigners hunting there. Sounds like a guide is the only way to realistically do it. Is that your opinion? We would love to visit and shoot game up high, but are not in a position to pay for a guide. Well, maybe a guide. Not an outfitter.

Hunting sheep or goats in the US is just not realistic, and we want to see New Zealand.
View Quote

Nah, I don't think that's true at all. If you're fit and competent in the outdoors, and study up on the animals you want to hunt a little bit, it's more than possible for a foreigner to come here and hunt tahr/chamois. Maybe not shoot a good trophy sized animal, but that's only guaranteed with "safari park" hunting aka "shooting farmed animals in a paddock". The Department of Conservation (who I happen to work for) can point you in the right direction for where to hunt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nah, I don't think that's true at all. If you're fit and competent in the outdoors, and study up on the animals you want to hunt a little bit, it's more than possible for a foreigner to come here and hunt tahr/chamois. Maybe not shoot a good trophy sized animal, but that's only guaranteed with "safari park" hunting aka "shooting farmed animals in a paddock". The Department of Conservation (who I happen to work for) can point you in the right direction for where to hunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome!

Fantastic! Can we bring our own rifles?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding, I would love to hunt Tahr!  Great video, thx for posting!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's awesome!

Yes, that's easy. The NZ police website has all the details
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Bumping due to my wifes friend sending video yesterday. Really chomping at the bit now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Amazing. Nice shot too.

I shot an elk last year at 420m off a fence post last year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Always interesting to see the meat twitching after being completely cut off the animal.  Had an oryx that twitched for quite a while after it was dead and cut up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
nice hunt, great video, and an excellent shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top