Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2014 2:21:24 PM EDT
I haven't bought a scope in 25 years (if it aint broke, don't fix it.)

My son is buying a new Savage 30/06 and needs a scope and rings in the lower price ranges.  I'm thinking a 2-7 or a 3-9.

Any favorites?
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are appropriate power ranges. But like you I haven't bought a scope for my .30-06 in nearly 35 yrs. I'm still using my ancient Bushnell Scope Chief lV, in 3x9.

Leupold VariX ll and lll are the good old standbys but Nikon makes good scopes and as you say there's a host of other decent scopes nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nikon will fill the bill for inexpensive and reliable. I wouldn't go cheaper
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
vx-II and vx-lll will put you in the mid to high $3xx. Nikon buckmaster you'll be around $250 +/-, never used the prostaff line which is cheaper. I picked up a redfield a few months, and couldn't be happier. Especially since they're under $200
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are appropriate power ranges. But like you I haven't bought a scope for my .30-06 in nearly 35 yrs. I'm still using my ancient Bushnell Scope Chief lV, in 3x9.

Leupold VariX ll and lll are the good old standbys but Nikon makes good scopes and as you say there's a host of other decent scopes nowadays.
View Quote

I've said this many times.......hard to beat a good 3X9 for MOST applications.

The ScopeChief IV is still a very good scope.........
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
3-9x Redfield Revoluion for an inexpensive scope. $200
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is. I love this scope. It's been moved to 3 or 4 different .30-06 rifles thru the years but has always been kept and moved to the next one. I think the current combo will be with me a long time, a synthetic stocked Weatherby Vanguard. I'm really liking this rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes it is. I love this scope. It's been moved to 3 or 4 different .30-06 rifles thru the years but has always been kept and moved to the next one. I think the current combo will be with me a long time, a synthetic stocked Weatherby Vanguard. I'm really liking this rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the scope with the little lever on the side that flips up the heavy post over the bottom half of the vertical crosshair?  I think they called it the Command Post Reticle.
Pretty cool little feature; I wonder why it didn't seem to catch on?
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that the scope with the little lever on the side that flips up the heavy post over the bottom half of the vertical crosshair?  I think they called it the Command Post Reticle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with that. Once-upon-a-time Bushnell was a high quality line of scopes. With the ScopeChief lV being their flagship model. But by the 90s they were sold and became a shadow of their former selves.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with that. Once-upon-a-time Bushnell was a high quality line of scopes. With the ScopeChief lV being their flagship model. But by the 90s they were sold and became a shadow of their former selves.
View Quote

A friend of mine had an older Bushnell (actually probably a Bausch and Lomb before Bushnell acquired that concern) ScopeChief on an engraved  Belgian Browning Safari-grade bolt rifle in 7mm Remington Magnum.
It had the aforementioned CommandPost reticle and was apparently overall an excellent piece of glass.
Probably 60's vintage???? Just a SWAG.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The best value IMO is to watch the EE for Leupold VXII 3-9X40. Great scope, lifetime warranty. Expect to pay $200 shipped for one in good condition. EBay can provide the same deals but, well, its eBay.

For new the Nikon Prostaff is making me and others real happy for $200. 4-12X40 specifically. That same scope in 3-9 can be had used for $75-$100 on the EE.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My Dad just gave me his rarely shot Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 and I've been researching the scope issue.  It seems that the best bang for the buck is the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40.  Optics Planet has them for $285 - $350, depending on the finish and duplex type you want.  Right now, Optics Planet has a 10% off coupon advertised on their site.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Midway just had a sale on the Weaver Grand slam in 4-14.  I bought one and got it for $220, including shipping and all.  The sale is over now -- for now -- but keep watching and you should find a good one for a lot less than you think.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719632/weaver-grand-slam-rifle-scope-45-14x-40mm-adjustable-objective-ballistic-x-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Oh, almost forgot -- what scope for an '06?  My favorite, although hard to find now and quite pricey, is a 1950's Weaver K-6.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top