Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2015 10:18:12 PM EDT
I'm considering carrying a pistol while rifle hunting.   I use a safari sling on my rifle, i.e.. The rifle is carried horizontal in front of me where it is easy to access.   I don't want the handgun on my right hip because it will bump the rifle (noise).  I'd be in more danger than any bear or wolf if I carry on my left hip.  Chest area is busy with the sling and binoculars.  I can't see it doing any good buried in my pack.  

Almost sounds like kidney carry?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Cross draw maybe?  I sling my rifle over my right shoulder but use a cross draw holster when I hunt.  It is more comfortable while seated and easier to reach than in my usual 4:00 position.  It also prevents my stock and handgun from bumping while walking.  I'm not sure how that would work with your situation but it was my first though.
MBanning
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm coming to that conclusion as well.  Kidney sounds like an issue with backpacks riding on it.

was looking at the 1942 tanker holster from EP saddlery also.  I'm not sure how that would interact with the sling.

1942 tanker

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a drop leg holster?   You will look over the top tacticool, but it should work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about a drop leg holster?   You will look over the top tacticool, but it should work.
View Quote

Poor choice in real works.
Your holster/pistol will catch every brush, branch and weed you walk by.
I just carry a 38 Special 5 shot revolver in a small leather holster in 10 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm coming to that conclusion as well.  Kidney sounds like an issue with backpacks riding on it.

was looking at the 1942 tanker holster from EP saddlery also.  I'm not sure how that would interact with the sling.

1942 tanker

View Quote

It works fine with a sling.

The holster pictured is for a 5" Model 29 N frame.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I notice you don't have the bottom lashed down to your belt- how is it for flopping about, or for trying to draw?

Currently looking at the kenai chest holster - it's a little expensive for nylon and kydex though at $150.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a handgun on my pack belt at 3:00, and also carry a rifle with a patrol sling, no issues with the rifle hitting the pistol unless you let the rifle hang off to the right.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a G19 IWB at 3:00. Same as every other day. Pack belt can be an issue, but not impossible to overcome.

I rarely carry a big pack.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried carrying during hunting season in the past. I am generally covering a lot of ground, and not flat, decided it was just extra weight, so went back to counting on just the rifle and a good knife at my side. If I were to carry, I do like the cross draw concept for hunting purposes, but still would not normally consider it due to the extra weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top