Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 10:42:35 AM EDT
Anyone have one of the "new" Winchester Model 70s - the ones that came out in the past couple years since they began being made at the FN plant? I am intrigued by the Model 70 Extreme Weather - stainless, hammer forged, free-floated barrel, Bell and Carlson stock. I'm thinking about picking one up in 300 Win Mag for a new elk gun, and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them. The reviews I've found elsewhere seem to be favorable, but they do seem kind of hard to find.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a Model 70 Alaskan in .300 Win Mag and just this summer picked up a Model 70 Cabela's Edition in .264 Win Mag. Both are put together real nicely, and shoot pretty accurate out of the box. My .264 has only had 12 rounds shot through it and it's already put 2 antelope on the ground. I can get some pictures and put up here for you, but I really can't run out of good things to say about the new Model 70's. I also got one, just the cheap ultimate shadow model that I used for the action for my custom long range rifle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a couple new manufactured feather weights, a 30-06 and a 300 Win mag.  I also picked up an Alaskan in 300 Win mag.  Great rifles, good trigger, and great accuracy.  No experience with the extreme model.  

Depending on where you are hunting elk I'd lean more towards the featherweight.  The Alaskan is a little heavier and I start to notice the extra weight going up mountains.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two of the newwer FN built winchesters, one in 375 H&H and one in 416 Rem Mag, they are the Safari Express models. I am very pleased with the worksmanship and theyare surprisingly accurate. I would buy another in a heartbeat, but have not seen or used the model you are looking at.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned 2 of the EW's in 300WSM, still own 1, sold the other to a hunting partner.  Both had good triggers, great accuracy with both factory and hand loaded ammo.  Would buy again in other calibers as well.  Buy one, scope it and shoot it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a new M-70 Sporter in 300 Win Mag. I shot a 3 inch group at 200 yards this morning using 180gr Nosler Partitions. Shoots better than I do so I think it's a fine rifle.
The recoil pad works wells and makes it comfortable to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Also have a M70 Safari in 416 Rem Mag here, FN made.  I also have two New Haven M70 rifles in sporter models, to compare.  Fit and Finish seem to be pretty good on the new model, and a real good trigger out of the box.  I've only put 10 shots thru the 416 thus far, but seems to be well made. Safety is a little stiff, but hopefully it'll break in.  My last New Haven model, from circa 2001 had the worst trigger ever seen, and the action wasn't as well finished as an earlier model I own.  That one took a lot of breaking in of the action, and a trigger job to make it 100%
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one of the EW's a few months ago in 30.06.  I like the shorter barrell and the B&C stock.  Accuracy seems to be acceptable so far but I haven't started hand loading for it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Doubled on this...did not see see my earlier post.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a couple of the model 70 EW's in 308 Win. Both rifles are shooters. I am getting <1.00" groups with my hand loads with 150 gr. Barnes TTSX and Varget. Some people like the B&C stock. I did not. You can sell the stock and use the money to upgrade to a McMillan or Manners if that's what you like. There are lots of people buying the B&C stocks. It's just a Ford, Chevy thing as to stock preference. I used a McMillan Hunter with EDGE fill on one of mine and a standard Winchester plastic stock on the other. Lastly the MOA trigger can be adjusted down from the factory preset 4.5#. I chose to use an aftermarket spring and bought the Ernie Model 70 replacement spring for both of mine (cost ~$7 each).
Ernie Trigger spring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top