Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 9:42:16 PM EDT
I want to do a hunting trip out west.  I have a budget of less than $4000.  I know nothing.  I have hunted in Virginia all my life, and am a good shot (200yds+).  I would appreciate any and all wisdom shared.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your definition of out west. Western Oregon is brushy. Eastern Oregon is open.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]

4k is kind of on the light side of things unfortunately for any guided hunt.

Your options are limited to black bear, black tail deer, prong horn, maybe a mule deer hunt, but you would be hard pressed to swing a mule deer hunt for 4k with travel expenses, tags etc...

You really need around 6k-7k minimum for an entry level guided elk hunt that has a solid chance of success.  The price sores with the quality of animal they will put you on.

Do it yourself hunts are doable.  Pretty sharp learning curves for a lot of states that have over the counter elk, mule, and black bear tags for nonresidents.

Personally I'd check out northern Idaho for black bear or eastern WA for elk if I were in your position and doing a none guided hunt.  Idaho probably being the best chance for success.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your options are limited to black bear, black tail deer, prong horn, maybe a mule deer hunt, but you would be hard pressed to swing a mule deer hunt for 4k with travel expenses, tags etc...

You really need around 6k-7k minimum for an entry level guided elk hunt that has a solid chance of success.  The price sores with the quality of animal they will put you on.

Do it yourself hunts are doable.  Pretty sharp learning curves for a lot of states that have over the counter elk, mule, and black bear tags for nonresidents.

Personally I'd check out northern Idaho for black bear or eastern WA for elk if I were in your position and doing a none guided hunt.  Idaho probably being the best chance for success.

View Quote

i have to disagree with you on the 6-7 k elk price tag. i know of many different hunting outfits offering fully guided elk hunts in the 4500 range with great success in Colorado and Wyoming. just need to do some searching around.

to the OP, i don't suggest a dyi elk or mule deer hunt for a first time western hunt. many public land areas get swarmed by hunters during these seasons so the pressure pushes animals behind hiking distance. many guys who bag big game on dyi hunts hike in many many miles and camp as they go, then spend 2-3 days packing their animal out once tagging out. it is an insane amount of work and a great deal of pride hunting this way, but not for the faint at heart and not for someone whose new to the area. if your looking for around a 4k hunt, PM me and i can give you some places that offer a good hunt for elk.

a fairly cheep hunt is pronghorn. hunts usually last about 3 days and are around 2500 fully guided. its a great way to see the country and get addicted to western hunting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I only have experience with unguided, diy hunts.  I've killed 2 antelope in southeast Montana and a mule deer in central Wyoming.  I recommend subscribing to Eastman's for their MRS section.  They compile tons of data on draw odds and which units are best.  Once you subscribe, you should be able to access their back issue MRS on their website.

As someone else said, antelope (pronghorn) are a great way to start out west.  My diy hunts have run around $1000 or so, not counting taxidermy.

Any specific questions?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i have to disagree with you on the 6-7 k elk price tag. i know of many different hunting outfits offering fully guided elk hunts in the 4500 range with great success in Colorado and Wyoming. just need to do some searching around.

to the OP, i don't suggest a dyi elk or mule deer hunt for a first time western hunt. many public land areas get swarmed by hunters during these seasons so the pressure pushes animals behind hiking distance. many guys who bag big game on dyi hunts hike in many many miles and camp as they go, then spend 2-3 days packing their animal out once tagging out. it is an insane amount of work and a great deal of pride hunting this way, but not for the faint at heart and not for someone whose new to the area. if your looking for around a 4k hunt, PM me and i can give you some places that offer a good hunt for elk.

a fairly cheep hunt is pronghorn. hunts usually last about 3 days and are around 2500 fully guided. its a great way to see the country and get addicted to western hunting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4500 will get you a hunt.  It won't pay for your tag, trophy fees, or travel costs.  All those costs will put you well over 6-7k if your guide is charging 4k for his services.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

4500 will get you a hunt.  It won't pay for your tag, trophy fees, or travel costs.  All those costs will put you well over 6-7k if your guide is charging 4k for his services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd never hunt with anyone who charges a trophy fee. As far as the rest I never factor it in as cost for the actual hunt
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd never hunt with anyone who charges a trophy fee. As far as the rest I never factor it in as cost for the actual hunt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you will likely be hunting with a guide who will just be putting you on an animal and expecting you to pull the trigger on the first legal animal you come across.  

