Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
16"  supersonic 300blk
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I just ran a ballistic calculator and saw that a 110gr 300BLK round matches a 16" 75gr round -- so I think I am sold on the 300BLK. I will later build a 5.56 upper with an A1 receiver -- I just like the way those look.

The only downside is I don't reload, but I don't imagine shooting this all that much. Just enough for dialing it in and hunting -- I have other plinking guns.
View Quote

So the velocity at 8" of 300 blk is the same as 223 at 16"?

This is relevant to my interests as well if the SBR bill gets through the house. I have been using a 16" with SSA 70gr TSX for the last two seasons. Unfortunatly I am on a hell of a dry streak with respect to harvesting animals. So I have no real world practical results to share.

I would like to build a 300blk SBR and I would like to know at what length I will get reliable velocity for expansion.
View Quote

No. The ft/lb of energy is probably the same, but not the muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think the 223/5.56 is a great deer round if used within reason especially with all the newer bullets available today.
View Quote

Barnes TSX is a great bullet.  Just have to make sure you pick the right weight so you can keep velocity high to open it up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
OP here. Thanks for all of the input. I will go with the 10.5" 300BLK and use supersonic rounds for hunting. For multiple reasons I want to build a 300BLK SBR (or at least a pistol with the SIG arm brace) and it would be great to use it for hunting, too. Thanks for posting the pic -- good aspirational build.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 300 Blackout gets my vote. But you really gotta feed it super sonic if you want to kill anything. The subs are not very effective, especially at distance.
View Quote

But you don't have any barrels for sale?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
So much in this thread that in reality means nothing.  "better" is subjective.  By any other measure then we need a 20mm Vulcan to hunt Florida white tail.

Spout of numbers all you want, velocity, energy, what ever.  I have found in most cases these numbers are academic any ways.

Take a 5.56, with a good hunting bullet, and then a 6.5, a 6.8 a 300 blk and a 7.62x39 of equivalent weight and put them in the hands of 95% of shooters and or hunters and they won't be taking a  shot past 100yds anyways.  And frankly won't be able to tell much difference when they shoot any of them. Energy and velocity mean crap if you cannot put your shot where it needs to go.  And the deer won't know or care if you miss.

I was told I need 900ft lbs of energy to kill a North Carolina White tail.  Well I proved that was crap, And a number pulled out of some guys butt, that thinks he has to justify his 300 weatherby magnum to shoot deer at 50 yds.

the 300 blk is a very effective hunting round. Keep it within the individual hunters skills and it will do the Job

If you hunt thick woods like I do a subsonic 300 blk will do the job just fine.  10 deer in my freezer have proven that.  Using both expanding and non-expanding rounds.

For the guy that said you cannot shoot light weight subs safely.  I have about 2 dozen squirrel and rabbit that would completely disagree with you. Now you cannot shoot them and make an AR15 function, but they are great in a bolt gun or in a single shot.  I would not use the lightweight subs for a deer, unless I knew I was going to take a neck shot.

I will go ahead and state that when one of you claim a long shot on a deer, I automatically deduct at least 40% from your distance claimed, nothing personal, but I have been around to many guys who cannot estimate distance and who cannot correctly use a laser range finder.  crud if anything I underestimate my shot distance and over estimate the distance the deer travels before it hits the ground.

to the OP, either will do the job you want it to.  Frankly so will a lot of other rounds that were mentioned.  Pick the one you want and learn it, shoot it and know what your hunting bullet is going to do.

the fact is you do not need a 300 super duper magnum going mach 4, dislocating your shoulder, blowing out your ear drums, being heard 2 counties over, turning 1/4 of the deer into a fine red mist, just to take a shot a 50 yds, so you can say he was DRT.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 300 Blackout gets my vote. But you really gotta feed it super sonic if you want to kill anything. The subs are not very effective, especially at distance.
View Quote

