Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 12:05:00 AM EDT
Guys

I'm a 27yo that recently moved to Houston. I've never been hunting before however I have fly flished in some pretty amazing places (Kodiak Island AK and Patagoina to name a few). I enjoy fishing trips with very little modern amenities (beds, AC, room service). I want to get my feet wet in hunting but find the average "bait a deer with urine then sit and wait" not for me. I am i high energy individual that enjoys the outdoors. I'd like to eventually go up to ND or somewhere further up and hunt mtn goats -it seems very difficult.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to where to start and who to call/email.

thanks guys

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with the baiting and waiting concept. It's usually the best when most people are pressed where they can only hunt on weekends and many drive long ways to their property or lease. Also many areas of Texas are not conducive to still hunting. Especially for beginners. Try and find some friends at work or where ever that hunt. See about getting on a lease with them or book a hunt in the Hill Country. Have fun and welcome to our great State.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guys

I'm a 27yo that recently moved to Houston. I've never been hunting before however I have fly flished in some pretty amazing places (Kodiak Island AK and Patagoina to name a few). I enjoy fishing trips with very little modern amenities (beds, AC, room service). I want to get my feet wet in hunting but find the average "bait a deer with urine then sit and wait" not for me. I am i high energy individual that enjoys the outdoors. I'd like to eventually go up to ND or somewhere further up and hunt mtn goats -it seems very difficult.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to where to start and who to call/email.

thanks guys

View Quote

North Dakota has mountain goats? I thought you needed mountains for that.

Seriously you might consider taking up hog hunting with dogs. Lots of running in the fields at night, stabbing pigs with a big knife, and general activity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously you might consider taking up hog hunting with dogs. Lots of running in the fields at night, stabbing pigs with a big knife, and general activity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys

thanks guys

I was going to say hog hunting with a spear if he wants excitement. Maybe try with a gun first though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was going to say hog hunting with a spear if he wants excitement. Maybe try with a gun first though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys

thanks guys

Was going to say the same thing about North Dakota. Not a lot of mountain goats up there .

If you want excitement and have extra cash to blow, look into elk hunting. It's all about covering ground, climbing mountains, and stalking. Colorado is probably the cheapest and easiest. New Mexico has good herds and is a little closer to TX but is expensive.

If you don't have money, look into hog hunting. Lots of opportunity in texas for that. Deer hunting is going to be a lot of sitting, especially in texas, which you do not like. Other places you can still hunt and drive the deer in a group a bit better. Driving deer is very fast paced and action packed, but is not legal in every state, and simply cannot be done in some areas.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top