Kind of silly not to to calculate the costs of travel expenses, tags, butchering, taxidermy, etc... those are all fees you will have to pay if you want to go on a guided hunt.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Tons and tons of guides don't charge trophy fees and produce awsome animals.  To say a guild will put someone on any old animal becuse they don't charge a trophy fee is a little crazy don't you think?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tons and tons of guides don't charge trophy fees and produce awsome animals.  To say a guild will put someone on any old animal becuse they don't charge a trophy fee is a little crazy don't you think?
View Quote

I didn't say they wouldn't put you on a good animal, I said they will expect you to pull the trigger on the first legal animal that you come across.  

Trophy fees motivates the guide to put you on a big animal.  

Regardless of your opinion on the merit of trophy fees, it's a moot point.  Even if OP goes with an outfitter that doesn't charge trophy fees, he isn't getting an elk hunt for his budget when he factors in travel cost, tags, meat care, and taxidermy.

Even if you took out taxidermy he'd likely be closer to the 6k mark if he pinched pennies.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
This is all Good Information.  I really don't care whether mountains or plains.  I just want to get my feet wet in the western hunts.  The whitetail here are smaller, and the ones that do grow to western standards are long poached before legal season opens. (at least in my area).  I'm looking to do some local lottery hunts, but looking for a change of scenery and type of game.  I appreciate all of the info so far.  I'm the adventurous type, though a bit out of shape.  I'm a scuba diver, so risk, or need of training isn't much of a deterrent.  I just want to know what I am getting myself into.  I have a friend that wants to go in together on a pack-trip hunt.  He's a horse guy, I'm not.  It's at the very limit of my budget, and therefore the advice on trophy fees and such is good.  I'll have to look into what is included.  

Specific Questions:

1.  I'd be happy to shoot something that would be a trophy over here, I am concerned that if I did it may not meet minimum standards there.  Is that a common mistake for greehorns?  I don't know anything about scoring racks and so on.  Would that be part of what the guide is for?

2.  Is this something that has to be planned meticulously?  Should I allow a year or two for planning?

3.  Should I expect to pay a large deposit up front?  What is the typical agreement between a guide and his client?

thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I spent about 600 over the cost of the hunt not including the tag. I do my own butchering and drive . We usually take a chest freezer with a generator in the back to keep everything fresh for the long ride home.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is all Good Information.  I really don't care whether mountains or plains.  I just want to get my feet wet in the western hunts.  The whitetail here are smaller, and the ones that do grow to western standards are long poached before legal season opens. (at least in my area).  I'm looking to do some local lottery hunts, but looking for a change of scenery and type of game.  I appreciate all of the info so far.  I'm the adventurous type, though a bit out of shape.  I'm a scuba diver, so risk, or need of training isn't much of a deterrent.  I just want to know what I am getting myself into.  I have a friend that wants to go in together on a pack-trip hunt.  He's a horse guy, I'm not.  It's at the very limit of my budget, and therefore the advice on trophy fees and such is good.  I'll have to look into what is included.  

Specific Questions:

1.  I'd be happy to shoot something that would be a trophy over here, I am concerned that if I did it may not meet minimum standards there.  Is that a common mistake for greehorns?  I don't know anything about scoring racks and so on.  Would that be part of what the guide is for?

2.  Is this something that has to be planned meticulously?  Should I allow a year or two for planning?

3.  Should I expect to pay a large deposit up front?  What is the typical agreement between a guide and his client?

thanks for the help!
View Quote

Most deposits are around 1000 bucks or so. Some guides book a few years in advance so it would give you tons of time to save and prepare . I don't suggest over the counter tags in Colorado at least. The public areas are very crowded. Most places will need at least some preference points to get drawn for in the lottery which you would have to wait till next year to apply for.

If you wanna go to get whatever you can, that's great. But if your lookin for a monster trophy you need to be prepared to go home empty handed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I spent about 600 over the cost of the hunt not including the tag. I do my own butchering and drive . We usually take a chest freezer with a generator in the back to keep everything fresh for the long ride home.
View Quote

So 600 + the cost of a generator ~300, plus $500 in tags...and 4500 for the hunt, that puts us at 5.9k...almost 6k

Like I said...6k if you're pinching pennies.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So 600 + the cost of a generator ~300, plus $500 in tags...and 4500 for the hunt, that puts us at 5.9k...almost 6k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not buy a generator for the hunt. if you wanna start pointing at ever expense why not add the cost of the rifle to? or clothes and boots. maybe even throw in the cost of the vehicle to get there.

damn when you look at it that way, its over 40k.  

