Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2015 8:50:12 PM EDT
I don't have any fat to mix...the elk burger I ground a couple days ago is needing to be processed tonight.

anyone have any thoughts on no fat addition?  will I die?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You wont die but it will be dry as hell
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You wont die but it will be dry as hell
View Quote

Hell ya it will be. Even adding some cheap fatty meat from the local store will make it much better than none at all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Never tried it myself - but I've heard bacon works as a decent, but expensive, fat source.

i usually assume 0% fat in game, and you want about 30% fat content in your sausage.   One of the local butchers sells a sausage fat that is about 70% fat IIRC,.  I usually cut game 50/50 or 60/40  with that sausage fat blend.  Going from memory here, I'd have to look up my sausage recipes to verify exact numbers.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
dry is not good at all.

not sure if I will continue, convert to the jerky cannon or find some fat!

thanks very much for responding!

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe I could re-freeze the meat until getting some mixing fat from butcher???  I've mixed the meat with spices,jalepeno bits and the curing powder.  I read in the instructions I'm supposed to add meat into case NOW and let 'cure' and then cook within 24 hours.

I'll continue watching the game and hope there's a couple "that'll work" responses to freezing tonight  

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can one use the fat from the elk or does it go rancid like other deer fat?
View Quote

I may have seen a little bit of fat layer near some ribs....but not sure if there is any.   ?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe I could continue making it very dry after "cure-cooking"...and just add a slice of cheese when eating
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
maybe I could continue making it very dry after "cure-cooking"...and just add a slice of cheese when eating
View Quote

With no fat added elk meat, you might have better luck chewing on your work boot

Do you have some burger around the house? Or can you not get out to buy some soon? buy some cheap 70/30, cook the fat out, pour fat into elk meat, make sloppy joes out of cheap beef
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
oh no!

I'm reading I can re-freeze so into a few Ziplock gallon bags and back in the freeezer goes 8 pounds!
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With no fat added elk meat, you might have better luck chewing on your work boot

Do you have some burger around the house? Or can you not get out to buy some soon? buy some cheap 70/30, cook the fat out, pour fat into elk meat, make sloppy joes out of cheap beef
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could cook an Arfcom amount of bacon (I have 4lbs) and add the grease ??  Or I could freeze....  :)  

wow, I'm thinking maybe an electric grinder is the way to go as well.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on what you mean by "soon" when getting out and buying.  Tomorrow at lunch I could buy and then in the afternoon after work I could re-grind to mix fat...  I thought I needed to encase tonight though....
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to fav meat market, order 8 lbs of ground pork.  Mix w/ your elk burger.  Make sausage.

Re-freezing isn't great, but its better than 8lbs of really dry sausage.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for all your help fellas!

I just picked up some pork fat for this sausage session and extra for nextime!

pics to come!
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
We used to use pork shoulders to make our white tail sausage.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
For me, pork adds good fat but it can change the taste of the elk significantly, use beef tallow for a closer to elk flavor if you'd like. No fat at all will be too dry.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
2hours ago

4 hours ago

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there a tutorial on this process? I'm sitting on a big, frozen pile of deer trimmings that will be turned into boring ground meat in the next couple of days unless I can figure out an alternative.

That sausage looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I can make a pictorial....   :)

you have to start with a good grinder though.... it can't be one that wants to go play all the time.    Yelling at it seems to work some of the time.

ha!!  made you laugh?

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I make my own sausage from scratch,  I make a cumberland style, breakfast, country, italian, brats, polish, etc.  There are many sausage recipe out there.  Do a search on vension sausage.

I do like the Hi Country Salami mix though.  It's the only pre-mixed sausage recipe I use.  (It's a cooked salami, not a true dried salami)

Use a good grinder, some butcher shops will grind for you if you don't have a grinder.

I use a stuffer to stuff casings, I tried the stuffer attachment on my grinder, wasn't impressed.  I use a 1-1/2 hp Cabelas grinder and stuff with a 5 lb lem vertical stuffer.  It's awesome.

Food safety is something to be very aware of.  Especially if your dealing with smoked sausages that aren't fully cooked.  You have to use the right curing salts - prague #1, or #2.   Kits will have the right stuff in the sausage mix.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn, now I crave me some Venison.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
So my next problem is consistency of the meat..it's crumbly and looks like it was over-grinded...but apparently I'll need to grind and keep the meat nearly frozen..and chill the grinding equipment too.

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I just grind near frozen meat and don't worry too much about the grinder.   I if want a fine grind, I do a coarse grind first.  

I have never used a hand grinder though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#25]
batch 2 :

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top