Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05:05 AM EDT
My brother and I have Colo 1 st rifle elk tags.  Anyone have any info for that area?   Any suggestions on where to start scouting.  The area will be new to us.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What Units?

The terrain and elk habits vary significantly across Co.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What Units?

The terrain and elk habits vary significantly across Co.
View Quote

need more info, but forecast says sunny and nice with a good chance of ass deep snow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Oops. Sorry I thought I had added the unit.  It's unit 67.  Thanks. B
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
For 1st rifle, I'd be starting in the south end of that unit, in the NF.  The farther north you move, the lower the elevation, and the more private land.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a BLM map too and figure out what's around.  Some BLM land is in prime locations and is not marked nearly as clear as the NF land.  

I have no idea where that unit even is but I will be in unit 4 with a muzzlelloader.  9000+ ft up
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Colorado DOW puts out a hunting atlas, where you can select views for the winter ranges, winter concentrations, and migration paths of different game animals layered over GMU, and public access maps: Colorado Hunting Atlas
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill be in 67 for second rifle, I hunted there last year too.  Great unit all in all.  If you are up for the hike the wildlife area that vehicles are restricted from entering is GREAT hunting.  We ran across several moose and a lot of cows.  In general as with any unit, get off your 4wheeler or out of your car and beat feet.

We generally hit at least 50miles on foot each season.  The more you walk the more you will see.  As with the more time you spend out the more you will see.  Not many people clear tags from camp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top