Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 11:43:16 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the right lace to post this, but I'm 20 years old living in WI and have hunted deer and turkey most of my life. Now that I'm older and more independent I'm trying to plan a hunting trip out west with some friends, don't know where though. I hunt with a .308 and hiking isn't a issue. Im asking for suggestions on wants enjoyable to hunt and where. Again I really have hunted turkey and deer (some duck) most my life and want to try something maybe a little different. thanks for any feedback.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
An inexpensive, relatively easy hunt that you can do on your own is Wyoming pronghorn antelope. Of course elk hunting is fun and we've always gone without a guide and have had plenty of success. You just need to do your homework.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Recently went to Utah for a mule deer hunt (Plateau, Boulder/Kaiparowits area).  It's beautiful country and there were pronghorn and elk sign all over.  I'd give a big +1 to Wyoming though - I've got a few points stacked up there and plan on doing just that in 2016.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea for sure I have been definitely been checking around for whats fun a popular to hunt. My grandfather has gone elk hunting a while back and it sounded fun so I will pry look into that more. Cost is a issue a bit as I am in college, but I already have most of the hunting gear I would pry need. Rather go hunting than to Florida for spring break...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
elk out west, but not in CO during OTC 2nd or 3rd season.  It's "crowded" and rate of success is pretty low 15% or so.  WY or MT probably has better elk hunts in CO unless you get a good unit in the draw here.  If you like hiking, wilderness, roadless areas and trudging up and down mountains you would probably love elk hunting.  It's not your stay still, sit in a tree stand hunt by any means.

You might like pronghorn as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Great I will look into both! really appreciate the feedback
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An inexpensive, relatively easy hunt that you can do on your own is Wyoming pronghorn antelope.
View Quote

THIS!
In 2007, my brother and I went, both took 2 antelope and our TOTAL costs were under $1000 each, and that included tags, airfare, rental, fuel, food, etc.

Things have gone up a bit, but still a relatively cheap, easy, high success hunt IF you do your homework.
WY's HMA program is GREAT!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Head west young man..... A colorado mule deer or Wyoming pronghorn is very doable. I was in your shoes not long ago. PM me if you need help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of eastern hunters don't have quality binoculars.  You will need them out west.  The $50 pair you found in the closet will not be fun after hours of glassing.  You should probably spend $250-300 plus.  You will likely spend hours looking through them, you want something that's clear and won't strain your eyes.  I recommend 8x40's.

I like Wyoming because of their preference point system.  You can buy points in the fall without having to apply for a tag.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I knew someone would up the money!  It's hard to convince someone that's never used them in that situation that they need better glass.  $300 sounds like a ton of money for a pair of binocs when you don't even own a pair.  I have Nikon Monarch ATB's.  I think they were around $300-$350.  I think they are pretty good, but I've never looked through Swarovski's.  I did look through one of the Leica rangefinders and...oh my.  
I have a Nikon Prostaff spotter.  It's a huge upgrade in capability over just binocs, but it also adds a lot more to your pack when you add on the necessary tripod.  I was able to recognize antlers on a mule deer when my buddy couldn't even see the deer with his binocs.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  Agreed, but I would up the money for glass at least a little. Also, a spotting scope is very handy to verify the quality of an animal before you stalk.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top