OP your 4k wont even get you out of the house
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did not buy a generator for the hunt. if you wanna start pointing at ever expense why not add the cost of the rifle to? or clothes and boots. maybe even throw in the cost of the vehicle to get there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're being obtuse at this point...drop the generator cost...you're still at 5.6k...which is still the better part of 6k, no?  You will likely make up that $400 tipping the guide, which 5-10% is standard.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Air fare alone is pretty expensive flying out to some of the smaller airports like Jackson Hole or Bozeman or Idaho Falls,but it can be done
Here's a short story I wrote back in 2013 on probably the most awesome bear hunt one can go on. It cost me a lot more than 4K but in theory if you shot a small bear and drove out west it could be accomplished at around 4Kish. Enjoy. Bear hunting is my second favorite hunting after wild pigs.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1513569_VTAC_Bear_Hunt.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're being obtuse at this point...drop the generator cost...you're are still at 5.6k...which is still the better part of 6k, no?  You will likely make up that $400 tipping the guide, which 5-10% is standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're being obtuse at this point...drop the generator cost...you're are still at 5.6k...which is still the better part of 6k, no?  You will likely make up that $400 tipping the guide, which 5-10% is standard.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
A couple of other thoughts:

If you have a 2+ year horizon, I would not rule out a DIY hunt.  There are a lot of outstanding limited elk tags in Colorado that can be drawn on a first choice, especially with a point or two.  That would allow for you to make a trip out west each summer, research areas, develop a plan.  A ton of research can be done online, as well.  Bikerman is right, it can get crowded, but I would not rule DIY out if you have years ahead to research, plan, and scout.

Another idea is a drop camp.  Typically about 1/2 cost of a fully guided hunt, but gets you back into some great areas away from road-hunting pressure.  Camp is already set up, your game gets packed out for you.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A couple of other thoughts:

If you have a 2+ year horizon, I would not rule out a DIY hunt.  There are a lot of outstanding limited elk tags in Colorado that can be drawn on a first choice, especially with a point or two.  That would allow for you to make a trip out west each summer, research areas, develop a plan.  A ton of research can be done online, as well.  Bikerman is right, it can get crowded, but I would not rule DIY out if you have years ahead to research, plan, and scout.

Another idea is a drop camp.  Typically about 1/2 cost of a fully guided hunt, but gets you back into some great areas away from road-hunting pressure.  Camp is already set up, your game gets packed out for you.

View Quote

kind of forgot about a drop camp. all the pros of having a guide yet you make the decisions. if i knew the area im hunting next i would have done a drop camp.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#20]
No need to go with a guide. The biggest part of the excitement and satisfaction is doing it yourself and the learning that occurs along the way.

#1 western hunt to get you started is antelope. DIY will be around $1k-$1200. Do some research on units with both tags and public land in WY and go shoot something. It's about that simple. First time any one of us in my group ever hunted out west the 4 of us killed 5 antelope bucks in two days. Be sure to BUY PREFERENCE POINTS for wyoming this year. Buy elk, deer, and antelope.

Since you've missed the tag draws for '15 you can still go on an OTC elk hunt in CO. Unless you're lazy, completely inexperienced at hunting any sort of big game (including deer) or just stupid, this is just as doable as well. First elk hunt any of us ever went on landed us in elk less than 10 minutes into our first day. Nice bull dead and several shot opportunities within the first three days before the snowstorm blew us off the mountain. Point is, do your homework, get away from the roads a bit, and it ain't that hard. Partner and I hunted two new areas last year and brought home two elk. I'll hunt two new areas this year and plan to bring something home between them. I'm an easterner yet have never been out west not been successful in one form or another. It's a blast!

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No need to go with a guide. The biggest part of the excitement and satisfaction is doing it yourself and the learning that occurs along the way.

#1 western hunt to get you started is antelope. DIY will be around $1k-$1200. Do some research on units with both tags and public land in WY and go shoot something. It's about that simple. First time any one of us in my group ever hunted out west the 4 of us killed 5 antelope bucks in two days. Be sure to BUY PREFERENCE POINTS for wyoming this year. Buy elk, deer, and antelope.

