Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 10:06:40 AM EDT
Just got back from western Nebraska where I shot my first Antelope. We didn't see a huge amount of animals, but there definitely some quality ones out there. I missed two shots earlier in the morning (range finder wouldn't work in the early morning fog, I'll have to read up more on this) on animals that were much bigger than this one.

This goat measured right at 12". Like I said there were much bigger ones out there, but this one was unlucky enough to get in my cross hairs.

Rifle is a Winchester model 70, chambered in .270. I was shooting Winchester Supreme 130g Ballistic Silvertips when he gave me a standing broadside shot at around 240 yards. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12 X 50 BDC.

It's sad I have to wait 3 years to get another tag.....

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
nice
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Veddy nize... veddy nize...  

We might have been driving thru the area you were in... or at least within a couple hundred miles... on Friday.  

Kinda funny that when were on Antelope Island in UT, we saw a couple antelope, but WAY more bison.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
good looking speed goat.

clown
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice lope. I am jealous.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, just got my first a week ago in Colorado.
12" is respectable, doesn't seem to matter the species, the one out of range, or the one(s) that come around while you're handling your downed game are always bigger.
Everyone told me the meat would be sagey to the point of nearly inedible, but that sure hasn't proven the case.

ETA: pic
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice prairie goat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice, just got my first a week ago in Colorado.

12" is respectable, doesn't seem to matter the species, the one out of range, or the one(s) that come around while you're handling your downed game are always bigger.

Everyone told me the meat would be sagey to the point of nearly inedible, but that sure hasn't proven the case.
View Quote
Yeah, not the biggest i had shot at that day. There's always next time. One of my buddies gave me part of his speed goat from last year and I made summer sausage and some bulk sausage for chili. I mixed it with 40% pork and the wife was not a fan of the bulk sausage. I guess I'll stick to all summer sausage because the rug rats and I LOVE that stuff. Wife will just have to wait for the deer sausage.

Now a 3 year wait for my next rifle tag begins.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice goat. I love to hunt antelope and love to eat them as well. Probably my favorite wild game meat.

As far as size is concerned, I hunted a good unit in Wyoming this year and looked over at least 100 bucks and never saw a great one. Most were between 11 - 13" and pretty much all looked the same. I've read others (serious guides and pronghorn hunters) theories on horn growth and they think horn size is still being effected by the tough winter and drought the previous years even though this was a good wet year. They think next year will be much better depending on this winter.

This one just happened to be on public land in a stalk-able position.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top