Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
Well excited to post pics of our 2014 Elk hunt.  

Opening morning, drove to our spot, got out of the trucks and we could hear the elk mewing to each other, and the bulls bugling like mad (in December!) it was crazy. Never heard them this late before.  We moved over the ridge towards the herd and my buddies each got a cow within a 1/2 hour of opening.  I chased after a herd but couldn't seal the deal.

The herd moved out around 10 am, and it was dead quiet. So we hauled out their two elk that am.  

Fast foward to the next morning, same spot, got out of the trucks and low and behold the elk were in the same spot calling loud and generally making a bunch of noise, it was awesome!

I stalked down a narrow finger in the dark trying to stay stealthy, it was still semi dark and couldnt see them with the naked eye, but recently I bought a set of Vortex 12x HD bino they kick ass. I could see the elk with the binos about 200 yards away, I started low crawling and got within about 150 yards when the wind shifted and they scented me, spooked and ran off.

Right about that time the sun was coming up, and something spooked another herd next ridge over and about 300 elk ran my way and went right into the ravine I was in - they had to stop in the bottom and were bunched up and I got this nice fat cow at 300 yards, 7mm mag.  Dropped right there.  

What made the haul out awesome was after we were able to drive the truck to within 100 yards of my elk so a real, real short pack out.  Unlike the ones I'm used too (2 miles one way to the truck!). Really was awesome.

So 3 elk in two days, and now they are at the butcher.  

And oh, the weather was perfect 20 at night, 50s during the day.  Not like last year when it was -20 .

Enjoy the pics!

I was about 300 yards up this draw
</a>" />

Nice haul out!
</a>" />

Herd of about 1000 animals that all came together and ran off after my shot
</a>" />

some nice scenery
</a>" />

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you, and congratulations.  Thanks for sharing the photos,  wish I was there!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like good eating.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Good hunt! Well done and thanks for the photographs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the Elk, what unit? I had 1st season unit 44/444(glenwood springs) but blew my knee out in late aug, surgery this past monday. So my hunting season sucked. Good eats in the near future for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the comments gents.  Unit 4.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice shooting.  I would have thought there would be snow on the ground by now.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Great pics!  But, Vortex likes to keep the amount of their discount on the down low. My email asked me specifically not to divulge the amount.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats.  That should be good eating for sure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Some good eating right there. On our trip this year seen the fewest animals of the 13 times I've been out. My buddies dad drew a cow tag and filled it 1st day but didnt see a single legal bull between the 3 of us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top