Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2013 10:37:08 PM EDT

Here's mine

Basically I had woken up from a nap on the side of the hill where we were all sitting and out of the corner of my eye I caught movement. I saw these two trotting across the open space in front of me so I grabbed my rifle and ranged them. They were at 180 yards. I was shooting off hand and missed the broad side shot on the cow. At this point they started to change direction and move directly away from me. This is how I got the calf. Basically when I lined up on the rear end of the cow for my second shot and fired the calf caught the bullet to the head and instantly went down. There is a lot of blood on the side you can see but that's just what leaked over all the trauma is on the other side. So we then took the next six hours dragging the two elk out to the road. I think that I should get at least 50 pound of very tender meat out of this one. I didn't intend to hit the baby again but it happens some times.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Just got in at about 7 this morning, 26 hours straight from CO to GA

Anyway, went with a group of seven guys and hunted areas 3/301 for third rifle season.  Between us we had seven cow tags, five bulls, and two bucks.  Ended up with three 5x5s and a small 4x4 buck.

My grandfather shot at this 5x5 from about 200 yards...he didn't have a steady hold and ended up shooting it through the front right leg...I followed blood for close to seven miles, and as I broke through some junipers he was laying about 10 yards in front of me looking straight at me.  I put a 7mm mag through his neck and he died almost instantly.  My first elk on my first trip, was super excited.  Upon inspection, there was no bone connected in the shot leg...only held together by meat, and he ran close to seven miles clearing several fences along the way...amazing.

All the guys who killed...my buddy in the middle has been going on this trip for 14 years and that's his first elk, made me even more thankful to shoot one my first time out.

Heads on the trailer before we headed home to butcher

Already planning next year's trip!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pictures and great animals.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Shot this little one on September 17th in northern New Mexico.  Shot was quartering away at 45 yards.  Arrow buried in the off shoulder blade after passing thru both lungs.  Ran 75 yards and dropped.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding guys keep them coming!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Got this one opening day of rifle. Here he is prepped to euro mount

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet skull goose master. where in MT are you located?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Opening day rifle
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Helena
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
what i wanna know is how the hell do you carry all that meat out? its gotta be heavy as fuck!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what i wanna know is how the hell do you carry all that meat out? its gotta be heavy as fuck!!
View Quote

Bone it out no need to carry what you cant eat.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Helena
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helena

Nice Im in GF but I got mine near Helena this year on opener
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nice Im in GF but I got mine in clancey this year on opener
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helena

Congrats guys. I spent 5 days humping the Wise River area last week and jackshit is all the three of us came up with.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have some blurry zoomed in digital pics of a bull that was over a mile away, on the wrong side of the state line.  His little harem of cows were all the cows we saw, and of course, my 17yo daughter and I had cow tags.  Several bulls were on our side of the border, but that did us no good.  We had a blast.  I really wanted to get her a shot at something before she starts college next year, but at least she got out and saw elk and had a good time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

We use a winch to pull them across the hood of a Jeep like so...

Then when we get back to camp use the same winch to hang them from a tree like so, where they get skinned...

Then quarter them from there, and they ride home in game bags in a stand-up freezer laid across the trailer, which can be seen in the background of this pic...

Then they get butchered in a guy's garage and end up looking like this!

And one more of elk because I'm still bragging to everyone I can about the awesome trip
Link Posted: 11/26/2013 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Congrats guys. I spent 5 days humping the Wise River area last week and jackshit is all the three of us came up with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helena

Hey man this was my third year elk hunting and the first time I ever had elk anywhere in sight. Elk hunting is a giant PITA until you get back to the truck and its really for massochists but once you kill something it makes you want to come back for more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hey man this was my third year elk hunting and the first time I ever had elk anywhere in sight. Elk hunting is a giant PITA until you get back to the truck and its really for massochists but once you kill something it makes you want to come back for more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helena

Yeah, all that matters is we had a great time. Ain't nothin wrong with hunting camp. Saw some beautiful country and had great company. Don't think I'll make it out again to give it another shot at filling my tag this year, but there's always next year!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Late to the party but that's what happens when you wait until late in the season. My son & I hunted area 102 near La Barge WY.    He lives in Rock Springs and in quite familiar with the area.

Saturday December 8th 'Bout mid afternoon the snow let off & visibility got better. As Doug glassed a saddle he said "Dad there some right there!" They were about 2 miles away & I reached for my rifle & pack. Doug said "uh, we're going to drive around to the road on the other side of the valley" as he fire up the truck.

With the snow, it took about 30 minutes to get as far as we dare take the truck. We unloaded the 4 wheeler & went until it got stuck. Then it was hoof it time. We walked a side hill to get with 500yds but figured we could use cover to make a better shot.

We closed to within 350yds & found a suitable lump to sit against. 4 of them broke from cover and paused in an opening. I picked what looked like a mid sized cow & settled on the bipod for my shot. Doug was ready for the follow up. I squeezed as the 300yd tick mark centered on the shoulder. She crumpled up and went down. Spine shot, she was immobilized but thrashing a bit. I didn't have a second shot as all I could see was butt.

