Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2015 5:55:44 PM EDT
This may be a little bit different than the usual big game topic, but I have a somewhat unique problem.

There is a feral bull that currently hangs out in some undeveloped acreage near our back hay pasture. It is a large Brahma/Angus mix (we think) and is fully wild (can't get closer than 50-yards, acts very aggressively towards humans/dogs/machinery, no tags or brand). The local sheriff has already given us the green-light to shoot it given that it has been tearing up our hay and none of our neighbors have/will claim it.

I know how to properly put cattle down, but I don't want to risk wounding the animal by trying to take a ranged shot to the forehead.

So my question is, what would be an acceptable caliber to humanely bring it down (currently have access to a .308 and a 7mm Mag) and where should I aim if given a broadside shot?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a full broadside shot, the area right behind the shoulder is where your bullet will find the most vitals.
Prolly take several minutes to die, and will possibly move some distance.
Neck shot sounds like a better choice.

The 7mm is a better choice than the 308.   Just make sure you know where the bullet will go, don't assume .
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For the calibers listed, use the one you shoot best and use a heavy for caliber bonded bullet or Nosler Partition.  On a perfect broadside shot, put the bullet right behind the shoulder.  If the bull is slightly quartering towards or away from you just center the vertical  between the front legs.  If the bull is hard quartering towards or away from you, DON'T pull the trigger.

If you were in the Austin area I would let you borrow my .416 Rigby.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Then, this !
\
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
12 ga. Deer slug?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Large dairy bulls used to top the market in S. St Paul.  
You can get a shit load of hamburger out of a large framed bull.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for all the help everyone, I wasn't sure if the 7mm Mag would be effective. I've heard feral cattle can be hard to bring down.

The pasture is out in the middle of nowhere and the nearest neighbor is about 2 miles away through incredibly dense Central Texas brush and woods. I'm really not sure how this thing even got here, as all of our neighbors use their land for hunting and we only run a small herd of Charolais.

I've thought about transporting the carcass to the local slaughter house, but I'm worried how an unregistered carcass would be perceived (they know I don't own any brahma or angus) and I don't want the small-town rumor mill to start up. I'll probably end up slaughtering on the spot if I can get him early enough, harvest the nicer cuts, and let the coyotes take care of the rest. Should make for a nice afternoon grill out .
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
from 100 yds, a 308 with a premium bullet.  if you can do the neck, great.  if not, the boiler room.

I have seen this asked elsewhere, people said they used a 30-30 on up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bbq party
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Not for nothing but this is an awesome problem to have!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
As soon as you finish eating the tenderloins, somebody's going to ask you about that bull....eat all the evidence.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for all the help everyone, I wasn't sure if the 7mm Mag would be effective. I've heard feral cattle can be hard to bring down.

The pasture is out in the middle of nowhere and the nearest neighbor is about 2 miles away through incredibly dense Central Texas brush and woods. I'm really not sure how this thing even got here, as all of our neighbors use their land for hunting and we only run a small herd of Charolais.

I've thought about transporting the carcass to the local slaughter house, but I'm worried how an unregistered carcass would be perceived (they know I don't own any brahma or angus) and I don't want the small-town rumor mill to start up. I'll probably end up slaughtering on the spot if I can get him early enough, harvest the nicer cuts, and let the coyotes take care of the rest. Should make for a nice afternoon grill out .
View Quote

Any way the police can tag it for you, the way game wardens tag deer and such?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For the calibers listed, use the one you shoot best and use a heavy for caliber bonded bullet or Nosler Partition.  On a perfect broadside shot, put the bullet right behind the shoulder.  If the bull is slightly quartering towards or away from you just center the vertical  between the front legs.  If the bull is hard quartering towards or away from you, DON'T pull the trigger.

If you were in the Austin area I would let you borrow my .416 Rigby.  
View Quote
I was going to recommend that round as well (because I have one!)

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#13]
There's the boiler room...the heart lies low in there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#14]
If it were me in this situation I would use either gun and take head shots only.  If it is dense brush and you are going for a chest/vitals shot be prepared to have a chainsaw or a couple to cut your way to bull when he decides to find the thickest part of the brush that is around.  He may even find more brush to add to it just to make your life miserable.  It's not like a deer where you can just grab the horns and drag him out.  He will weigh in around 1500-2000lb range and will take farm equipment to move.  

Back when my father had a meat processing plant we would often get a steer or bull that would be brought in and decide that he didn't want to be made into burger and steaks.  We had plenty of dense tamarack  and other brush that they would always find.  We always tried to flush them into the open so we could shoot them in the head with either a 30-30 or my 7mm RM and on a rare occasion the 8mm Rem Mag.  Just depended on who was the first to find them.  
They were always brought back in with a Front Loader and then quickly processed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#15]
7mm to the head or spine from 100 yards ought to be fairly easy and definitely effective.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
12 ga. Deer slug?
View Quote

Sabot slug would be a pretty good option.  Foster type slugs might not have sufficient penetration.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The bull usually comes out into the open field on his own accord to chow down on the hay bales , so the brush won't be an issue.

