Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 12:19:34 AM EDT
Has anyone tried alligator hunting in Florida?  Was it fun/worth it?  Any recommendations on guides/outfitters?  If I were to go, I would want to take a BIG gator.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked in Florida as a wildlife biologist doing a lot of gator work. I cannot recommend any particular guides but if you have never been gator hunting I recommend trying it. The hunt will likely take place at night (gators moving around more and you can locate via eye shine). You will catch a gator, usually by snatch hook, snare or bowfishing rig, then administer a kill shot once you have the gator by the boat.

If you want a big gator them look around Lake Okeechobee or north Florida. The south Florida gators will weigh less than a similar length gator from central or north Florida. Tell you guide what size gator you want and see what they say or ask about the average size gator they take.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it and will probably be giving it a try.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've hunted them in GA and SC, first time with a guide (out of FL, Phil Walters) and rest of times on our own, once we had a handle on what we were doing..
Killed gators every time.

Phil's website.  He guides/hunts a handful of states, and will haggle with you as he just wants to gator hunt!

http://www.gatorguides.com/
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
As a follow-up, I just thought I'd let everyone know that I give a big thumbs up to Matt with Triple M outfitters out of Palm Bay, FL.  I hunted Alligator with him today and took an 11'3" beast.  Great experience with a great outfitter.

I also took a hog and had a blast on his swamp buggy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a follow-up, I just thought I'd let everyone know that I give a big thumbs up to Matt with Triple M outfitters out of Palm Bay, FL.  I hunted Alligator with him today and took an 11'3" beast.  Great experience with a great outfitter.

I also took a hog and had a blast on his swamp buggy.
View Quote
Pics?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top