Just then another cow broke cover & I told Doug to try a shot. Seconds later he fired & spine shot his too. Down she went in a heap. His shot just a fuzz over 300yds.

Now the work was going to start. Doug walked down while I spotted. I heard the coup de gras on his then I started down toward mine. A minute later Doug finished mine.

By now it was nearly 4pm & we had two to quarter. I'm here to tell ya, Doug is wicked fast with one of those surgeon knives. We got all the meat put in one place just as dark was coming. We had about a 1/2 mile walk back to the 4 wheeler...up a steep hill.  I carried both rifles while Doug pocketed the inner loins and draped all four back loins over his neck and shoulders.

We headed into the back country on Sunday to retrieve the other 8 quarters with 400' of rope and a couple sleds. Turns out both cows were not medium sized. Both a fully mature and probably 600lbs or more on the hoof. Just the back straps are 50lbs in the sack.

Doug's cow where she dropped.  Hit with a 280 Remington.

Mine thrashed and skidded it's way down hill about 10yds. I was using my 300 Win mag Remington 700.

This is the main of Doug's.  I swear it looks like could be the hair cut I delivered when I missed last month.  Maybe.  We were only across a mountain & 20 miles away.  We were hunting the wintering grounds of several herds.  I suppose it's possible.

Doug doing what he's really really good at.

Back straps, 3 feet long and 6 inches through.

As we readied to shoot we were focused on our targets.  We did not know there were two other hunters on the other side of the valley up hill & to our left a ways.  One guy was watching my cow with his binoculars & wondered how they could move in for a shot.  He saw it fall and wondered "what happened?" as she dropped.  A second or so later he heard the shot.  Those two guys fired 7-10 times as there were Elk moving everywhere.  They missed everything they shot at. All in all we got into a herd of about 30 to 40 head.

Seems a little frivolous stopping to take a pic or two while carrying a heavy load.  Just a reminder of all the fun we had.

Weather conditions Sunday morning were a bit nasty with the temperature at -5° and winds blowing a steady 20mph.  At least we wouldn't be sweating much.

Doug with his first load.  Rear quarter weighing a bit over 90lbs.  We started over near that big pine tree off to the right of his shoulder about 400yds down the slope.

I got the "easier" load with a front quarter & some grind meat.  Probably around 60lbs. On subsequent loads I carried them lower on the frame so I wouldn't tip over so easily. The sled is about 200yds farther toward the base of the hill just beyond me.

Last trip.  Last two quarters to go to the sled.  It took about 7hrs to get everything hauled & loaded on the truck.

As we rode out toward the main road, we discussed the location where we killed the Elk.  This is the third year Doug has pack 'em out of that little valley.  Each time he's asked himself "do I really want to do this again."

I'll tell ya, it feels way better with everything on the truck.  Way better than it did 10 minutes after those cows went down.:D

All the meat processing is done.  Even my wife helped out although she said some of it "is kinda gross"

We got a pretty good yield. 48pts, 7qts, 73 2lb pks of burger, 22pks back straps, 27pks of steaks & 12 roasts. Not sure on the total weight but I know we have plenty to feed us for a year.  Oh, I made Carmel Apple Corn bread cake for dessert too.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Southhoof, great pics man!  I'm going elk in January here in colorado and can't wait. I'm sure there will be a ton of snow !
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#24]
SouthHoof,
awesome hunt.  I never would of guessed by the pics. that you and your son are related
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally made time to finish up the European mount on my first bull...I'm very pleased for my first attempt.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
AZ Late Archery Bull Hunt

We didn't see the 7x7 that was spotted during scouting time. Guessing someone pulled him out on the opening weekend of the hunt (Which I missed cause of School and Work). But I am greatful for the beautiful animal I did get

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
AZ Late Archery Bull Hunt

<a href="http://s180.photobucket.com/user/jerede/media/P1020745_zps7bc99266.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/P1020745_zps7bc99266.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s180.photobucket.com/user/jerede/media/P1020752_zps08d24007.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/P1020752_zps08d24007.jpg</a>

We didn't see the 7x7 that was spotted during scouting time. Guessing someone pulled him out on the opening weekend of the hunt (Which I missed cause of School and Work). But I am greatful for the beautiful animal I did get

View Quote

An archery bull elk is nothing to scoff at...congrats!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Got a family cabin up in that area. It used to be really good elk hunting 20 years ago.  I now hunt more in Central MT. Less wolves.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Mine from near Greybull, WY. My first elk.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's mine!

Trail camera pic

Dead elk

Not too bad of a pack out, approx 600 yards through a stand of Thinner and Prunned White Pine, thankfully my buddy Tyler was there to help

And of course the back of the truck shot

He's a 5x6 that scores 265 inches, not huge, but my biggest to date so I'm happy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top