As for tags, most Texas counties have (outdated) open range laws that prohibit shooting or selling stray livestock and, from what I've gathered, shooting feral cattle has always been a legal gray area that the police and game officials have just ignored.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Pardon if this is a dumb question, I'm a city boy:

Was he born in the wild, as evidenced by not having a tag or brand, or did he "escape" from a farm or ranch?

Just curious.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're going to put it down, if you have another reliable shooter to get near-simultaneous shots that might help also.  A big bull will take a lot to put down and you may end up chasing it a mile unless you get some good hits with big bullets.  Get a really good first shot in but keep putting follow up shots on target if possible.  

If you have a 12ga that is good with slugs, I would pick 12ga sabot slugs over either of the two calibers you mentioned.  If you haven't shot slugs before CLEAN the barrel first then try them out.  Sabots are hit-or-miss as to whether a particular type will work in a smooth bore.  Select ones designed for deep penetration, not rapid expansion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#20]
That bull cannot be much different than a bull moose.  And I know from experience that a premium bullet out of either the 308 or the 7 mm will get it done.  Take out the heart and lungs with a broadside shot. He' all go 20 yards and drop.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pardon if this is a dumb question, I'm a city boy:

Was he born in the wild, as evidenced by not having a tag or brand, or did he "escape" from a farm or ranch?

Just curious.

View Quote

It's hard to tell, but my bet would be he escaped when he was a calf (before he was branded or tagged) and has been living in the wild ever since.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That bull cannot be much different than a bull moose.
View Quote

Other than up to say 1000 pounds heavier than a moose.  A brahma/angus bull is going to be a large animal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
A lot of good information above, as someone that has taken more than 10 Cape buffalo in Africa and Water Buffalo in Australia, head shots on animals like this are a low probability option.  Unless you are extremely adept at finding the extremely small brain location on cattle and a very accurate shooter I would avoid head shots as a first shot option.  Bovines shot in the face but not in the brain will typically be wounded animal that will likey not be recovered. As you may very well know, but if not, the brain is located between the ears not the eyes.  If a head shot is the only option. Imagine a broomstick going through the Bulls ears from one side to the other and shoot to break the broomstick in half, in the middle of the Bulls head, regardless of the head position.  DONT shoot to hit between the eyes unless the broomstick center is behind that line. Based on the rifles you have access to either one is adequate, shoot 175g premium bonded core bullets in both.

I recommend shooting behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up the body from chest to back, in a vertical line straight up from the elbow.  This will put you lower lung upper heart and major arteries/veins above the heart.  It will also have you shooting BEHIND the shoulder.  If possible avoid shooting through the shoulder on the entrance.  The shoulder of a bovine is extremely hard, I have seen 570g .500 Nitroexpress bullets rivet and fail to penetrate heavy shoulder bones.  You want to avoid it on the way in but hit it on the exit, if the situation allows.  I would also avoid chest on shots.  It is easy to hit only one lung chest on, it is also easy to completely miss vitals chest on with a bovine. As was said above after the first shot do not hesitate and wait for a good follow up shot, contine to put bullets into the animal at any angle available, hitting meat is all that matters. I have no experience with killing cattle but they are bovines and I assume can get a bad attitude after being poked with hot copper and lead just like their African and Australian cousins.  Hope this helps.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck op  let us know the results.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I would shoot for the neck personally. That's where I shoot all animals that I have a nuisance tag for. Generally always brings them down without a problem from deer to big black bears. I would use that 7mm loaded with nosler partitions or something similar that is marketed to big game elk and moose hunting. Whatever you do though, don't waste any of that meat. Bring that sucker out on a front end loader and butcher it properly. It's not everyday that you get the chance for free beef for a year. I'm sure a game warden will be able to help you out as far as tagging it goes as long as you talk to them before.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#26]
UPDATE

I now keep the 7mm Mag with me ready to go.  Been keeping an eye out for him when I check the back pasture, but haven't seen him lately.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#27]

As a deer hunter, the shot placement for a bovine looks a little odd.  Who knew, eh?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for story and pics.  OP needs a video camera.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Had this steer bust through our fence and raise hell around the neighborhood before taking off for a month. We finally found him but couldn't get very close so we got about 100yds away and I put a 60gr vmax in his brain bucket and he was dead right there.

" />
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
A 2000 pound bull is worth $2000 to $3000 dollars right now at your local auctions.  I would tranc him and sell him if it was me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A 2000 pound bull is worth $2000 to $3000 dollars right now at your local auctions.  I would tranc him and sell him if it was me.
View Quote

Illegal under Texas free range laws, although it would be legal if we branded him first

Still no sign of him, I'm beginning to wonder if one of the neighbors had the same idea as me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't let the coyotes get the taste of beef.  They might like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep a camera with you, you're going to want to post a SHIT LOAD of bull hunting pics, before and after.

