Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 4:33:49 PM EDT
I was coming down off a mountain on the four wheeler today and I noticed an antelope out of the corner of my eye. It was about 80 yards to my right running full boar. I was already ahead of it when I noticed it so if I spooked it and it was running away from me why would it need to pass me to get away? He blew by me and when it was about 200 yards ahead he crossed the trail and continued off through the sagebrush. I have noticed similar behavior many times. I have had them several hundred yards ahead running perpendicular to the road only to cross just yards in front of the hood of the pickup. Another time I was able to walk right up to within a few dozed yards of one and it seemed to pay me no mind. A friend that was with me got a picture of it. Can anyone that knows more about speed goats than I do explain this behavior?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Antelope aren't very bright.

They feel like they have to outrun everything( just a guess)
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good guess to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Their strangest behavior (to me) is how they slide under a fence rather than just jumping it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We had one down getting it cleaned out.  As we were paying attention to the task at hand, another walks up on us I bet it wasn't 10 yards away.  As soon as one of the other guys saw it and moved to grab his gun it was gone I don't think he even got off a shot.  I love to the hunt the goofy things but they are not a smart animal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw maybe 50 or 60 run into a fence one time. They started spreading out like water behind a dam before some started crawling through the wires. The reason they are not extinct isn't due to their brains. It has to be their speed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
They seem to always cross in front of the truck no matter how fast we are going.

Someone once told me that they could not jump a fence, that they were not tall enough and did not have the range of motion to get their front legs up high enough.

They also seem very nosy, and that is what gets them killed a lot of the time.

The fastest land animal in North America is the pronghorn at 70mph!
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top