Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 8:45:43 PM EDT
I am going to get a nice lightweight rifle in the next year or so and am considering getting one in 300 WSM.  How is this caliber for hunting?  I used to own a rifle in 300 WM and just wondering about this cartridge. I reload if that helps. I had been considering a Sako Finlight but may look at the Vangaurd after another thread I read earlier. That and maybe a Zeiss 3-9x??  Suggestion? Comments?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The 300WSM will do anything you want it to do on North American game.

To make full use of its case capacity, use heavy (180gr) or heavier bullets.

I prefer Barnes X bullets for all my big game hunting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Is elk the largest game you plan on hunting? What ranges do you typically hunt at? Im shifting from 30 cal over to 6.5 personally, even as I head from the east coast to the PNW. Thinking about getting a 300 WSM M70 or SPR and converting it to 6.5 SAUM 4S.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I took an elk last fall w my 300 wsm single shot did wonders.  Plenty of rifle and it's a good round to load too
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I hunt with a Sako 300 win mag (amazing rifle) & by bro just changed to a 300 WSM  and took a nice 6x7 last season in Colorado. I think you're good to go with the 300 WSM

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I really like the Nosler Bullets but may also try the Barnes bullets with this one. I plan on using this on game bigger than deer, mainly elk. Planning on doing an elk hunt with my son and friend fall 2015. I would like to get good enough with it out to 400 yards but will know my limit with it before I go.  I have other rifles for deer.

I've been intrigued with this round for years and bought some reloading components for it about a month ago. I really want to make this a lightweight rifle. I know it will suck sighting it in and practicing with it, but I will really appreciate it when hunting the mountains of NM and CO
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
go for it, best of luck I'll be in Colorado last gun hunt in Nov.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The WSM is ballistically similar to the 300 Win Mag.  It will perform pretty much the same.  You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
It's just a tad slower than my .300 H&H and I can tell you that 200grn Partitions in that work like all hell on elk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top