Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2015 12:04:22 AM EDT
Does anyone here hunt with iron sight? I just got a sporterized Winchester M1917 with original barrel, Williams peep sight and sporter stock in 30-06.  I might rebarrel it later to a different caliber, probably 338-06 or 35 Whelen.  I am wondering if hunting big game with peep sight is feasible.  So far I have only been hunting with scope.  What distance have you guys attempted with iron sight.  I just hate to drill and tap over the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
They work great in wet/snowy weather in the timber. My custom pre 64 model 70 338-06 wears a Williams Foolproof.

Most of my shots at whitetails have been under 100 yards. I practice on jackrabbits, they are great practice for running shots at deer. One time I shot a running coyote at 185 yards with my 250-3000 savage. I'm not saying I could pull that one off again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not with these eyes
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to think I needed glass for my old eyes...lol... then I learned how to shoot the irons on an M1 Garand...then came along the M1A Not saying there is never going to be a scoped rifle in my hunting camp again but honestly, I am confident with those irons.
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
Commie bloc irons work too!
</a>" />

ETA:  Oh and the 03A3 is a great hunting rifle also...with or without glass
</a>" />

As far as range this mulie was 250...an easy shot with the M1...I would not hesitate a 300 yd shot but we do shoot a 300 yd gong on a regular basis.
" />

OP please do not drill your 1917. Those make great huning rifles. There is an affordable trigger and ejector upgrade for you to try. I found a cheap boatload of KA headstamped I believe Korean corrosive ammo to practice with...easy cleanup and if you are into reloading that works too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top