Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 8:31:53 PM EDT
Didn't think it would happen, but work may actually allow for the possibility of making it out west this year.  Problem is that all my buddies have other plans.  Not scared to go by myself, and I've already got a few places I know I can go, but safer and more fun in a group.

Just kicking the idea around.  If anyone could use another hand or is in a similar position, I'm open to it.  2nd season probably best for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
what zone were you thinkin?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm familiar with the Dolores/ San Juan area.  Mainly looking at southwest and south central CO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
just a basic pack in?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the uninitiated, can you educate us on whats involved in getting an out of state OTC elk tag in CO?  For example, what the tag and license cost, bull or elk, is it open to rifle, muzzle loader or archery, what time of year are the hunts, etc.?
View Quote

non resident bull tag is 688 and cow is in the 480+ range. i dont remember off the top of my head. you cant shoot either sex, only what you have a tag for. archery is starting very soon and runs for few weeks. 1st rifle is 5 days long and starts in October. that is a draw only week. 2nd-4th week are OTC tags and those fallow through October. Some zones may be sold out of OTC tags at this point, but many will still have leftovers. the OTC weeks are 7 day hunts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm looking at a few options that would be camping at the trail head and hunting about a 4 square mile chunk of ground.  I'm Ok with going alone because I know people in the area if I got in a bind, was just checking to see if anyone was already going.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm looking at a few options that would be camping at the trail head and hunting about a 4 square mile chunk of ground.  I'm Ok with going alone because I know people in the area if I got in a bind, was just checking to see if anyone was already going.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ive never been in that area but may be interested in trying it out. ill check to see if i can swing it
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have access to private land?  

I stopped by the local CPW office on the 28th, and the guy behind the counter told me that all that is left in leftovers is specifically private-land-only or units where nearly all the land is private anyway.   And that the leftovers for units where there was public land would be a overcrowded.   In not so many words "don't bother"

Looking over the leftover list it seems that he wasn't just tired of answering questions from rookies like me.   There appear to be a very few units which I'm cross-checking against the atlas, but there's probably good reasons why they are leftover which I'm not aware of.

http://cpwapps.state.co.us/Documents/leftover.pdf

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be going 3rd rifle on the Uncompahgre Plateau, but that's a couple hours north of Dolores.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

non resident bull tag is 688 and cow is in the 480+ range. i dont remember off the top of my head. you cant shoot either sex, only what you have a tag for. archery is starting very soon and runs for few weeks. 1st rifle is 5 days long and starts in October. that is a draw only week. 2nd-4th week are OTC tags and those fallow through October. Some zones may be sold out of OTC tags at this point, but many will still have leftovers. the OTC weeks are 7 day hunts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the uninitiated, can you educate us on whats involved in getting an out of state OTC elk tag in CO?  For example, what the tag and license cost, bull or elk, is it open to rifle, muzzle loader or archery, what time of year are the hunts, etc.?

2nd and 3rd rifle are both 9 days. There is also an ulimited quantity of OTC Bull tags for these two seasons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Out of state $$ for deer? pronghorn?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Out of state $$ for deer? pronghorn?
View Quote

$374 Have to put in for the draw unless there are left overs this year. There weren't any on my side of the state. http://case.epaperflip.com/colorado/Parks-and-wildlife/#?page=6
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll be going 3rd rifle on the Uncompahgre Plateau, but that's a couple hours north of Dolores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What units are OTC available up on the Uncompaghre?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

62. It is most of the plateau from Montrose to Junction.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not correct
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top