Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 5:17:57 PM EDT
Hey guys, I need some help picking a scope for my Winchester Mod 70 Sporter 30-06.

I have run a 3-9x40 Tasco(one of there more spendy models, I think it was Japanese) and a Swift 4-12x40 AO.

I put the Tasco on a 22 Magnum and the Swift on my 10/22. I want to spend about $300-$350 on a scope and I am just kinda lost.

I will be hunting in Eastern Oregon, 400 yard shots definitely a possibility. I would like something with a 50mm objective for a wider FOV.

Not sure if I should be looking at a VariX I or a Nikon Monarch, or what my best option is. Any pointers?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
luepold, Burris, Nikon are all good glass in that price range. If you want a wider FOV then use your binocs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Sightron scopes over the Luepold. They are great scopes for less money.

I've shot at 500 with a 3x9 but would much rather have a 4-16 past 400.

Here at SWFA.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Riflescope-P9179.aspx

This one piques my interest
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
cameralandny  demo/samples page, I bought a vortex viper 6.5-20 x 44 on my 280 rem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Riflescope-P9179.aspx

This one piques my interest
View Quote

I have that same scope with a MD recital. It has sat on a hard kicking 7mm Rem Mag for five hundred rounds, and is now got a few thousand rounds of 5.56 clocked as well. It's 13 years old now and still tracks and shoots strait. Great glass for the money. I've got VX-3 scopes that I don't like as much as the Sightron SII.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO a 3x9 is plenty for elk, my favorite elk rifles wear 2x  or 1x4 and my bolt guns run 3x9.  Last elk was taken @ 175 yds with a 308 AR, 1x4 scope.  They are pretty big animals, and I don't usually shoot over 400 yds.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
cameralandny  demo/samples page, I bought a vortex viper 6.5-20 x 44 on my 280 rem.
View Quote

I've been looking to buy a new scope, that link has some great deals. Did you get one of the "damaged box" ones?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the best Leupold or Vortex you can afford.

Better glass and or reticle is more important than magnification.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been looking to buy a new scope, that link has some great deals. Did you get one of the "damaged box" ones?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did order the "damaged box" and literally it was just where tape was removed from the box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did order the "damaged box" and literally it was just where tape was removed from the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, looks like I know where I'm getting my scope. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Sightron, they are fantastic scopes.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
My 300wm wears a nikon 2.5x10 BDC.

My 45-70 has XS iron sights. Might put a 1-4 on it.

The only reason I'm considering changing the scope on my 300wm is due to using it for targets. Which would be a vortex viper HS-T 4-16.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 is a great hunting scope. 400 yards sure isn't out of range with that scope.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I have two of these. Excellent for the price point. Good to deal with Doug at Cameraland as well
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#16]
check out the sample list (swfa).

I am a big fan of Burris scopes, but really, most scopes for $300 will be decent. You really do get what you pay for, as long as you stick with the well-known brands, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, etc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#17]
When I built a rifle specifically for hunting elk, I without hesitation mounted a 4X scope, a Burris. The last bull I shot was a hair under 360 yards and it never entered my mind that I needed more magnification. Less than an hour prior to shooting that bull I had watched two other bulls, o e a very large fellow, at a little over 500 yds. and again the 4X would have been plenty had I desired to shoot one at that distance.   Remember  a mature bull is about the size of a Harley Davidson so it doesn't take lots of magnification to see them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Zeiss Terra or Conquest 3-9X40.

You can find them on sale all the time for $399.
View Quote

Yep.

Zeiss Terra for sure.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
my 30-06 weatherby has a 3x9 leupold.  Can't go wrong with any leupold scopes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am a big fan of Burris scopes, but really, most scopes for $300 will be decent. You really do get what you pay for, as long as you stick with the well-known brands, Leupold, Burris, Nikon, etc.
View Quote

I really like the Bushnell Elite series too.......
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.

Zeiss Terra for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zeiss Terra or Conquest 3-9X40.

You can find them on sale all the time for $399.

Yep.

Zeiss Terra for sure.

Been very unimpressed with the Terra's glass quality, they are not Conquest's.  Light transmission is less than a Leupold VX-2 and only slightly better than the VX-1, they don't come close to the VX-3 which is what they were suppose to compete with.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I have two of these. For the price, it is a smoking deal. I have one of the 4-16 HS-T as well, and really like that scope.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own several elite scopes and they are great but due to their horrible customer service and unwillingness to stand behind their lifetime warranty I will preach bushnell hate till my last breath.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Leupold scopes have some with the bullet drop compensator that can be customized to your rifle and load. I am not a big fan of long range shooting for elk, but there have been situations where a shot out to 500 yards, with a good rest, might have been doable with one of those scopes, and the price is not too bad if you watch for a sale. Without the bullet drop compensator, I feel confident out to about 325 yards, if I  have a good stump or other suitable rest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Leupold scopes have some with the bullet drop compensator that can be customized to your rifle and load. I am not a big fan of long range shooting for elk, but there have been situations where a shot out to 500 yards, with a good rest, might have been doable with one of those scopes, and the price is not too bad if you watch for a sale. Without the bullet drop compensator, I feel confident out to about 325 yards, if I  have a good stump or other suitable rest.
View Quote

I don't trust BDC type guns unless you send the specific load data to the scope company and they customize the scope for you.  A general BDC is not a good thing, especially when shooting long range.  The variables are far too great.

Get a good scope, I prefer Vortex FFP scopes, with a MOA or Mil Dot reticle.  Shoot it at different ranges, always with the cross hairs on the bull's eye.  At long ranges you will need a tall target stand with lots of butcher paper below your target.  Write down your findings from the long range shooting.  Use that as your hold over.

Shoot the gun at the same ranges using the holdover to make sure you have it.  

Over time you can get all the goodies that go with long range shooting.  Some are must have, others are optional.  Nothing replaces range time and practice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top