Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2014 10:59:20 PM EDT
I had a doe antelope tag this year, and opening morning was Saturday.  My FIL got a yearling buck earlier in the morning, and we went back out.  At about 10:30, I could see the antelope finally moving off the hay field from about 2 miles out.  We drove through the ranch and got them coming off the hay into the sage lined out.  I got out while my FIL moved slowly on in the truck.  No cover, walking antelope and about a 250 yard shot.  I aimed at the base of the neck.  Bullet entered just behind the ribs on the right side, hit the major artery, clipped the liver and lungs and exited center chest (wound in pic). DRT dropped on the spot.  .30-06, 150 grain Speer Hot Cor, 57 Grains H 4350, 2840 FPS out of my Sears Model 53.  Cutting the meat up tomorrow, should be tasty!

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice speed goat OP!

Can't wait to fill my tag next month!

And congrats on the new one coming! (read your other post)
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I killed a nice buck last week, and got mine cut up and cooked some steaks. I was surprised at how good it is, since I had heard consistantly that antelope is not any good.
The meat is awesome and I think it is better than elk or deer, and mine came off of a rutty, old buck. A nice fat doe would be mighty tasty.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes antelope is my favorite. People think I am nuts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations! The Speer Hot-Core is a very good bullet.My wife and I have killed a lot of game with them.
The Sears M-53 is a real sleeper too.................
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a little mule deer buck with my muzzleloader on Friday morning. Will post a story and pics when I have more time.

And yes on the 53.  I want to find one in .243. I have seen one and the kids dad had loads so hot that it was blowing primers out. I don't think he realized what he had either. Basically an early post 64 Win model 70 that shoots anything fed to it.

And yes to the hot cors. Love those things and have quite a supply. May try them in m243 as well. SST bullets expanded a bit much for my liking but they did the job so I can't complain too much.  That was on my fil's antelope earlier in the day with a minimum of IMR 4895.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top