Respectfully, there "were" two black bucks living just outside of Junction, Texas last year that would disagree. 220 gr Remington Subs used on both. One at 68 meters, the other at 101 meters. Neither one of them took more than 5 steps before falling over. Neither bullet exited but their lungs were liquefied.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Respectfully, there "were" two black bucks living just outside of Junction, Texas last year that would disagree. 220 gr Remington Subs used on both. One at 68 meters, the other at 101 meters. Neither one of them took more than 5 steps before falling over. Neither bullet exited but their lungs were liquefied.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No no no. It just wont work.  ARFCOM ballistics experts keep telling me that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP here. Thanks for all of the input. I will go with the 10.5" 300BLK and use supersonic rounds for hunting. For multiple reasons I want to build a 300BLK SBR (or at least a pistol with the SIG arm brace) and it would be great to use it for hunting, too. Thanks for posting the pic -- good aspirational build.
View Quote

As another idea I bought the 9" AAC 300BLK upper and really, really like it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas deer falls under the varmint category, slightly bigger than a fat coyote up by us

Not really surprising, that round has more retained energy down range than a 357mag, and those have no issues killing deer out to 100yds from a pistol.  I don't think anyone here is arguing its effectiveness on deer, but some people claim it to be something it isn't.  A "great" super sonic 30cal caliber.

Quoted:
I was told I need 900ft lbs of energy to kill a North Carolina White tail.  Well I proved that was crap, And a number pulled out of some guys butt, that thinks he has to justify his 300 weatherby magnum to shoot deer at 50 yds.

Was that him BSing around, or do you guys actually have that kind of rule in the regs?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Mike.

Over the years i have had hunters in person and on hunting forums that you need 700 to 1000 plus ft lbs of energy to ethically harvest deer. And. They were serious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Either round will kill a deer if you hit them.  Therefore, hitting the damn thing in the first place from 0-200 yds is the #1 priority.  

Real difference is the amount of drop considering a 300BLK will be much slower and therefore have an 8" drop at 200 yds.  That will have to be compensated for.   .223 is essentially flat out to 200 yds.

But in all seriousness, everyone has a 16" in .223.  Be different and go the SBR route.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a 8" MAS Defense 300BLK barrel and a pistol buffer tube. It is on!
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:The 5.56 bullet has a better BC
View Quote

I don't feel like you've done much research. At all, that is.

.308 110vmax BC is .290
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-110-gr-V-MAX/

The .224 60gr vmax (hornady doesn't have a 62gr as you've exampled) is .265
http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Cal-.224-60-gr-V-MAX/

You go up to a 125SST in the .308 and BC climbs even higher to .305, if you're going to have a debate at least research some of the options before you spout it all off as fact. You ladies and your tit for tat crap with calibers are always fun to spin up. You've so far used incorrect velocities, incorrect BC, and an obvious caliber bias to entirely derail OP's thread.

To the OP: I have both an 8.5" .300BO, I use 125SST's and 18.5gr of 4100 powder. It's lights out  all day long and would take it hunting 90% of the time on a spot and stalk hunt due to its minimal size and heft. Plenty of energy available, and roughly similar performance to a 30-30 rifle. 30-30's have killed elk for years, a good shot will put down most things with the blackout.

I also have an 18" 6.5 Grendel. 27.5gr of H335 behind a 123gr SST. Favorite gun/round of mine personally. It carries like a 5.56 gun (something an AR10 will not do) and has similar energy to a .308 after 500 yards. Mine often goes 1000 yards, accurately and I've had no problems with the gun. Love it to death.

I also have a 5.56 gun and think its lethargic and is under gunned for most of the things I do with firearms. I see others using theirs to great results, I choose not to because I have lots of other options. Buy the one you like, want to pay to feed, and will shoot often enough to become proficient with. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#15]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Texas deer falls under the varmint category, slightly bigger than a fat coyote up by us
View Quote

A Blackbuck is an antelope, not a deer.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top