Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 1:40:57 AM EDT
Hello,  the wife and I are selling our home and moving out to our 80 ac home stead dream. The issue here is we will be on the home stead for some time before our home sells, more than likely. Meaning we can't afford the well for some time so we plan to store water in a 1500 gallon above ground poly tank until the house sells and we get the well. Any suggestions on how to prevent the tank from freezing? We can have some cold winters in these parts 40° to -20° .
One idea I had was to build a straw bales structure around the tank.
Thanks for any help :)
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered a pre-cast in ground cistern?

No freeze issues and much more capacity.

Possibly run gutters to it to catch water and can always be used later as a holding tank for the well water.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Go underground, can anything less is a compromise 

If the below freezing events are relatively short lived, straw bales a few layers deep will provide excellent insulation.

You can also make a redneck water heater with copper pipe (the flexible type), water pump, and a fire. I use this setup to heat our pool, when we have one. If things get cold, make a fire and run the pump. easy to have boiling water coming out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how cold and the duration of the cold.  If it is weeklong period with far below freezing temps, then supplemental heat will likely be required for any above ground setting.  That said, 1500 gallons of water is a huge heat mass.  If you don't don't have cover over the tank, and you paint it black, it should accumulate enough heat to prevent freezing for most shorter durations  assuming your tank is exposed to good sun.  Straw bales will insulate the tank, but will also inhibit heat (from the sun) to warm the water, so it is a double edged sword.  You could berm the shaded side and the thermal mass of the ground will also assist.

Double check with the poly tank manufacturer for recommendations, different composition plastics change in flexibility in cold.

If you have grid power, they make submersible tank heaters that plug into an outlet.  If you're plumbing the tank to your building, then you'll need to insulate and heat strip your pipes anyway, to prevent freeze damage.quote]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of good thoughts here. I think I like the idea of just putting a underground type tank in and using it later as a extra storage along with the well. But will there be any issue with a ug tank lasting  or are they pretty tough?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of good thoughts here. I think I like the idea of just putting a underground type tank in and using it later as a extra storage along with the well. But will there be any issue with a ug tank lasting  or are they pretty tough?
View Quote
I have what is typical around here. It is 3 pieces of pre-cast concrete stacked and holds 8,000 gallons.

I have about 1200 sq ft of roof that catches water and I buy VERY little water. Ymmv due to typical rainfall of course.

It really is as simple as dig a hole, put some level sand in the bottom and call the supplier/installer.

Other than the occasional cleaning (and sealing if you choose) it will be trouble free for basically ever.

edited for clarity
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Cisterns have been used for 100s of years.  My parents have one.  Now and then it can be a good idea to drain it and clean it, so research access to one.  Theirs has a manhole cover.

It is under their poured garage floor with manhole access in garage.

Use a well pump and filter setup and a pressure bladder tank just like I had on my well pump, their pump system is different of course cause they are not having to pump it up 80ft but I hope you get the idea.

Change filters now and again, maybe every quarter or so.

Designed right they are a definate bonus.  Done poorly, and I hate em.

For your winter you would be needing to do hale bales for insulation, you can read up on how many bales equal x amount of insulation, and also probably need a heat source.  This is for if you stay above ground.

Cistern in the ground gets you down to where the earth won't freeze and you will be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top