Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 4:57:19 PM EDT
I have found and eaten about 5 pounds of chanterelles this week. I, along with my family are about burn out on them. What is the best way to preserve them for later. I've read drying them isn't the best.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't tried drying chanterelles but I dry shitakes and morels and they rehydrate fine. I don't try to fry them after they've been dried  but we use them in soups and casseroles. We don't use a dehydrator but simply spread them out in a warm, dry well ventilated place (usually the kitchen counter) for a day or so and this is in humid central Mo.
Several years ago a friend had thousands of chanterelles in his woods but by the time he called me most of them were getting woody... I need to call him tomorrow as his woods may be full of them with all of the rain we've been receiving lately.
If he has them I'll know pretty soon how they are dried.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Give them to friends and they'll preserve them and you in their good memories
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Chants loose a lot of the volatile flavors and don't rehydrate well.  You want to saute, and freeze (vaccum seal ideally).
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chants loose a lot of the volatile flavors and don't rehydrate well.  You want to saute, and freeze (vaccum seal ideally).
View Quote
I think I'll do this. I just found a bunch more that I didn't pick. I'm literally stepping on them in the woods everywhere I go.  There is a bumper crop this year in southern Ohio.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think I'll do this. I just found a bunch more that I didn't pick. I'm literally stepping on them in the woods everywhere I go.  There is a bumper crop this year in southern Ohio.
View Quote
Got my bumper crop last year almost 40 lbs.  So far maybe 5 this year.   Canning works for some mushrooms like oyster, I just have no experience how that would go with chants.
I want to take some of the large goldens that still have the apricot smell and brew some beer with it.  Several breweries here are experimenting with wild forage mushroom beers.  Devil's Backbone just made a Shroom Bock with chants, morels and porcinni.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Give them to friends and they'll preserve them and you in their good memories
View Quote
I've tried. Most won't eat them because they aren't morels. Their loss.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've tried. Most won't eat them because they aren't morels. Their loss.
View Quote
Funny and true!  I was giving them to people in my rural area and they thought I was trying to poison them.  However, I work in DC some and can easily sell them for $30/lb.  Country folks can be very ignorant of their own surroundings.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what we do.  Melt several tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, pile up the mushrooms, saute until the liquid appears and is reabsorbed.  Put into sandwich bags and vacuum seal (keeps liquid from being sucked out).  Freeze, and they will keep a very long time.  Well they would if you don't use them up!  

Pull out the night before you need and defrost in the fridge.

None up yet around here as it's been too dry for too long.  Couple weeks after the first rains and it will be time again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what we do.  Melt several tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, pile up the mushrooms, saute until the liquid appears and is reabsorbed.  Put into sandwich bags and vacuum seal (keeps liquid from being sucked out).  Freeze, and they will keep a very long time.  Well they would if you don't use them up!  

Pull out the night before you need and defrost in the fridge.

None up yet around here as it's been too dry for too long.  Couple weeks after the first rains and it will be time again.
View Quote
Thinking about going behind my house tomorrow to look since its been raining....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top