Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2015 10:56:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty slick.  I do gutless, but never got to tloin that way.  Always just work under the short ribs with my fingers and a tiny little knife.  PITA.  

Thx for sharing.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I will use that. Brilliant video.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Great video!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I could have had both loins out in the time it took to cut that. Waste of time for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could have had both loins out in the time it took to cut that. Waste of time for me. YMMV.
View Quote

If the guts were out maybe if not then please share your techniques
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just nake my incision along the spine and last short rib, reach in with one hand and the blade (carefully) and cut it out. First time took me 30 minutes to figure it out. Second time took me about two minutes per side, if even that long. This eliminates the need for any other tools besides the one knife it took to completely dress out the elk.

Dont get me wrong, definately not knocking this method. It is slick! I backpack in and do not take anything extra. Just a knife, a spare knife and a pocket sized sharpener. I have not found a need for saws or even knives with blades longer than about three inches.

This is where I got it from: You Tube Link
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always removed them the way Eichler does in that video too.  But I only do a few elk a year, so I'm nowhere near that fast.

There are a lot of small, packable folding saws that weigh very little.  I'm going to get one and give this new method a whirl if I get one down, just to see how it works.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just nake my incision along the spine and last short rib, reach in with one hand and the blade (carefully) and cut it out. First time took me 30 minutes to figure it out. Second time took me about two minutes per side, if even that long. This eliminates the need for any other tools besides the one knife it took to completely dress out the elk.

Dont get me wrong, definately not knocking this method. It is slick! I backpack in and do not take anything extra. Just a knife, a spare knife and a pocket sized sharpener. I have not found a need for saws or even knives with blades longer than about three inches.

This is where I got it from: You Tube Link
View Quote

Thanks for the vid I do carry a Wyoming saw in my pack but if I'm lucky enough to get one might have to try it
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Interesting technique.

Anyone else catch the head twitch @ the 5 second mark!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Why go through that much work and dirty a saw in the process? Easy way to get the tenderloins when doing the gutless method is after all the meat is removed open up the diaphragm, like you would to gut the animal, just enough to let the stomach start to roll out and relieve some pressure in the cavity then go in from the back bone like all the gutless videos show. But unlike you see in the videos you will not be fighting the guts as they are trying to squeeze out the hole you're trying to work in and there is way less chance of cutting anything while you're cutting out the tenderloins. Easy, quick and no saw required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top