View Quote

THIS!!!!!

My first trip out west was a DIY antelope hunt, WY HMA land, and my TOTAL cost, tags (buck and doe), airfare, rental truck, fuel, food, EVERYTING, was under $1000,
Granted, we slept in the rental truck all but first and last nights, and ate 20 McDoubles each, for breakfast lunch and dinner, but it can be done!

A buddy has done 3 DIY CO elk archery trips in the last 8 or 9 years and killed a bull each time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Do your research and go diy Ive been on 13 elk trips killed 8 all over the counter public land first year about starved and froze to death learnd some lessons and have had a blast
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Easiest to do and get a non-res tag is antelope,  look up each states tag allotement given out.  As an example eastern Mt in the late ninties alloted 13000 tags and less than half that many people   applied.  So theres always more sold at the counter.  Eastern Mt is good for Antelope. Wyo is the Antelope capital of the world and has an abundance of tags..  The regs will give you an idea of useful info, all to be found on the states website.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Colorado still sells OTC elk tags, so that's an option.   Regardless of going on a guided hunt or not, you will need to get into shape.  If you go for elk, you can expect to hunt around 10k feet or higher.  It takes a lot of conditioning to be able to handle it.  Living out here, we have an advantage, that you lowlanders don't.  Make sure your ticker is working fine, if you're up in your 40's, you may consider having a full physical, and let the doc know what you plan to do.  More than a few people have come out here, thinking they were in good shape, only to get air lifted out for a heart attack.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Guy I work with is going for elk in Idaho as we speak.

$150 for our of state license
$400 or so for elk tag

Why do guided when you can do 4 trips yourself...?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guy I work with is going for elk in Idaho as we speak.

$150 for our of state license
$400 or so for elk tag

Why do guided when you can do 4 trips yourself...?
View Quote

many places where you can hunt elk or mule deer aren't accessible when hunting on foot. you need horses or the will for walk for 2+ days to get where the game are. for a guy whos lives in state who knows where to hunt and doesnt need to spend 2-3 days of travel time to get to the state, self guided is the way to go. the out of state guys need to do mega research or trips to the location they plan to hunt in order to have an idea where to go. and without horses, its very difficult to get deep into elk country sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Eastman's Forums
Muleymadness Forums

Spend time there if you are serious about traveling to do this. Long term planning is key.

We spent two weeks in Wyoming on our honeymoon this summer. Part of that trip was looking over country we plan to revisit. We will make another quick trip next summer in preparation for Fall 2016.

We were going to hunt elk but have decided we would rather hunt deer. Elk tags are stupid expensive and bulls take years to draw.

Hunted antelope here in South Dakota two weeks ago to gain experience and work the bugs out of our setup (and did we ever find them) before committing to a ten day trip anticipating killing large mule deer. We are pretty new to this, but getting better all the time.

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Was just looking at the Colorado fish and wildlife pamphlet. Says I would need a hunter education card. Would I need a specific hunter education card from CO or can I use a FL safety course card? And what about WY, ID, MT...etc?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was just looking at the Colorado fish and wildlife pamphlet. Says I would need a hunter education card. Would I need a specific hunter education card from CO or can I use a FL safety course card? And what about WY, ID, MT...etc?
View Quote

As far as I know if you have a state issued hunter safety card you are good to go.

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I only have experience with unguided, diy hunts.  I've killed 2 antelope in southeast Montana and a mule deer in central Wyoming.  I recommend subscribing to Eastman's for their MRS section.  They compile tons of data on draw odds and which units are best.  Once you subscribe, you should be able to access their back issue MRS on their website.

As someone else said, antelope (pronghorn) are a great way to start out west.  My diy hunts have run around $1000 or so, not counting taxidermy.

Any specific questions?
View Quote

All good info.

I would also like to add that a few guys in my office go to Colorado every year for a week to hunt Elk. DIY on public land, I don't have specifics but IIRC they said they paid around $950 for the permit/tags/whatever and take turns driving all the way there from WV.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

just need your states hunter safety card. not a hunting licence but the card or certificate proving you took a hunter safety course. i made the mistake of using my hunting licence number for a CO elk preference point. the CO office contacted me and told me to give them the correct number before they process the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top