Do not disappoint the Hive. Good luck.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking its worth a ton of green I'd find a way to get it to the sale barn
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Last person I knew hunting for feral cattle in South Texas was using a .338 Mag and felt undergunned. Something about hearing a noise and turning to see a feral longhorn staring him down from about 50 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Last person I knew hunting for feral cattle in South Texas was using a .338 Mag and felt undergunned. Something about hearing a noise and turning to see a feral longhorn staring him down from about 50 yards away.
View Quote

Anyone who feels under gunned with a 338 against any land mammal on the planet, let alone TX, needs a better understanding of firepower.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Anyone who feels under gunned with a 338 against any land mammal on the planet, let alone TX, needs a better understanding of firepower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking about switching up my deer rifle

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to those who hunt Cape Buffalo in Africa.  They are smaller than our cattle here in the states and they can soak up multiple hits from big bore rifles that generate considerably more energy than the 338 WM.  

When an animal goes feral for a considerable length of time they will act quite differently than when they were in the pen being fed.  Most of the time they will run but when they decided to take a stand they can and will put up one hell of a fight.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Illegal under Texas free range laws, although it would be legal if we branded him first

Still no sign of him, I'm beginning to wonder if one of the neighbors had the same idea as me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot, brand, butcher, BBQ.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#40]
500 grain lead 45-70 will work nicely.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect this is a very naive statement and shows poor understanding of firepower as it pertains to dangerous thick skinned animals.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

With all due respect this is a very naive statement and shows poor understanding of firepower as it pertains to dangerous thick skinned animals.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, let's limit it to North America then.

Think a .338 Magnum would drop a bull? I do......and easily.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm in.  Waiting to hear the updates.

We had a steer get loose in town years ago that decided it didn't want to be burgers and steaks.  After rampaging through a few yards, the police were able to surround it.  Not sure of the final kill shot, but think it was between a .223 to the brain and a 12 ga slug to the boiler room.   There was a great picture in the local newspaper of a Police officer pointing a gun at the cow, which was staring him down from behind a short chain link fence.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
FINAL UPDATE :

Bad News: Suspicion confirmed, a neighbor dropped him after the bull broke into his fence to get to his cows on Monday.

Good News: Said neighbor has a processing area in his shop normally used for deer and did a pretty good job of slaughtering it. He gave me three steaks including one gigantic flank section. Fajitas will be served Sunday, hopefully he isn't too gamey

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FINAL UPDATE :

Bad News: Suspicion confirmed, a neighbor dropped him after the bull broke into his fence to get to his cows on Monday.

Good News: Said neighbor has a processing area in his shop normally used for deer and did a pretty good job of slaughtering it. He gave me three steaks including one gigantic flank section. Fajitas will be served Sunday, hopefully he isn't too gamey

View Quote

Invitation accepted! What's your address?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A lot of good information above, as someone that has taken more than 10 Cape buffalo in Africa and Water Buffalo in Australia, head shots on animals like this are a low probability option.  Unless you are extremely adept at finding the extremely small brain location on cattle and a very accurate shooter I would avoid head shots as a first shot option.  Bovines shot in the face but not in the brain will typically be wounded animal that will likey not be recovered. As you may very well know, but if not, the brain is located between the ears not the eyes.  If a head shot is the only option. Imagine a broomstick going through the Bulls ears from one side to the other and shoot to break the broomstick in half, in the middle of the Bulls head, regardless of the head position.  DONT shoot to hit between the eyes unless the broomstick center is behind that line. Based on the rifles you have access to either one is adequate, shoot 175g premium bonded core bullets in both.

I recommend shooting behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up the body from chest to back, in a vertical line straight up from the elbow.  This will put you lower lung upper heart and major arteries/veins above the heart.  It will also have you shooting BEHIND the shoulder.  If possible avoid shooting through the shoulder on the entrance.  The shoulder of a bovine is extremely hard, I have seen 570g .500 Nitroexpress bullets rivet and fail to penetrate heavy shoulder bones.  You want to avoid it on the way in but hit it on the exit, if the situation allows.  I would also avoid chest on shots.  It is easy to hit only one lung chest on, it is also easy to completely miss vitals chest on with a bovine. As was said above after the first shot do not hesitate and wait for a good follow up shot, contine to put bullets into the animal at any angle available, hitting meat is all that matters. I have no experience with killing cattle but they are bovines and I assume can get a bad attitude after being poked with hot copper and lead just like their African and Australian cousins.  Hope this helps.        
View Quote

God dang man, you are my hero.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
FINAL UPDATE :

View Quote

Don't leave us waiting?  What did he shoot it with?  .22LR?  TOW missile?  Nuke from orbit?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't leave us waiting?  What did he shoot it with?  .22LR?  TOW missile?  Nuke from orbit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FINAL UPDATE :

He got a broadside shot while the bull was looking at his cows and put a 300 Win Mag in it's neck. He said the bull staggered briefly and then dropped dead.

I had told him earlier that there was a wild bull on the loose and gave him a description, so he knew it was fair game.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He got a broadside shot while the bull was looking at his cows and put a 300 Win Mag in it's neck. He said the bull staggered briefly and then dropped dead.

I had told him earlier that there was a wild bull on the loose and gave him a description, so he knew it was fair game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FINAL UPDATE :

That's awesome, thanks for the story.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
FINAL UPDATE :

View Quote

No!!! I wanted pics and video.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top