Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2014 1:29:07 AM EDT
It took 10 years to draw my first tag here in AZ and only one  day to fill it.

The hunt started yesterday.  On Thursday evening just before dark, I found a huge buck. I went after him on opening morning.  I glassed him up from about a half mile out and I snuck in to the area but could not find him. I lost track of him for about an hour, and then my brother glassed him up from about two miles out. We got into within a half mile of him, and I made a stalk on him.  The stalk consisted of a belly crawl through cactus and dirt to close the distance. It took 4 and a 1/2 hours to get to within 300 yards of him. He was rutting hard and was surrounded by does. He chased off a little buck, but I stuck with the does. After a little while he trotted back in. The does started to feed toward me and the buck followed them. At 186 yards, I shot and down he went.

He green scored 88 2/8 with 2 inches of deductions for a net score of 86 2/8. Not to bad for my first goat. Cooked some steaks up tonight from him and they were phenomenal.  All in all, a great hunt.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Nicely done!  How about specs. New/traditional rifle? Powder charge? Bullet? Cap. Data man, data!! inquiring minds want to know!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Whoa!  Great buck!  I thought mine was great, but this is a monster!  Nice read and pictures too!  My muzzleloader buck is posted in the big game forum too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap.  Nice buck!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whoa!  Great buck!  I thought mine was great, but this is a monster!  Nice read and pictures too!  My muzzleloader buck is posted in the big game forum too.
View Quote

I just read your story.  Very cool and an awesome buck. I love New Mexico. Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nicely done!  How about specs. New/traditional rifle? Powder charge? Bullet? Cap. Data man, data!! inquiring minds want to know!!
View Quote

My muzzleloader is definitely not a traditional cap and ball. With antelope in AZ it is a lengthy process to get a tag. It took me 10 years to get this tag. I put in for the muzzleloader hunt because it is a slightly easier draw than rifle so I was not in it for the traditional muzzleloader experience. I use a modern muzzleloader because antelope have exceptional eye sight and just getting into that 200 yard range on one can be tricky.

I was shooting a Winchester Apex (made be CVA) with 100 grains of black Hills 209 pushing a 250 grain Hornady SST. I was very comfortable out to 200 with it, and if I had to could shoot out to 300, but at that range with a heavy slow moving bullet a lot could go wrong. I was surprised that my buck went as far as he did after the shot. I hit right where I was aiming and double lunged him, but even with no lungs after being hit with a 250 grain slug he still made it over a 100 yards. The bullet completely passed through (I wish I could have recovered it. Oh well) All in all, I guess when practice, planning, opportunity, and a little bit of luck come together, it equals success.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#6]
What a toad! Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucker has mass and length!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's an absolutely perfect antelope buck.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy smokes what a buck!!!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy sh#t!  

Nice goat !  

Damn can't wait to go antelope hunting here in a few weeks

congrats!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a monster goat!

I've been wanting to do a muzzleloader antelope hunt for a few years now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy smokes what a buck!!!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:24:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I had him officially scored. He scored 89 and 7/8 in. SCI which will put him at #3 in the world for muzzleloader and #42 overall. I am pretty happy

Here is a picture that a guide (Craig Steele @ orghunt.com) sent me of my buck while he was still vertical. He had been watching him for a few years but tags are pretty limited in that area  (2 muzzleloader tags and 2 archery tags per year) so he nor his clients never had a chance at him.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
What an incredible buck, those mass measurements had to be ridiculous. Congrats are in order.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Simply incredible - That's easily the largest goat I've ever seen!  

Congratulations!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, I had him officially scored. He scored 89 and 7/8 in. SCI which will put him at #3 in the world for muzzleloader and #42 overall. I am pretty happy
View Quote

Wow !!!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top