Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2017 3:03:12 PM EDT
Anyone make a set of tire chains for their ~20 hp garden tractor?  I can add weight to my rig, but it has the turf tires, so just a bit of added grip would be nice.  I priced new tractor type tires and that isn't happening.  

I have several hundred feet of chain I got for pocket change years ago.  I know I can buy something, but I have the chain, and it is fun to make my own things.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure it can be done. Normally, the chain is not standard log type chain, but the links for both the ladder "legs" and the "runs" are different, built for their own purpose.

I wouldn't personally do it, but let us know how it turns out 

Oh, pics are mandatory 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had the chain all ready, I would attempt it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
all the chains we use are more of a square style link not a rounded style like "log chain" I would sure try to make some if you had plenty. You will need chain cross link hooks and then pinch them shut to hold them to the side chains. make sure you leave plenty of room for stretch to tighten them up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Since your in the snow belt check with anyone you know that works for state highway dept or swing by ona Friday afternoon.
They toss a lot of old chains that are worn but you could cut, cobble, and quicklink what you need for CHEAP.

Ice cold 6 pack of Coke on a hot day may be all it costs you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top