Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 4:58:54 PM EDT
I'm near terrified. Plan is I'm going out just for the morning to a spot I've scouted twice in the last two weeks.

First time going out alone. And first time archery hunting. I keep thinking: crap what if I actually get a shot at an elk?  I'll have to get it out myself and be into work at 1. [%|

Oh well.

Anyone else hunting tomorrow?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My hunt doesn't start until the 15th.  But I am already having trouble sleeping.  Good luck.  Nothing better than bow hunting for elk in September.  If you shoot one, don't count on making it into work on time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
We opened last Saturday. I packed in on Friday. Woke to pouring rain and cold. Hunted the AM and was so cold got back to camp and climbed into the bag. Got back out when the rain stopped and got busted by the elk.

Elk hunting solo is a tough game. They know EXACTLY where that elk they heard should be.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Last minute my buddy tagged along to a usual spot. We had one bull coming in but he made us. This morning we didn't see any elk but I had a 30 yard broadside shot on a doe Muley and I passed because there was a big buck another 50 yards back herding them around.

Starting to think I should have taken that.

Going to set up a camp tomorrow. Then spend Friday-Monday hunting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck! I used to second guess my decisions to let game pass, like a 5x bull a few years ago. Now I know better. For me having legal game in bow range and letting it go is kind of like indians counting cou (sp?). I am that much better for it each time...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Got my 1st archery elk on Tuesday at 8 yards. It was AWESOME!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my 1st archery elk on Tuesday at 8 yards. It was AWESOME!!
View Quote

Congrats.  You'll remember that one for a long time.  Post up some pics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Pic from the tree stand I will be in at day break.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My first time archery hunting was pretty rough. I had a lot of longshots that didn't connect. I fed a few trees broadheads. My best advice is practice the shot that you think you'll never take -for me it was less than 25 yards. My first bow doe never knew I was there. I ground hunt in Texas. Thick deciduous forests.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I drew elk and deer combo for Montana this year. Season starts 26th of October I believe.  Can't wait.  Good luck on your hunt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#10]
7 deer under my stand this morning... 3 fat does and 4 spotted fawns.  

Made for a nice morning, but nothing I would shoot.

Promising start though.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh man what a day yesterday.

I've never used calls before so the weekend was kinda tough.

But yesterday we got a response from our bugle 250 yards away. I sat back in the trees 20 yards from my buddy who sat at the edge and I began calling.

I brought In a 6x6 using my mouth call and hoochie I had him bugling and grunting with his posse of cows calling behind him. He was 20 yards from my buddy and 40 from me. He winded us and took off. My buddy is sick to his stomach because while I called him in he shifted from one side of the tree to the other. If he stayed in his first spot we would have had him.

Do you guys think the bull will avoid that area since he made us? Or is it worth going back to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
If he smelled you, that particular bull is likely gone for a few days.  However, that doesn't mean other bulls won't be through that area.  Would not surprise me if other elk were in that area.  But be ready to move to other areas, depending on your terrain in the area.  

Sounds like a hell of a day elk hunting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]
As much as people think the bulls lead the dance, the cows rule the party. If the cows didn't wind you they won't be to far and the bull will not leave hot cows. One trick if the bull busts you is to hammer out a bugle and make a ruckus when he busts out. Any other bulls in the area will think another bull ran him off. The other thing I would add is put at least 50-75yds between your downwind shooter and you as the caller. Satellite bulls will hang up 50-75 yds out from the primary caller. Your shooter needs to be in that zone.

Sounds like you are having a good time! Continue the party!
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you both were right. We went back to the same spot this morning and called in a group. 2 bulls, and about 10-12 cows/calves.

The smaller bull kind of led the front, stopped as we called. The cows followed behind him and up the mountain with a bigger bull in between. Came in about 80 yards from us. Our wind was bad though.

My buddy is going back there tomorrow, I'm going back Saturday and Sunday alone. Any tips for calling in elk by yourself?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
When I go in alone I do things a little different. I will go in to some thick stuff where there are rubs and I thrash a tree. I do a little calling and a lot of thrashing, branch breaking and spread bull piss all over. When I am done I give one bugle and change location down wind at least 30-50 yds and shut up for a bit. Wait and see if anyone get curious. If you call from your new location they will have you pinned so hold that for a while. A cow decoy can also be handy to relax a suspicious bull. Set it with its head pocking out of thick stuff and a heavy coating of cow piss.

I can not emphasize how well they can pin point you by your calling. The first bull I killed came in to 3', 20 minutes after I quit calling. If you call they will know if they should be seeing a cow. That is why they get hung up. Stay in the thick stuff and they will keep moving and looking, you may get a shot.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top