Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2014 5:18:36 PM EDT
I am not sure if alligators qualify for big game but this appeared to be the forum that matched the closest.

I am interested in hunting alligators next fall and am looking for some suggestions/input.  This would be something new for me, I have mainly hunted small game and deer in the past.  Originally I was looking at Florida but it looks like other states have some good options too.

I would be looking at a guided hunt since I don't know anyone in the area and I have not hunted alligators before.  Bow hunting isn't my deal and I would kind of like to get one with my 10mm.

Any suggestions on where to start?  I realize that I am probably too late for the states with a lottery for public land, but I see that some allow for hunting on private property.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am not sure if alligators qualify for big game but this appeared to be the forum that matched the closest.

I am interested in hunting alligators next fall and am looking for some suggestions/input.  This would be something new for me, I have mainly hunted small game and deer in the past.  Originally I was looking at Florida but it looks like other states have some good options too.

I would be looking at a guided hunt since I don't know anyone in the area and I have not hunted alligators before.  Bow hunting isn't my deal and I would kind of like to get one with my 10mm.

Any suggestions on where to start?  I realize that I am probably too late for the states with a lottery for public land, but I see that some allow for hunting on private property.
View Quote

Kyle Harth from TNVC (TNVC_Kyle) is really big in Alligator hunting, I know he usually takes his with a bow but occasionally a 22lr pistol. He knows more about gator hunting in FL than anybody I know of.
There are several places that do guided gator hunts here in FL and they are by no means endangered any longer so c'mon down and schwack one or two.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Florida is your best bet. There are a lot of guides in central Florida around Lake Okeechobee. The guide should be able to provide the specialized equipment and tags.  Most guides hunt off boats but a few use swamp buggies.

I believe Mississippi's gator season is residents only. I'm not sure about Texas or Louisiana.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've hunted GA and SC a few times, first time guided, rest DIY.
BIG fun!

GA app deadline was last Thursday, SC in June, so start applying next year.
Usually takes 3-4 years to pull a tag, but with pref pt system you can just about plan around it.

FL tag is $$$ but used to be able to work around it for $50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top