Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
Him and another former Marine are planning an elk hunt out in Idaho. They scouted in fall for the trip at the end of this year. They are planning in making it out to the boonies with 2 of these Ronko trail blazers...

Only thing I can see is trying to haul the meat out on those might be an issue.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Those look fun.

Saw a segment on those on motorweek.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Are motorized vehicles allowed off road where he is going.  Most national forest / wilderness areas dont allow motorized vehicles up trails.  I know people do take them, but you can be ticketed for doing so.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are motorized vehicles allowed off road where he is going.  Most national forest / wilderness areas dont allow motorized vehicles up trails.  I know people do take them, but you can be ticketed for doing so.
View Quote

This.

Most don't even allow any wheels period, even if they are not motorized.  So Bikes and game carts are illegal as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those look fun.

Saw a segment on those on motorweek.

Txl
View Quote

I don't have the specifics of where they will be. He just said they were planning on getting way out to where people most people can't get to.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
He needs to make sure he knows the laws where he is headed. All designated wildernesses are off limits to any mechanical devises. Some forest service and blm lands are as well.

With that said, I am starting to think about using a Felt Outfitter to access some hunts. Electric = quiet. Quiet = more game.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like there are several areas where you can use motorized vehicles for removing big game or transporting your camping equipment. So I'm sure they will be good.

More info here:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=152
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Long as those bikes don't break down on them, they'll only help. When I was in Alaska, the outfitter had dropped off two 3 wheelers to get around. Those bears loved gnawing on those tires for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Me personally I think it's dumb. And I've done all kinds of hunting, backpacked in for archery, rode 4 wheelers, and taken trucks.

Are they planning on truck camping, then using those to access the hunting area?  If thats the case just use a 4 wheeler.  

As said above most wilderness areas or even alot of national forest areas have roads and even single track areas blocked off for wheeled vehicles. People packing in and or outfitters with horses would definately call fish and game on your guys if they came ripping up a single track trail on those things.  

If they do plan on using those to "pack" in , how do you think its going to balance with a 100 pound rucksack on your back, or even trying to secure the ruck to bike, let alond trying to get an animal out with it after you kill it. Too me it seems more work than it's worth.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me personally I think it's dumb. And I've done all kinds of hunting, backpacked in for archery, rode 4 wheelers, and taken trucks.

Are they planning on truck camping, then using those to access the hunting area?  If thats the case just use a 4 wheeler.  

As said above most wilderness areas or even alot of national forest areas have roads and even single track areas blocked off for wheeled vehicles. People packing in and or outfitters with horses would definately call fish and game on your guys if they came ripping up a single track trail on those things.  

If they do plan on using those to "pack" in , how do you think its going to balance with a 100 pound rucksack on your back, or even trying to secure the ruck to bike, let alond trying to get an animal out with it after you kill it. Too me it seems more work than it's worth.

View Quote

This is what I brought up...the pic is not of one of their Rokons. He said the bikes are up in PA and his friend is testing them out to see how they handle and to fabricate side saddles on the frame. I think a small drag along cart or sled would be a better option than trying to haul 400 lbs of meat in side saddles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would think there would exist better options, but to each their own.
View Quote

Not sure why they chose the Rokons. I'm assuming they have to be trailered from PA to Idaho, thinking that maybe space is limited...idk
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is what I brought up...the pic is not of one of their Rokons. He said the bikes are up in PA and his friend is testing them out to see how they handle and to fabricate side saddles on the frame. I think a small drag along cart or sled would be a better option than trying to haul 400 lbs of meat in side saddles.
View Quote

Check out BOB trailers. If you look up the Felt Outfitter you will see how they are set up. Having mountain bike packed I will tell you a BOB is you friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top