Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 7:16:21 PM EDT
WOW!

I been searching for a reliable and accurate elk rifle since I began hunting. My criteria has always been accuracy and reliability first and looks a close second. I have been through about 7 elk guns ranging from a Weatherby Ultralite in 7-08 through a Ruger #1 45-70. They have all killed elk and been fun to shoot. A year ago I acquired my holy grail elk gun, a pre 64 M-70 Super Grade in 300 H&H. It shoots well and is a beautiful gun. Unfortunately it is too nice and I can't bring myself to hunt with it. The search continued until last fall.

In October a friend told me he was selling some guns. One of which was a Kimber 8400 Classic in 300  WSM. I was ready to pass expecting a prohibitive price. When he told me what he wanted I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. As it turns out he had only shot 14 rounds through the rifle and it is in like new condition. It finally arrived yesterday and I was floored. As they say, a picture says a thousand words:

I mounted an old VXIII 2.5-8x and took it to the range today with a box of Federal Premium 180gr TSX. After getting it on paper at 25 I moved to 50 and then to 100 yds. This is the first 3 shot group:

The group is quite good considering this is a light weight, 7lb 15oz, hunting rifle. The only thing that needs attention on this rifle is the trigger. It is too light at @ 1lb. It has zero creep or travel. You really don't even feel it move. I need to tune it up to 2.5 lb for hunting.

Over all this rifle exceeds my expectations. As a matter of fact I need to go buy more of this ammo because I think it will be tough to beat this group even with hand loads.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That should make for a great elk rifle.  Nice.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a Kimber 8400 in 338 Win Mag last year and it is very nice.  I was impressed too.  I haven't carried it in the woods yet though.  Not much time for rifle hunting last year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a very nice looking and very nice shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My Weatherby Vanguard .338WinMag doesn't shoot worth a crap.  Best grouping is arouund 1.75" with handloads.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My best friend has an 8400 in .308.

It's a real shooter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all. It is a very nice rifle indeed. Unfortunately, the trigger was adjusted so light it fired on closing the bolt. This was on my second trip to the range with it. I am pretty sure someone "adjusted" it prior to my taking ownership. Fortunately I was prone and on target when the nd happened.  The rifle is now at my gunsmith with orders to make it safe.

In the mean time I have collected components and have built some work up loads. I can't wait to wring this one out with some handloads.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I got the Kimber back from the smith yesterday. The trigger is now a little on the heavy side but very usable, and safe! Shot a 13 round 180 TSX load work up and all 13 rounds fell in under 2". I'm glad to see the accuracy is still there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the Kimber back from the smith yesterday. The trigger is now a little on the heavy side but very usable, and safe! Shot a 13 round 180 TSX load work up and all 13 rounds fell in under 2". I'm glad to see the accuracy is still there.
View Quote

How is the accuracy still there if it went from almost 1/2" to 2"?  Did I miss something?

I just recently got a Sako Finnlite is 300WSM.  I have some 180gr TSX's that I need to load up.  What load were you using and what kind of velocity?  Beautiful looking rifle
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How is the accuracy still there if it went from almost 1/2" to 2"?  Did I miss something?

I just recently got a Sako Finnlite is 300WSM.  I have some 180gr TSX's that I need to load up.  What load were you using and what kind of velocity?  Beautiful looking rifle
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2" referred to all of the work up loads from 59.9 - 69.5 gr. When 13 rounds of 300 WSM with 13 different charge weights falls in 2" I am very, very pleased. For a hunting rifle my main concern is the first round accuracy. So If I can get 3 rounds under .6", which this gun and load does easily, from the bench I know I have no excuses in the field.

The load that really sang in this gun was the 180 TSX over 64 gr IMR4350 and WLRM primer in Norma cases. This load is good for .5-.75" so I have not pursued other loads. Make sure you work up a load specific to your gun. Your Sako should make you smile when you get your load dialed in.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhhhhhh… gotcha.  That makes sense.  I figured I was just missing something

Thanks for the load.  I never base my load development on someone else's but I just like to hear what works in others.  I threaded mine and put my Harvester suppressor on it.  Makes it feel like I'm shoot a 308
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top